Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks bozack.

Which engine and model year is your Q7?

Cheers

Originally Posted by bozack
more feedback on this as I just replaced mine. Didn't take me 5 minutes not even close but wasn't too bad getting the stock ones out.

Not too much of a louder or noticeable roar but does seem a tad deeper at certain rpms. For sure the car seems more responsive and less throttle twitchy like it was before.

As far as longevity I see it two ways. Yes, Audi engineers are most likely smarter but they also aren't going to invest any extra time or money for an expensive filter (on a non performance car essentially). That's why there are after market companies for all sorts of industries. Kinda like saying a higher, freer flowing exhaust will nuke your catalytic converters. Plus in this day and age of lawyers crawling out of every pore, if there were claims about shortening the life of the engine due to more particles being let in, K&N would have been cleared out long ago, plus with all the carbon build up talk we may have other longevity issues anyways, lol.

Also when compared to HVAC systems as in your home for instance, the upgraded Filtrete filters over the crappy standard ones not only allow better airflow but have a higher MERV rating in trapping larger and smaller particles, I see a K&N in similar light.

My 2 cents
Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3.6 on mine. Dont ever plan on buying another filter for the Q.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Careful

Just be careful of those sensor cable covers. They are made of a very soft delicate plastic fiber material. I made an inadvertent slight slice in mine while squeezing the old OEM filter out on the right side. No real damage but a bummer none the less. Audi does a great job in using all the real-estate, making it a tight squeeze removing the thicker OEM filter out. The K&N fit in with ease. Bought mine at auto anything.com and received them the next day for a great price. Very happy with the purchase.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

i installed one on my '08 S-line. no problem to remove OEM and replace - just open the air box (unclip the securing clips) pull out and replace. the angle of the air box cover and proximity of other equipment does make it a bit awkward, but nothing major to worry about.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine was a 4.2 and yup, it is tight in there like every other engine bay today
Old 05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did notice my exhaust note (sound) got better with the k&n
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

any updates? everyone happy with theirs? all is well?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put mine on a few months ago, sound and throttle response is great. Only thing I have noticed sometimes is in the morning now I may get a odd idle but it goes away.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i am guessing that is because cold engine revs higher to warm up the cats quicker for emission purposes... more air may throw it off for a second... (just speculation so take it for what its worth.) outside of that no issues with maf or anything? no oil film on the airbox or trumpet going into the maf?

i am asking because i have two of these sitting in the garage and have been reluctant to install them because i was initially selling the car and because i have heard a few stories on other cars and faulty maf.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing really to report or update on the K&N. Cant say I am noticing any significant difference in idle, mpg, response etc. To date I have not had a problem with these filters on other vehicles and been using them since mid 90's. Have K&N FIPK kit on one of my other SUV's, definitely noticed an improvement with that, even better with upgraded cat back exhaust etc.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter