Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

K&N Air Filter

Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

gotcha, i guess i will throw them in since i have them already and others have had good experience.

not looking for any substantial gains except a lil more sound at WOT and a new clean filter.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open air filters definitely have a deeper sound at WOT, maybe a little different with the drop in but not much.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

not looking to do anything but a drop in... i already have them, just havent installed them for some time as stated earlier.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

30+ mile update... not much difference in 'power' and i wasnt expecting any but i did notice in sport mode it keeps the gear longer and the revs now have a higher shift point. outside of that no real difference except for the fact that i now have two new clean filters vs. a couple thousand mile old paper filters.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving this subject, I have some BMC filters left over from my Porsche Cayenne Turbo that I just sold and never got them fitted into so am going to fit them to my 2008 4.2 TDI S Line (it needs filters and I have them already) but the angle of the boxes is making it so tight that i cant remove the existing ones without tearing them up in the process, so will be even harder to get the BMC ones in there I assume?

I removed the engine cover but that only makes a tiny bit of difference so opted to leave it and check here before I break something.

What's the process on the 4.2 oil burner please?

Thanks

Carl
Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

it would be easier to get the new filters in because they have a lower profile than the paper filter however if you're not confident in your wrenching skills dealer will charge 1hr labor... independent shop half.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, if this is the correct way I will get it done, just wanted to check first before forcing it in, only to find out later that a simple step had been missed and cause the problems.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in about K&N's.

I put a set in my E55 AMG.
The original equipment Mercedes filters were getting pretty old and plugged up so I purchased some Mann filters (original equipment on the car). The first thing I noticed with the new Mann filters was that it KILLED my MPG. I went from ~21 mixed highway/city to 17-18. Then I also noticed that at really high RPM and speed, the car didn't want to accelerate how it did before with the OEM filters.
Luckily the guys at the parts store were cool enough and let me return the filters.

Then I bought some K&N's. I didn't notice any difference in sound, however, I did immediately notice an improvement not only in gas mileage, but performance as well. My MPG jumped past the OEM filters 21MPG, to 23.1 MPG.
I also noticed my top end acceleration was back, and actually better than before.

Will check filtering soon.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great to hear good feedback, hopefully I will get the same outcome from the BMC filters?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Edge
Sure, you might get a slight HP improvement, but it will be negligible, and I, for one, would rather go out and buy a new OEM filter than oil and clean the K&N - pain in the ***.
you can use a drop-in AFE Dry-Flo... they're oil-less and have more breathability... i have used them on all my BMW but i dont know if they are available for Q7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter