Q7 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

LED license plate lights

 
Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 AM
  #21  
AudiWorld Member
 
Hasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 171
Default

good thread and good info.

i have just done this myself to my Q7. easy job as stated.

i bought canbus error free bulbs. 2 for 20 here in the UK, but only 2 SMD's on each unit. seems suffieicent though.

no errors as of yet (2 weeks).

i have also changed the brake/tail light bulbs, DRL's and side ights.

will post in another thread, but looks quality.

this licesnse plate LED upgrade is worth doing, so if youre thinking about doing it - do it!!

this is the ones i used.

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/239-canbus-led/

semms they dropped the price to 15 for the pair!!
Hasser is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
  #22  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 253
Default

Hi I just upgrade the license plate & rear cargo (3) lights to LED .... much better... bought them from Tuner, Now does anyone know how to replace the front, middle, 3rd overhead lights ???
coupegt87 is offline  
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 AM
  #23  
AudiWorld Member
 
Hasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 171
Default

what bulbs are used for the interior??

are the same festoon type bulbs the liscense plate uses??
Hasser is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 AM
  #24  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 253
Default

I used T10 wedge type bulbs from

http://www.tunerdomes.com/index.php?...d&productId=93

Next project is to replace all the overhead reading lights, if I could figure out how to open them ???? Anyone ?????
coupegt87 is offline  
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 AM
  #25  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,441
Default

tunerdomes has the 10% off again...
'HOLIDAY123' is the code
JohnBoyToo is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 AM
  #26  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 115
Default

Originally Posted by coupegt87 View Post
Next project is to replace all the overhead reading lights, if I could figure out how to open them ???? Anyone ?????
Easy peasy.

For the front: open the sunglassess holder. grab the back of the silver trim and pull straight down. that should release the trim and the inner plastic insert. Then hold the rest of the cover and pull it straight down. you'll now have access to the lights. If you want to drop the entire housing out of the roof there are two philips screws in the sunglasses holder, one each side. once they're out, you can pull the housing out by the left and right edges. there are spring loaded clips, one each side, roughly level with the festoon lights, so if you grab in that general vicinity you should be good.

The middle and rear are the same: insert a small flat head screwdriver or wedge in the edge facing toward the read of the car and twist it out. It's much easier to take the whole housing out rather than try to separate them.


ETA: the reading lights are BA9 mini bayonets (2 for each unit) and the main dome lights are 42mm festoons.
HTH

Last edited by DieselDave; 12-20-2011 at 06:43 AM.
DieselDave is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 AM
  #27  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 223
Default

everyone is asking about the different light sizes
Doesn't tuner dome include them all or is it about trying to figure out which ones go where when you get their package I guess if they aren't labeled?
bozack is offline  
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 AM
  #28  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by DieselDave View Post
Easy peasy.

For the front: open the sunglassess holder. grab the back of the silver trim and pull straight down. that should release the trim and the inner plastic insert. Then hold the rest of the cover and pull it straight down. you'll now have access to the lights. If you want to drop the entire housing out of the roof there are two philips screws in the sunglasses holder, one each side. once they're out, you can pull the housing out by the left and right edges. there are spring loaded clips, one each side, roughly level with the festoon lights, so if you grab in that general vicinity you should be good.

The middle and rear are the same: insert a small flat head screwdriver or wedge in the edge facing toward the read of the car and twist it out. It's much easier to take the whole housing out rather than try to separate them.


ETA: the reading lights are BA9 mini bayonets (2 for each unit) and the main dome lights are 42mm festoons.
HTH
Hey Dave, for the middle & rear, do u insert the wedge front or the back of the unit ? thx..........
coupegt87 is offline  
Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 AM
  #29  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 115
Default

Originally Posted by coupegt87 View Post
Hey Dave, for the middle & rear, do u insert the wedge front or the back of the unit ? thx..........
My typo may have confused you...sorry.

Wedge goes in the back of the housing.
DieselDave is offline  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 AM
  #30  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Default

I was looking for some replacement license plate bulbs for my 11 Q7 and stumbled upon this thread.
Does anyone know if these the Tuner Domes LED bulbs affect the view of the backup cam at all?
x6369x is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ilikeit
Vehicles For Sale
2
01-09-2016 09:24 AM
Jan_PL_S6
Vehicles For Sale
12
11-27-2015 07:27 AM
BLACK2010A6
A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion
7
09-13-2015 09:29 AM
Powerofbabel
Parts For Sale
0
09-02-2015 10:08 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED license plate lights


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: