Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

How to re-align windshield wiper arms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:28 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to re-align windshield wiper arms?

The windshield on my 2015 Q7 was replaced earlier this week, and it seems the independent shop didn't get the wipers back in the original position. When parked, they're now quite visible above the hood line. The passenger side arm now travels way too far (the tip comes all the way into the driver's line of sight), and it's just generally not right. I tried manually pushing them down lower, but the computer brings them right back up again when power is turned back on.

No doubt I'm looking at opening up the wiper arm caps and rotating the arms on the spindles, but is there a trick to the process or to getting them lined back up properly? Yes, I could take it back to the glass people, but I get the impression they hadn't seen many Q7's before, so I'd rather just do it myself.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I had a similar issue when Safelite replaced my Q7 windshield at work. Noticed it after the fact, stopped by their place of business on the way home from work. The tech knew right away what was wrong when he saw I had an Audi.

He took it to the service bay and had it fixed in about 10 minutes.

Not much help for you--just stating the tech knew how to fix it. Said VW same way.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:28 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
He took it to the service bay and had it fixed in about 10 minutes.
Well, that's at least encouraging that it must not be a hard job that requires effort and lots of tools (once you know what you're doing)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a wiper puller, remove the cap and unscrew the nut. Pull, realign and screw back
Old 07-01-2017, 11:40 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

the wiper arms look like they lock into the motor drive shaft with a square fitting. that doesn't leave many options for re-clocking. Does the shaft also come off too?

I've done this before on other cars where the wiper and shaft are both splined, which makes it easy to realign. Not the case here, unless I'm missing something obvious.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry, the square you are talking about on the passenger side is free, only the spline is linked to the motor
Old 07-02-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Could they possibly be in service mode?

Grey
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having this exact same problem. Seems like there should be a way to reset it somehow, why would they get missaligned anyway... I did look though VCDS, but didn’t see anything for adjustment, besides putting the wipers at their beginning and end reach points. Were you able to realign the wipers? Did you end up pulling them off for realignment?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greystoke
Could they possibly be in service mode?

Grey
I'm saying ^^^^^ THIS! I would check the MMI setting for the wipers to see if they are in the service position.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely not in service mode...that brings them half way up. They are up by maybe a cm or so. It’s off just enough for the driver side wiper to slap the side of the windshield when all the way up.

Quick Reply: How to re-align windshield wiper arms?