Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

hardwiring a tekonsha electronic brake controller with factory harness

Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by delasem
mtesh73

Thanks for the post and VERY detailed installation instructions, helped me get my 2009 Q7 TDI wired up with a Tekonsha P3. One issue i'm having is that the unit will not power off after the car has been shut off, even after several hrs the device still on???

Did you have this issue?

Thanks
Yes. It has 12 volts applied to it 24/7.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me add my voice to the chorus of thanks for this excellent post. however, kiddies, it is now SILLY QUESTION TIME!

Where did you mount the controller, and would you do it differently now?

Just got my 2015 Q7 last week, enjoying it immensely! Getting ready to tow small trailers and large children.

thanks, Jim
Old 12-01-2014, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q7-retired
let me add my voice to the chorus of thanks for this excellent post. however, kiddies, it is now SILLY QUESTION TIME!

Where did you mount the controller, and would you do it differently now?

Just got my 2015 Q7 last week, enjoying it immensely! Getting ready to tow small trailers and large children.

thanks, Jim
The photo shows where I mounted it on my 2010 Q7.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dutch, thanks again for the excellent post. I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 today in my 2015 Q7

using the recommended parts and procedures. I mounted my controller center-line under the steering column so it wouldn't be a knee-knocker during entry/ exit/ driving.

Pictures attached of controller location, completed wiring harness and a fuzzy picture of the labeling I used on the harness to avoid confusion and triple-check wire color matching.

Controller location centerline under steering column

wiring harness

fuzzy labeling
Old 12-31-2014, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q7-retired
Dutch, thanks again for the excellent post. I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 today in my 2015 Q7
You're more than welcome.

Was the connector on the Q7 for the controller located up near the OBD2 plug? It was on my 2010 Q7, and I'm going to have to find it when my 2015 Q7 arrives.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
You're more than welcome.

Was the connector on the Q7 for the controller located up near the OBD2 plug? It was on my 2010 Q7, and I'm going to have to find it when my 2015 Q7 arrives.
Yes, just above and to the left, very nearly touching the OBD plug. It was coiled into a Z-pattern, with the giveaway being the same gray colored foam covering it. Held into the coil with whitish masking tape. I really only had two difficulties and one worry:

D1. getting the footwell light unclipped. There is a single retainer on top, which i depressed with an awl (sharp, pointy thing) while wiggling the clip sideways with the small screw driver. I always worry about two-sided clips, and breaking one of the retainers, so maybe knowing there is only the top retainer on the 2015 will help someone.

D2. routing the cable harness. I finally chose to have the wire bundle come out from over the cavity cover in the same slot as the brake pedal. I tie-wrapped the bundle to make it a single "cable" and tie-wrapped it into a couple of strategic places so it would feed directly to the controller mount. I do not believe the action of the brake pedal will contact the wiring bundle and cause insulation wear, but I'll check periodically.

Worry. Getting the cabling wrong. To combat my own stupidity and CRS, I first drew a picture of each connector, facing each other, with the colors indicated. Using your color line-up, I made up the connector at my desk, with extra labeling, then triple-check when at the 'Q.

Please let me know if you want additional pictures.

I plan to take the controller out of the 'Q whenever am not towing for a period of time, so I used the slide mount and left enough slack in the cable bundle. I think this will solve the "always on" issue mentioned by others.

Again, thanks for your pioneering work! Best, Jim
Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm looking to install one on my 14 Q7. found the connector

The wiring pdf from tekonsha that someone posted mentioned a relay for some models.

where do you get the ground and 12v lines for the relay?

does the primus need this?

thanks,
Bill
Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by schwartzw
I'm looking to install one on my 14 Q7. found the connector

The wiring pdf from tekonsha that someone posted mentioned a relay for some models.

where do you get the ground and 12v lines for the relay?
In my 2010 Q7 I found an always hot spot in an empty fuse slot in one of the fuse blocks in the left side of the dash. There's also a screw that can be used as a ground.

I haven't yet looked in my 2015, but I'm hoping it's pretty much the same.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you take a picture of that fuse box so I can see where it is and how you tapped into it?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, where did you get the relay?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hardwiring a tekonsha electronic brake controller with factory harness