Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Going to start some mods...what to do?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Going to start some mods...what to do?

Well I'm going to start a exploring what mods to do on my Q7 and wanted to get some ideas on what other have done to improve the ride, look, etc...of their vehicle. As you can see I've done a fair number of mods on my C6, so looking to do likewise on my Q7. Some of the things I was thinking of are the following and if you happen to have links or advice on any of them, please add to the thread:
  1. VCDS mods - already have these implemented, but was wondering if someone has programmed auto-closing side-mirrors when the vehicle is locked?
  2. Aluminum pedals (dead, brake, gas) - what have others added to their car?
  3. Adding a clear bra - most likely Xpel up front and side protection
  4. sway bars - in my C6 they made an enormous difference
  5. running boards - what have others used?
  6. Clean grill - I like these, but I also like the factory installed one, does someone have better pics of an installed one?
  7. LED interior light update via deAuto LED...I really like their products and they stand by them
Old 03-06-2018, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

1. Nope this is not available to us.. but one thing you might of missed was recoding your transmission to a Cayenne mapping see: Cayenne Transmission Map in T3 Touareg V6TDI - Club Touareg Forums
2. I grabbed some out of a Salvage yard for a Touareg and they fit perfectly, also quite a bit cheaper than the V10 Q7 pedals from Europe.
3. null
4. Its a SUV yet the body roll on mine w/Air Suspension is very minimal, cant see this being worthwhile.. thing is too heavy to smash corners like a sports car.
5. If I could find a nice set of OEM ones for cheap I'd slap em on a heartbeat, otherwise meh
6. Ive got front camera and adaptive cruise controll, I'd really like a black optics grille but the one you linked will loose me features so its a non-starter..
7. Been meaning to do this, just havent gotten around to it.

Other mods I've done:
- 17in Cayenne wheels w/All Terrains, ride quality went way up and this thing is now a monster in the snow, mud or on forest service roads.
- Dashcam w/Low Voltage Disconnect
- Weathertech rear floor mats, the grey matches my grey carpet perfectly and it goes over hump.. great for the kiddos in winter.
- VCDS to disable rear door lock buttons, they only lock and dont unlock.. kids can lock you out too easy.
- Weathertech Window Deflectors

Soon Mods:
- Frostheater
- NGP Rear Bumper protector so dogs dont scratch up bumper getting in and out like they did on my Golf
- Malone Stage 2 Tune w/DPF/SCR Delete
- Upgrade foglights to something brighter, preferably yellow in color.
- Full Size Spare to put in trailer or roof basket
- Change brake compounds to something a lil less dusty
Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
1. Nope this is not available to us.. but one thing you might of missed was recoding your transmission to a Cayenne mapping see: Cayenne Transmission Map in T3 Touareg V6TDI - Club Touareg Forums
2. I grabbed some out of a Salvage yard for a Touareg and they fit perfectly, also quite a bit cheaper than the V10 Q7 pedals from Europe.
3. null
4. Its a SUV yet the body roll on mine w/Air Suspension is very minimal, cant see this being worthwhile.. thing is too heavy to smash corners like a sports car.
5. If I could find a nice set of OEM ones for cheap I'd slap em on a heartbeat, otherwise meh
6. Ive got front camera and adaptive cruise controll, I'd really like a black optics grille but the one you linked will loose me features so its a non-starter..
7. Been meaning to do this, just havent gotten around to it.

Other mods I've done:
- 17in Cayenne wheels w/All Terrains, ride quality went way up and this thing is now a monster in the snow, mud or on forest service roads.
- Dashcam w/Low Voltage Disconnect
- Weathertech rear floor mats, the grey matches my grey carpet perfectly and it goes over hump.. great for the kiddos in winter.
- VCDS to disable rear door lock buttons, they only lock and dont unlock.. kids can lock you out too easy.
- Weathertech Window Deflectors

Soon Mods:
- Frostheater
- NGP Rear Bumper protector so dogs dont scratch up bumper getting in and out like they did on my Golf
- Malone Stage 2 Tune w/DPF/SCR Delete
- Upgrade foglights to something brighter, preferably yellow in color.
- Full Size Spare to put in trailer or roof basket
- Change brake compounds to something a lil less dusty
Thanks for the feedback and here I was thinking the Q7 sub was just for those to read vs. actually respond

As for the side mirrors, I might try a relay which auto-enables when locked.

Good point on the grille, I've got added features (i.e. front camera) that wouldn't work with an aftermarket option, so it's a no-go for me as well.

I am very interested in adding a dashcam - can you link to your install write-up on the dashcam?

