Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

LATCH anchor points in middle of 2nd row seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LATCH anchor points in middle of 2nd row seats?

I ordered a 2012 Audi Q7 in January. It's supposed to be here mid June. I was reading the Q7 brochure today and it says very clearly that there are only LATCH points "on the outboard positions" which means behind the driver and passenger. I just saw this and am very worried. I only want to put our infant in the center. I read there is a tether position in the center, but no LATCH points. A few questions.

1) Are there LATCH points in the center of the 2nd row seats (not the 3rd row)?

2) If there are no LATCH points, then I hear people borrowing the outboard LATCH points for the center. Is that safe? Does it seem stable?

3) Does anyone know of a safe position for a center infant seat for the 2nd row?

4) The center section looks kinda small. Can a "regular" children's carseat fit on the small section in the middle?

I really appreciate your inputs on this. I have to figure something out.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edporsche
I ordered a 2012 Audi Q7 in January. It's supposed to be here mid June. I was reading the Q7 brochure today and it says very clearly that there are only LATCH points "on the outboard positions" which means behind the driver and passenger. I just saw this and am very worried. I only want to put our infant in the center. I read there is a tether position in the center, but no LATCH points. A few questions.

1) Are there LATCH points in the center of the 2nd row seats (not the 3rd row)?

2) If there are no LATCH points, then I hear people borrowing the outboard LATCH points for the center. Is that safe? Does it seem stable?

3) Does anyone know of a safe position for a center infant seat for the 2nd row?

4) The center section looks kinda small. Can a "regular" children's carseat fit on the small section in the middle?

I really appreciate your inputs on this. I have to figure something out.
I just picked up my 2012 Q7 on Saturday and can comment on #1. There are no LATCH points in the center of the 2nd or 3rd row. I have the child seat behind the passenger seat.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. No.
2. Not safe and every piece of literature (seat and car manuals) say not to do that.
3/4. Yes, just secure with lap belt and tether

There are no 2nd row center seat latch anchors. Truth be told, it is as safe to secure a child seat with the middle seat lap belt as it is with latch anchors (though admittedly not as easy to get a tight fit). I have not tried this personally, but it seems doable.

I have our Britax Advocat 90 behind the passenger seat. You want it on the 60 part of the 60/40 split so that you can still slide the 40 seat forward. I find that if you put it on the 40 half or in the middle, it blocks the other side from sliding. YMMV based on the width of your seat.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate the candor. I agree with all your responses. I'll figure out the best approach for me after I install it. I don't mind not being able to get in the back. I don't need the third row. I found out that behind the passenger seat is the best if it's not in the center.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an infant seat in the middle seat of our 2012 Q7 using the seat belt and was able to get it in correctly and extremely tight. I did fold a towel to help protect the seat too.

I have a Chicco Keyfit 30 and don't have any issues with two adults and the car seat in the second row together.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have two recaro seats in my q7.. one on each side. reason why they say you cant use the center with latch is that there is no upper spot to attach the latch hook to like on the left and right. I prefer the outside anyway just for ease of access. Couldnt imagine having to lean in all the time to get my kid in and out.