Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Has anyone done an Android TV install on the MMI 3G for your Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone done an Android TV install on the MMI 3G for your Q7?

I saw it done on a 2008 Q7 and was thinking about installing an Android TV unit. I know there are quite a few instruction vids out there, though I didn't see anything specific to the Q7 and in keeping the rest of the controls. I'd love to see/hear about what you've done and where you may have found some info on getting it installed.

Thank you!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

You'd have to use the remote, its not going to integrate into the MMI controls.. its basically just a video input and thats that.

I thought about doing such a thing, but now I'm just going to hook up a camera on the back of the camper.. I got a 2TB WD Portable WiFi HDD I leave in the Q7, the kids/wife can watch TV/Movies on their tablets via Plex.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya, the one I saw had the remote as well, which is to be expected.

Would love to get something tidy in there that could come up when I go to the Aux route.

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
You'd have to use the remote, its not going to integrate into the MMI controls.. its basically just a video input and thats that.

I thought about doing such a thing, but now I'm just going to hook up a camera on the back of the camper.. I got a 2TB WD Portable WiFi HDD I leave in the Q7, the kids/wife can watch TV/Movies on their tablets via Plex.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

curious how you got this to work, I tried doing the same thing. I have a HD, bought the USB to MMI cable off amazon but I can't get the car to recognize the drive regardless of the way its formatted.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Its not plugged into the MMI, Its one of these:
Amazon Amazon

It joins the AudiConnect Wifi, phones/tablets connect to the HDD WiFi.. I put it in the cargo net behind the passenger seat and plugged it into the nearby 12v port.. It runs a Plex Media Server (no transcoding, so files have to be in a format consumable by devices).. I filled it up with my music, audio books, movies and cartoons.. nothing displays on the onboard screen but a device can bluetooth stream out speakers if wanted (AudioBooks), but usually going to headphones.. I use it to make backups of the dashcam w/SD card reader, and our cameras while on vacation so we can clear cards and take more pics.

Originally I thought about putting a ShieldTV in there for the plex server, it can transcode on the fly.. was gonna hook it up to MMI w/a RGB Video cable, HDMI Adapter, Etc.. but this was simpler and cheaper, and works better for our needs.. Still going to get a MMI Video Cable, but its going to get hooked to a wireless camera on the back of my camper, since my rearview mirror is useless when towing.

I tried putting memory cards into the kids tablets full of media, but that didnt work because the version of Android they run wont let restricted kid accounts access the memory card.. so WiFi streaming was the best solution.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 09-19-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Its not plugged into the MMI, Its one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6H1LY6/

It joins the AudiConnect Wifi, phones/tablets connect to the HDD WiFi.. I put it in the cargo net behind the passenger seat and plugged it into the nearby 12v port.. It runs a Plex Media Server (no transcoding, so files have to be in a format consumable by devices).. I filled it up with my music, audio books, movies and cartoons.. nothing displays on the onboard screen but a device can bluetooth stream out speakers if wanted (AudioBooks), but usually going to headphones.. I use it to make backups of the dashcam w/SD card reader, and our cameras while on vacation so we can clear cards and take more pics.

Originally I thought about putting a ShieldTV in there for the plex server, it can transcode on the fly.. was gonna hook it up to MMI w/a RGB Video cable, HDMI Adapter, Etc.. but this was simpler and cheaper, and works better for our needs.. Still going to get a MMI Video Cable, but its going to get hooked to a wireless camera on the back of my camper, since my rearview mirror is useless when towing.

I tried putting memory cards into the kids tablets full of media, but that didnt work because the version of Android they run wont let restricted kid accounts access the memory card.. so WiFi streaming was the best solution.
Genius. Thank You.