Lastly, I'll be updating my fogs as well to a brighter option and will be going with the following:
Complete LED Fog Light Kit with no glare Fits: Volkswagen Atlas | deAutoKey They show as Atlas, but they work in the Q7 as well.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VCDS mods - already have these implemented
I'd be interested in what you did and found works, I got my vcds cable and software but haven't done any mods yet. My transmission came up with coding 001378 right now, which does seem to have byte 1 bit 1 set so perhaps I need to just try it. Beyond that I thought about doing the VIM mod, but I've honestly never used video on the MMI at all, what's the point beyond that? I did want to look at increasing the heated steering wheel temp to 30 or 31 from the default 28 hoping that would make it seem to last longer since to me it cools down quite quickly when in use.

As for other mods, I've considered the Magnaflow cat-back system at $1k which is a lot cheaper than the others available ($2k and $2.5k for Militek and Supersprint that I've seen). Also the APR stage 1 and 2 tune and pulley would be nice. But not until the CPO warranty is over, don't need any TD1 to kill it off early. Also considered getting paint correction and ceramic coating, but wow it's $$$!

All I've done so far is a Valentine One detector with the blendmount mirror mount and taps to connect out of the headliner. [edit] Would love to get a dashcam also, wonder if I can somehow hang that off the mirror as well...

Last edited by foglem; 03-06-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When I get my camper I was planning on enabling VIM and hooking up a camera on the back so I can use it as a rear view mirror.. thats about the only use I can come up with for it.

Also wanting to get some OEM quattro puddle lights, but ouch they expensive.

I did not document installing the dashcam, its pretty straight forward.. shrug.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I will be blacking out the chrome strips. also have front cams
Painted over Thule logo and blacked out locks!Let me know how that relay works out! I was informed that it would take an entire wiring harness, but I still can't believe it.
I will also be adding weather-tech mats all around and rain vents. Dread, did you use clear or tint? My windows are dark, so wondering how it will look.
When my tires go bald, I will be changing for something meaner also.
I will be checking out LED fogs and interior, eventually. Not my priority. That would be rigging for trailer tow!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When I get my camper I was planning on enabling VIM and hooking up a camera on the back so I can use it as a rear view mirror.. thats about the only use I can come up with for it.

Also wanting to get some OEM quattro puddle lights, but ouch they expensive.

I did not document installing the dashcam, its pretty straight forward.. shrug.
Where did you tap for electrical and what dashcam did you use? What's your experience with it so far: clarity in day/night, back-up, ease of viewing options/download, etc...?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I did an add-a-circuit to one of these:
Amazon Amazon
and its shoved behind the fuse panel box, I can open it up and make adjustments if I wanted.. then tucked wire behind pillar/window seal.. The camera is a DR650 w/a polarized filter, I'd suggest the new DR590 though its got a better sensor.

It gets on the onboard WiFi and I can watch remotely, also connects to home Wifi where I can download off recordings automatically w/some scripts I wrote.. I cant see a great way to hook up a rear camera. I installed mine over the mirror but kinda want to move it behind the mirror now because the wiper blades dont reach it.

I also have a WD Wireless Passport installed under the seat, it has a ton of movies and music on it.. all our tablets have Plex clients on em and passengers can watch whatever even w/poor data connectivity.. it has a SD card reader slot and when im on vacation I put the dashcam card in and press copy to make a copy of that day's drive for my own personal archive.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-06-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did an add-a-circuit to one of these: https://www.amazon.com/VicoVation-Vi.../dp/B00ZPLSITE and its shoved behind the fuse panel box, I can open it up and make adjustments if I wanted.. then tucked wire behind pillar/window seal.. The camera is a DR650 w/a polarized filter, I'd suggest the new DR590 though its got a better sensor.

It gets on the onboard WiFi and I can watch remotely, also connects to home Wifi where I can download off recordings automatically w/some scripts I wrote.. I cant see a great way to hook up a rear camera. I installed mine over the mirror but kinda want to move it behind the mirror now because the wiper blades dont reach it.

I also have a WD Wireless Passport installed under the seat, it has a ton of movies and music on it.. all our tablets have Plex clients on em and passengers can watch whatever even w/poor data connectivity.. it has a SD card reader slot and when im on vacation I put the dashcam card in and press copy to make a copy of that day's drive for my own personal archive.
I like that, I use plex for everything at home and it would be wonderful to have it available in the car for the kids. So the WD Wireless Passport comes with Plex Server or is that something you had to hack into it?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It comes on it: https://www.plex.tv/wd-my-passport-wireless-pro/

It does not however support transcoding, so they need to be in a format that all your devices can play natively.. I handbrake'd a bunch of movies into 720p/h264/Stereo then copied em to the drive over usb3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to start some mods...what to do?