Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

how do I inflate the collapsible spare?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I inflate the collapsible spare?

Has anyone successfully inflated the collapsible spare? There are no instructions in the manual, and it has this screw valve that you must screw either in or out to inflate it, I tried both ways. What's the correct procedure?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

are you using the compressor that comes with the vehicle?

INFLATE THE SPARE TIRE FIRST – it is important to remember that you must inflate the spare tire before placing it on the vehicle
Remove the compressor from the luggage compartment
Unscrew the valve stem from the spare tire
Screw the tire filler hose from the compressor firmly onto the valve of the spare tire
Insert the plug from the compressor into a socket of the vehicle
Switch the compressor on
Let the compressor run until it has reached 50 PSI (3.5 bar)
Switch the compressor off after running for 8 minutes at the most (danger of overheating)
Screw in and tighten all wheel bolts slightly
Remove the alignment pin and insert and tighten the remaining wheel bolt slightly like the rest
Turn the jack handle counter-clockwise to lower the vehicle until the jack is fully released
Use the wheel bolt wrench to tighten all wheel bolts firmly
Tighten them crosswise, from one bolt to the (approximately) opposite one, to keep the wheel centered

http://ageronetworknews.blogspot.com...tire-with.html
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this procedure is listed in the owner's manual too...as it should be.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it is...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blow harder
Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I managed to solve ot after several trials

I have an Audi Q5 2013, I managed to overcome the collapsible tyre problem,
The problem when u try to inflate the tyre with car compressor is that sometimes the tyre is not properly fitted in its rim so the air is leaked out and the tyre will never inflate, with the strong compressor at service center you won’t find a problem to inflate it, as the strong air pressure will overcome the leakage.
so the solution is to keep some air inside the tyre when you deflate it to make sure it is fitted with the Rim, then when you try to inflate using the provided car compressor it will inflate properly with no problems,
attached images showing:
-The level of air you have to keep inside the tyre.
- The tyre can fit in its place even if not completely deflated.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes in two different occasions with no issues. Once you are done, it gets deflated and goes back in.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:19 AM
08' Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No such luck for me. I just cleaned out the spare tire bay in my 08 Q7 and decided to inflate the spare just to make sure it’s good and give it a nice coat of tire shine just to keep the rubber soft. Problem is I can’t inflate the tire.... It looks like the bead of the tire is slightly slipped off center from the rim and the air just sprays out. I even used my own air compressor set at 100psi to try quickly blasting air into the tire and forcing it to reseat properly, but no such luck. I’m hoping Les Schwab can Repair the mounting position of the tire on the rim so I have a usable spare. Right now if I got a flat on the side of the road I would be SOL.... I wish I could just get the tire inflated and leave it in the bay in a fully inflated state, but I doubt it would fit.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

I got a full size spare on the roof, new Q7's dont even come with a space saver.. eek

Good on you for testing your spare before needing it, something often overlooked.. I check spare tires out at least every other year and cant tell you how many times I found em basically flat or otherwise in poor condition.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25
No such luck for me. I just cleaned out the spare tire bay in my 08 Q7 and decided to inflate the spare just to make sure it’s good and give it a nice coat of tire shine just to keep the rubber soft. Problem is I can’t inflate the tire.... It looks like the bead of the tire is slightly slipped off center from the rim and the air just sprays out. I even used my own air compressor set at 100psi to try quickly blasting air into the tire and forcing it to reseat properly, but no such luck. I’m hoping Les Schwab can Repair the mounting position of the tire on the rim so I have a usable spare. Right now if I got a flat on the side of the road I would be SOL.... I wish I could just get the tire inflated and leave it in the bay in a fully inflated state, but I doubt it would fit.
Glad you brought this to light. I’ve looked at my spare tire a couple of times since I bought the car and thought it looked strange. Didn’t realize it was deflated by design. Looked again today to see if I have the compressor and I don’t . Need to figure out what to do about that. Taking a road trip to Disneyland from the Bay Area and it would be very inconvenient if I was to get a flat.

Quick Reply: how do I inflate the collapsible spare?