Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

LED DRL Bulb swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side lights

i also changed the side light bulbs for LEDS also.

these ones are 5W5 and i used these ones:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501...LED-bulbs.html

again canbus error free bulbs. and so far (2 weeks) no problems.

these ones are bit trickier to replace. you need to remove the grill surrounding the light unit. this just unclips/pulls off. you need to be quite force full but be careful to snap the clips or plastic. once this is removed you need to unscrew the light unit, only 1 screw at each end is holding it in place. pull this forward to get access to the back of the unit and pull the bulb out.

you need to make sure you get the wedge bulb in the correct way for polarity or it wont work.

looks good though as they now match the xenons.

Name:  359db596.jpg
Views: 3427
Size:  91.8 KB

hard to see as its day time, i only wish they had made the section for this side light bigger.

Last edited by Hasser; 12-09-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default tail/brake light LEDS

so i also changed out the rear lights for LEDS.

Name:  7ec3a8a8.jpg
Views: 3308
Size:  149.9 KB

these were Ł27 a pair so Ł54 for the set of 4!! bit expensive and tbh i cant really see much difference!!

Name:  e36fa02a.jpg
Views: 3243
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  72f77965.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  173.9 KB

here, you just need a flat head screw driver to prise the cover off. no hassle. again these bulbs are 382 fitting P21W. but i didnt go for canbus error free bulbs on these and they work fine, no polarity issues either. the LEDS are red as using white, even with a red reflector may give off a pink tinge to the light, not a good look!

i think they are brighter than the OEM bulbs and they should be for the cost! when its dark i will get some pics.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default pictures

and whilst i was taking pictures.......

engine bay with R8 oil cap.

Name:  7d402ea1.jpg
Views: 3369
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  4d05d6bf.jpg
Views: 3277
Size:  131.3 KB

i am after the coolant cap now to match.

Name:  ca765140.jpg
Views: 3341
Size:  226.9 KB
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Few questions from a newbie

Hi there!

You guys seem to have some knowlege about this installation. Ive recently bought a 2008 q7 s-line and im wondering if i replace the drl in the headlight with an led bulb and reprogram the car, does the small light in the grill still work? The one thats in the same module as the indicator? Ill be changing that to a led bulb as well as hasser has done in his pictures.
My goal is to have the stock xenons, the new led bulb in the headlights and the small lights in the grill (changed to led bulb) on all at the same time when the car switches over to "night mode".

If i reprogram the car, will i need to buy can-bus friendly bulbs for the grill lights? Or do they also get reprogrammed to led when i do the headlight bulb swap?

Unrelated to this issue but ill ask it here anyway, ive seen reprogramming for the a5 that makes the side mirror tilt when reverse is selected. Does this apply the same way to the q7? Do i need the electrical folding mirrors or does it work with only the electrical adjusting ones?

As i said, few newbie questions here, thank you guys for all the help!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

the DRL in the main headlight cluster can just be changed for a LED bayonet bulb (382 fitting) no need to reprogramm anything. i did need to swap the polarity though (just swap the connectors over) make sure you get a canbus one too!

the light in the indicator cluster is the sidelight. again this can be swapped straight out for a LED wedge bulb W5W type again make sure you get a canbus one.

i have xenon lights and i now have

phillips D1S xenons at 6000K.
Canbus 92 LED DRL
Single LED sidelight along with LED strip lighting. (will post pics soon)

Phillips diamond vision fog lights at 5000k - these are a halogen bulb but are spot on match for xenons.

i also changed out all interior lighting for LED and number plate plates.

as an update from my previous post - the brake and tail lights i got LEDS for didnt work and i am back on stock for these.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay, yes ive checked the Canbus friendly bulbs, but i was thinking that by reprogramming the car to accept LED DRL:s (I have the cable and software) I would achieve a different light pattern(?) when driving in the dark.

As it is original when it gets dark the xenons switch on and the drl:s go dark. The small sidelights stay on though. By reprogramming i would want the LED drl:s to stay on aswell giving me 2 points of light i each head light plus the sidelights.
So instead of

O __ O
o ___ o

It would look like:

OO __ OO
o ______ o

Does this work? I mean if i reprogram to LED drl:s and buy non canbus friendly (since that would no longer be needed?) for the headlights and canbus friendly for the smaller sidelights.

Anyone out there that has done this?

Thanks for your reply Hasser!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also changed led bulbs to a pre-facelift Q7.

DRLs, sidelights and number plate lights are all canbus-versions and FIS does not show any errors. Everything fine.

BUT: Bulb "Cold Diagnostics" makes LEDs blink every 30 seconds. This is only for those LEDs that are not currently in use. Since DRL and sidelights are never powered on at the same time there is always some blinking in the front.

Somebody else experiencing this issue?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mpelanti
I have also changed led bulbs to a pre-facelift Q7.

DRLs, sidelights and number plate lights are all canbus-versions and FIS does not show any errors. Everything fine.

BUT: Bulb "Cold Diagnostics" makes LEDs blink every 30 seconds. This is only for those LEDs that are not currently in use. Since DRL and sidelights are never powered on at the same time there is always some blinking in the front.

Somebody else experiencing this issue?
yes i now have that problem.
i got some new LED's linked in to the side lights, so when they are on the LED DRL bulbs do blink occassionaly.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, considering replacing the standard bulb for LED's to the DRL and indicator DRL unit. Notice you mention that your configuration blinks. Was this as a result of the above replacement or when you carried out all of the bulb replacements, i.e. number plate, internal lights etc.?

Also, do you have the active headlight unit, and if yes did it prevent it from working as mentioned in Dieseldave’s thread?

Lastly, have you had any further problems/error indications?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am quite sure that any (outside) replaced bulb will blink every 30s because of the diagnostics, no matter you change 1 or all. Only bulbs not in use will blink.

Quick Reply: LED DRL Bulb swap