Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

How to install DVD Headrest and Power Tapping

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install DVD Headrest and Power Tapping

Well, last night I managed to install DVD head rests and it all powered up. Below, I will provide instructions on the installation and how to tap the power for the head rest. I installed Vizualogic A-1280, however I think you can use the below instructions as guidelines for other models as well. I will divide up the install in three sections: 1) Head rest mount 2) Controller mount 3) Power tapping. Sorry no pictures.

Head Rest Mount
- Follow the instructions provided on my other thread “How to remove seat backs” to remove and install the head rests. I will not go into details for that here.
- You can route the two wires to the rectangular opening at the bottom (for the floor lamp) or just to the bottom side.
- Ensure you leave good enough slack for the wires.
- Since you will route all the wires to the passenger side, you will need to have enough length for the driver side wires to make it over to the passenger side.

Controller Mount
- I spent an hour trying to figure out where I am going to mount this thing. There really is no room under the seats or anywhere for this controller unit to go. I finally decided on the first aide kit tray located under the passenger seat. I am guessing all Q7’s have this. Under the passenger seat, there is a pull out tray that has the red first aide kit. If you take out the first aide kit, there is plenty of room there for the controller unit to be mounted. I was second thinking this option, because I thought that would be a great place to store a hand gun, but thought otherwise.
- Below instructions are for those who chose to use the first aide kit tray to mount their controller.
- If you pull the tray all the way out, you will see that the top back of the tray has pretty good size holes for the 4 DVD wires to go into. I checked by pushing a long metal rod into it and it comes out at the back bottom of the passenger seat.
- Now for the power wires. I plan to use the fuse box to connect the power (more on this next section), so I need the power wires to come out from the front of the tray.
- I drilled a 0.5 cm hole on the front of the tray. Just below the hand latch used to pull the tray out (so you cannot see the hole). I routed the power wires out from that hole.
- To route the DVD wires (four of them), I tied the wires to a rod and pushed it out of the back of the tray and pulled it out from the back of the passenger seat. This part was the most trickiest. There are a lot of wires (for the power seats) and metal rods. Your wire may get stuck. After inserting the DVD wires to the back of the tray, pull the entire seat forward. This will help and you may see the wires coming out of the tray from the back.
- Once you have pulled the four DVD wires from the back of the passenger seat, you can connect all four wires to the wires from the head rests.
- Now, send the passenger seat all the way back. Connect the DVD wires to the controller unit and the power wires to the controller unit (if not already done so).
- You can choose to leave the controller un-mounted inside the tray or mount it with couple of screws. I decided to mount it with screws since I did not want it moving around. If you decide to mount it, ensure you leave enough rooms to attach A/V IN and A/V OUT cables later.
- Drill four small holes for the screws to go into (aligning it with the mounting holes from the controller) and screw them in.

Power Tapping
- I spent another hour figuring out where to tap the power. I checked the rear cigarette lighter sockets, but both of them were constant power – meaning power will be on the whole time (even with engine off). This is no good, since it can drain your battery fast. Only other option was to use the fuse box located on the passenger side (hence the use of tray was not too bad).
- For Vizualogic, power wires came in 4. Ground, ACC, BAT, and Parking. We do not need to worry about Parking, since it is not in the front. I rolled up the Parking wire and stuffed it into the tray. Now, we need to connect all three wires. For the ground, we need to find a suitable metal connection in the car. For the ACC (meaning Accessory Power), we need to find non-constant power and BAT (meaning Constant Power), we need to find constant power supply.
- Pry open the covering located on the passenger side console (next to the door). There are three latches, you can use a flathead screw driver to pry it open. This is where the fuse box is located.
- If you look at the fuse box, there are three rows of fuses. In some rows, there are empty slots. In some empty slots, there are metal contacts. On mine, there were two empty slots with metal connectors (at the bottom) on the very first row of fuses. On the second row, there was one empty slot with metal contact.
- The two slots on the first rows are 12V Constant Power. One slot on the second row is 12V Acc Power (I think).
- Connect three wire clips (those things that look like a U or Y) for the three wires so you can hook it up to the fuse box.
- I used the black torx screw (top center) holding the fuse box to hook up my Ground wire. Since it was mounted on metal, this should be good.
- Connect the BAT (Constant Power) wire to the empty slot on the first row. Connect the ACC (Accessory Power) wire to the empty slot on the second row.
- My wires came with fuses for the ACC and BAT, so I did not install any fuses. If yours did not, I recommend putting a fuse for both.
- I routed the wires coming off from the first aide kit tray under the floor mat and to the door side. You can squeeze the remaining wires inside the plastic side panel leading to the fuse box. This way you do not see any wires.
- Put the fuse panel covering back and you are ready to go.
- This setup only turns on the DVD unit when the ignition is on and powers down when the ignition is off.

I hope this helps some of you. Again, sorry about no pictures – I may take some over the weekends for the relevant parts. With the instructions, it should take about an hour to do the installation. It took me little longer since I had to plan first.

I am currently using the built-in FM Modulator for the sound, but it is not very good. I plan to install Dension Gateway for the sound input.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 02-12-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WORKED PERFECT!! GREAT DIY EVEN THE BACK TO THE FRONT SEATS!! I WAS THE 12V CIG POWER SOURCE USING A T-TAP. I INSTALLED THE INVISION DUAL HEADREST REVii THANKS!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pictures? would love to some pictures of the installation