Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Issues with MMI 2g / Bluetooth telephone module

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with MMI 2g / Bluetooth telephone module

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, however I'm not a stranger to the forum. Ever since I bought my 2007 Q7 I'm a regular visitor. This place has already helped me to find some answers to the few minor issues I had with my car.

However, this time I couldn't find anything, thus I decided to finally post and ask for advice.

Few days ago my MMI unit started to behave in a following way:

1) It turns on normally - without issue
2) It stops playing CD/Radio every 1-2 seconds
3) I cannot activate the telephone module

I plugged in the VCDS and got information:
1) 77 Telephone cannot be reached
2) When run the optic loop diagnostics few modules were in error state.

Based on my Internet research (also on this forum) I found out that this issue might be related to the Bluetooth module being busted.

However, each thread I found regarding this issue usually ended up in "Go to the dealer" and I would like to verify/diagnose as much as possible myself before going to the dealer. Here in Poland, the Audi dealership is not the best ever and they usually prefer "let's replace everything - client pays" attitude. Also, to be honest, the bluetooth functionality is not the most important one for me, so if possible I'd be happy just to make the MMI working - even without the BT.

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone here had such issue and managed to fix it without dealer/indie workshop?
2) Could someone tell me where exactly ( I know it's under one of the front seats) is the bluetooth module located?
3) I read somewhere that you can acquire a fiberoptic loop thingie that would allow to bypass the BT module and MMI should work fine then. Where should I put this loop thingie?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ps. Sorry for all the grammar mistakes - english is not my first language.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Teyeru
Hi everyone! This is my first post here, however I'm not a stranger to the forum. Ever since I bought my 2007 Q7 I'm a regular visitor. This place has already helped me to find some answers to the few minor issues I had with my car. However, this time I couldn't find anything, thus I decided to finally post and ask for advice. Few days ago my MMI unit started to behave in a following way: 1) It turns on normally - without issue 2) It stops playing CD/Radio every 1-2 seconds 3) I cannot activate the telephone module I plugged in the VCDS and got information: 1) 77 Telephone cannot be reached 2) When run the optic loop diagnostics few modules were in error state. Based on my Internet research (also on this forum) I found out that this issue might be related to the Bluetooth module being busted. However, each thread I found regarding this issue usually ended up in "Go to the dealer" and I would like to verify/diagnose as much as possible myself before going to the dealer. Here in Poland, the Audi dealership is not the best ever and they usually prefer "let's replace everything - client pays" attitude. Also, to be honest, the bluetooth functionality is not the most important one for me, so if possible I'd be happy just to make the MMI working - even without the BT. So my questions are: 1) Has anyone here had such issue and managed to fix it without dealer/indie workshop? 2) Could someone tell me where exactly ( I know it's under one of the front seats) is the bluetooth module located? 3) I read somewhere that you can acquire a fiberoptic loop thingie that would allow to bypass the BT module and MMI should work fine then. Where should I put this loop thingie? Thanks in advance for any help! Ps. Sorry for all the grammar mistakes - english is not my first language.
If you look at the optical errors look for the one that has failures on both hardware and software, that's the problem. If you can get the loop, get it for troubleshooting. If the optical cables are loose at a device, the system won't work, it's May be just a simple fix
Old 02-01-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My A6 has the same problem. It's extremely annoying when the radio cuts out every few seconds. I never had a problem until I disconnected a phone after pairing. Now it doesn't even show up. I planned to find a used module. I didn't know about the loop method. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, so after visiting one of the Audi magicians, I found out that:

1) The BT module was busted - due to overheating. Once we opened the case, you could clearly see the burn marks on the PCB. Apparently, the BT module used in that generation of Audis, has overheating problem.
2) BT module is located just behind the passenger's seat, bit under the A/C blower. Which caused the issue - since it's winter here, the heat was turned on really high and the module itself is quite heat generator by itself, so it fried.

I had to replace the BT module for a newer one - which has radiators and does not overheat that easily.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you remember the cost for the new BT module that you used? My 2007 A6 Quattro had the BT module fail recently. Dealership wanted $1,000 to fix.