Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Kind of Intersting on Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kind of Intersting on Windshield Replacement

Found this interesting....when I bought my 2008 Q7 4.2 a few months ago the windshield had an unrepairable crack in it, didn’t have a chance to have it replaced over the winter so decided to get it done now. I checked with Safelite home service and to have it replaced with new wipers it would be $539, I live in the Columbus, OH area, about 4 miles from their corporate offices.

So I also have a home in Western NC and I’m heading down there tomorrow morning, so for the heck of it I went online to check what it would cost to have it done there, keep in mind my house is on top of a mountain, 26 miles from the closest grocery store...so it’s out there. For exactly the same Safelite home service with wipers it’s $329, over $200 less, I fully expected it to be more....scheduled an appointment for Tuesday to have it done.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Make sure they replace the rain sensor gel pad on the inside. Usually they reuse it, and then your auto wipers won't work correctly. Then you have to go to audi, have them replace it! (Had it done)

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2019, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
Make sure they replace the rain sensor gel pad on the inside. Usually they reuse it, and then your auto wipers won't work correctly. Then you have to go to audi, have them replace it! (Had it done)

Good luck!
Thanks, will do....
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Built4Sin

Good luck!
Ah so thats why my auto wipers suddenly suck after breaking my window.. sigh, how much did Audi charge yeh to fix it?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Found the paperwork,
4E0-955-609 62.58 @ dealership
labor was 124.88

Total $187.46

So not a cheap fix!

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...4E0955609.html

Last edited by Built4Sin; 04-14-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for this post. Mine don’t work quite right either. ECS has the gel pad for $55(OEM), and on eBay has it for $4.35(China special).
Old 04-17-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Safelite was out yesterday, new windshield in and gel pack was replaced....
Old 04-18-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure they are quoting you the same windshield. I think the OEM Audi 4L0845099JNVB lists for around $800 at the dealer, so more than likely you're being quoted for a third party windshield and those can get very cheap in terms of quality and glass thickness.

The windshield repair place I go to works with lots of dealers and he has told me that Porsche actually has the same rain sensor gel as the Audi, but it's like half the price. He also said that on the Q7, it's actually not that difficult to swap out the rain sensor gel. I need to find a youtube video on how to do that. He also told me how cheap and crappy third party windshields can get, and for my LX470, OEM was $1500, but he recommended an aftermarket one that wasn't the cheapest, but was much higher quality compared to the lower end options. He was saying that some of the cheaper ones, he would have to be super careful installing since they were so thin compared to quality glass. Cheap glass is also more susceptible to rock chips and cracking.

So long story short, not all windshields are the same, and buying the cheapest sometimes isn't the best idea.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Make sure they are quoting you the same windshield. I think the OEM Audi 4L0845099JNVB lists for around $800 at the dealer, so more than likely you're being quoted for a third party windshield and those can get very cheap in terms of quality and glass thickness.

The windshield repair place I go to works with lots of dealers and he has told me that Porsche actually has the same rain sensor gel as the Audi, but it's like half the price. He also said that on the Q7, it's actually not that difficult to swap out the rain sensor gel. I need to find a youtube video on how to do that. He also told me how cheap and crappy third party windshields can get, and for my LX470, OEM was $1500, but he recommended an aftermarket one that wasn't the cheapest, but was much higher quality compared to the lower end options. He was saying that some of the cheaper ones, he would have to be super careful installing since they were so thin compared to quality glass. Cheap glass is also more susceptible to rock chips and cracking.

So long story short, not all windshields are the same, and buying the cheapest sometimes isn't the best idea.
Thanks, according to my receipt from Safelite it is OEM glass....
Old 04-18-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just pick up my 05 Q7 from Ace Glass. My insurance company told that they only pay for OEM glass which cost $800. The entire job cost the insurance 1200 and 100 for me. I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Kind of Intersting on Windshield Replacement