Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Getting Turn Signal to turn on as White

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting Turn Signal to turn on as White

Not many responses (none) from my previous attempt at getting this answers, so thought I would ask my question a little differently.

So we have a 2015 Sports Edition with the LED turn signals. We have the adaptive headlights and always have the headlight switch in the Auto position. What I am trying to figure out is how to get the LED turn singles to turn on as white with the running lights (like the first picture, only in white) and then also when the headlights are on (like the second picture). I thought they were supposed to turn on with the headlights from the factory but ours don't even do that? Even if they did turn on with the headlights from the factory how do you get them to turn on with the DRL. No matter what position I put the headlight switch in they never turn on white, only light up amber when the turn signal is engaged.

How did the guy in the first picture get them to turn on with his DRLs?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:27 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same vehicle and it is totally annoying that Audi opted for no front fogs on our vehicles. I will be following this thread and hope someone on this board has a answer.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To my knowledge, there is no way to do what you're asking on a stock vehicle, at least not in the US. I suspect your sample picture has been modified with some kind of aftermarket LED strip that's either always white or has a color-change capability (i.e. LEDs alternate white/orange along the strip). A product like this would do what you're asking: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32862375107.html. I certainly won't vouch for the quality, legality, or compatibility with your specific car, though.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks as though the bottom picture is from a 2009 and lower Q7 as the headlight shape and outer xenon headlamps have the same appearance, also the inner light shape as seen is the round DRL’s that this era of q7 has. You can buy aftermarket LED turn/ parker lamps from ebay etc which allow 2009 and below to have this style of blinker. When the parker lights are switched on or normal driving lights are on the lights will be white then as you turn in a direction one will blink orange as the other one stays white until you stop blinking etc.
As said these lights fit perfectly into a pre 2010 q7 as the mountings are different to the LED versions of post 2009 models.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

agree, photo #2 is aftermarket pre-face lift.. photo #1 is post-facelift OEM.

These are not RGB LED's you can change colors, they are DOT Approved lights emitting the right wavelength.. if they could change colors the'd never get approval.

the real question is, why care so much about foglights? I pretty much never use em because it requires disabling the auto on, turning, and high speed dynamic capabilities.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 04-30-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed Dreadlocks. Worse design ever!! Why couldn't they have made it a button to push, like the newer versions! I've had to use them a few times, and I always end up turning the **** quickly over so the headlights don't turn off when driving.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for everyone's responses. Unfortunately, those were the answers I was worried I was going to get.

Dreadlock, I was trying to find a way that they would automatically turn on with the DRL LEDs that are around the headlights. I agree with you, I would not make any changes that disabled the features you mentioned.