Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Lock and Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lock and Key Question

Hi, I have a 2008 Q7 4.2, when I purchased it in December I only received one key fob, not that big a deal....what I recently found out though is the metal pop out key will start the car ok but it will not unlock the door from the outside....is it possible something happened to the lock or is it more likely either the ignition or the outside lock was changed....Nate the valet key will not unlock the door either.......thanks
Old 05-05-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have heard (don't know personally that it's true) that any key will turn the ignition lock because the primary security is the key being mated to the immobilizer. It does sound like a lock was changed, or maybe all of the original keys were lost and some other random ones mated. One tip, if you every buy a new key from the dealer, take all of your keys with you. When they mate the new key, all previous matings are erased. Any key you don't mate when the new one is added will not work to start the car any more.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a sequence to get the car to learn the keyfob to lock unlock the doors...
I had to do this recently when I changed the keyfob battery. for some odd reason it wouldnt unlock/lock the car anymore.
I believe the sequence is something like lock the car.
unlock with key, put key in ignition turn key to run position and hit unlock.
I am not sure that is exact i think youtube videos etc show it

THIS Assumes the battery is not dead!
video to open to check battery

Last edited by bspurloc; 05-05-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tigerwillow1
I have heard (don't know personally that it's true) that any key will turn the ignition lock because the primary security is the key being mated to the immobilizer. It does sound like a lock was changed, or maybe all of the original keys were lost and some other random ones mated. One tip, if you every buy a new key from the dealer, take all of your keys with you. When they mate the new key, all previous matings are erased. Any key you don't mate when the new one is added will not work to start the car any more.
Thats interesting that any key could start the car...gotta have this looked at soon, freaks me out when I’m away from home that if the battery dies in the fob I’m SOL
Old 05-06-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

any key can NOT start the car.
the key lock/unlock part of the keyfob has nothing to do with the ignition. Hence why I told u hot to teach the car the keyfob.

You keyfob contains a lock/unlock part which is the part the battery is needed for then it has a sort of EFID chip in it that the car ECM reads to know if it will enable the ignition or not.
I'll repeat, you can not start the car with ANY key,
Old 05-06-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bspurloc
any key can NOT start the car.
the key lock/unlock part of the keyfob has nothing to do with the ignition. Hence why I told u hot to teach the car the keyfob.

You keyfob contains a lock/unlock part which is the part the battery is needed for then it has a sort of EFID chip in it that the car ECM reads to know if it will enable the ignition or not.
I'll repeat, you can not start the car with ANY key,
I think you miss understood my original post, the electronic part of the fob is not my problem, that works perfectly, it’s the metal key that pops out of the fob that will not unlock the door but will start the car.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the ignition cylinder/key was changed, and the previous owner probably found one on ebay or the junk yard, instead of ordering a new one from Audi that is keyed to match the rest of the car. Much cheaper for them, but leaves you without the ability to use a physical key to unlock the rest of the car. This will also make it more difficult to order an extra key, because if you order from the dealer with your VIN like other folks do, you'll end up getting a key that physically doesn't work with the replaced ignition cylinder, but will unlock the rest of the car. Your only option is to either replace the ignition with the correctly keyed part, and buy a couple extra keys, or see if there is a way to rekey the rest of the locks in the car to match your current key. I wonder if there is a way to look up what the original VIN on a used ignition/key set was so you could even order another key?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabco
Thats interesting that any key could start the car...gotta have this looked at soon, freaks me out when I’m away from home that if the battery dies in the fob I’m SOL
Not any key can start the car. The RFID chip in the key (nothing to do with unlocking the doors, that's a different system) needs to be recognized by the immoblizer before the car will start. The physical cutting of the key needs to be correct to turn the door lock. Turning the ignition lock is not sufficient to start the car. The key has to also be mated to the immoblizer, which is a dealer-only process for new and replacement keys.