Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
View Poll Results: Which Audi Q7 & or A6 Variant you recommend?
Audi Q7 3.6I V6 FSI
100.00%
Audi Q7 4.2I V8 FSI
0%
Audi A6 3.2I V6 FSI
33.33%
Audi A6 4.2I V8 FSI
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for an insight on buying a used Audi Q7

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why Audi? You said low maintenance costs and Audi is not known for that.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Zereldo,

You asked which would be the best winter vehicle for you, but you included reliability in the description. The fact is that in your price point, you are buying a 11+ year old vehicle which was maintained in a manner you have no idea. Reliability has a direct correlation to maintenance and unless you can find a vehicle with a great service record and have the owner provide you with such details, I really don't think you're going to get something "highly reliable". In fact, you might be better off buying a domestic vehicle (i.e. Explorer) to fill you winter driving needs.

Also, the 8sp tranny was available in the Q7 in 2011, since you are looking at no higher than 2009 you'd be getting the ZF 6sp. Which you'd want to ensure you do a complete fluid and filter change, if you were to buy it. Since ZF recommends doing so every 75K miles, however the Audi states it is a "sealed tranny" and no maintenance is mandated by them. I'd trust the actually manufacturer, in this case.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good point in the previous post about prior maintenance on vehicle you're looking at. The Q7 I bought was single owner, and whenever there was a hiccup he took it to the dealer. He was replacing it with a new Q7. I was able to get some of the records from before I got the car:
55k miles: new battery
86k miles: new fuel pump
98k miles: refrigerant recharge
99k miles: new valve cover gasket
??miles: new fuel pressure sensor

Right after getting the car I asked the dealer about changing the ATF and they refused to do it because it's "sealed for life". So when I discovered the ATF leak, this was my ticket to getting the ATF replaced. The dealer quoted me about $1600 for the job. The labor time was in line, but they were marking up the parts about 50% over msrp. So much for my local dealer! I was focused on the Q7 and treq because of the AWD system. The majority of AWD systems run fwd most of the time to squeeze out more mpg. I drive mountain passes in the winter and the 4wd engine braking is important to me and most of the systems are in 2wd mode when not accelerating. I was really focused on mpg. Most of our q7 use is on the road and the v6 gets us 21 mpg. In town is 15-ish. One car I wish I had looked at more seriously is the Toyota Sequoia. The center diff isn't torsen, but it is lockable. I think 4runner might have the same system. I didn't go that way mainly because the Audi has higher mpg.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by not2fast
Why Audi? You said low maintenance costs and Audi is not known for that.
I plan on getting a new Audi S7 once I graduate and wanted to buy into the brand to get a feel for it. I understand they aren't known for low maintenance cost, though I was referring to unscheduled maintenance not the usual oil change, various filters etc. Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to get a vehicle for 10k and spend 10-20% of the cost in maintenance, hence why I'm looking for feedback on what I can expect from an example given the price range and mileage.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi Zereldo,

You asked which would be the best winter vehicle for you, but you included reliability in the description. The fact is that in your price point, you are buying a 11+ year old vehicle which was maintained in a manner you have no idea. Reliability has a direct correlation to maintenance and unless you can find a vehicle with a great service record and have the owner provide you with such details, I really don't think you're going to get something "highly reliable". In fact, you might be better off buying a domestic vehicle (i.e. Explorer) to fill you winter driving needs.

Also, the 8sp tranny was available in the Q7 in 2011, since you are looking at no higher than 2009 you'd be getting the ZF 6sp. Which you'd want to ensure you do a complete fluid and filter change, if you were to buy it. Since ZF recommends doing so every 75K miles, however the Audi states it is a "sealed tranny" and no maintenance is mandated by them. I'd trust the actually manufacturer, in this case.
Hey Raj, thanks for your input! Reliability is a concern, though I plan on buying a vehicle with complete maintenance history (An example maintained by an Audi dealership). Like I mentioned above, I'm all for buying a properly maintained vehicle and continue to maintain it in accordance with Audi standards. Since I dont know much about these vehicles and have only ever heard good things about the first gen Q7 and A6 I'm looking for input on those have experienced differently in terms of reliability and over all build quality.

I did consider various "domestic" vehicles such as one you mentioned above, though I'm looking for a long term winter vehicle as opposed to a "winter beater" that I'd scrap after a season. A sensible option would be to look into Japanese makes like Lexus (IS, GS, RX), and I have, though Audi is more appealing to me than any Japanese or American brand. There is however a silver lining b/w brand preference and what I'm willing to put up with keeping it in good condition.

Noted, I will most likely end up with a ZF 6 speed or Aisin given I go with he V8 variant (as is my understanding). I'm not sure if V8s were switched over to ZF 6 speed as well by 2009? Would an Audi mechanic be able to evaluate the condition of the transmission? I understand you mentioned it is a sealed unit. Maybe via scan tools or just the general feel of how it shifts during a test drive. I'll take note of this and ask the Indy Audi mechanic I know about cost of the service and if he truly believe it needs to be changed.

Thanks again for your input, it's much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good point indeed. I'll only consider examples with complete and legitimate service history. I am concerned about the ATF however, seems like it needs changing regardless of what Audi says. $1600 is kinda steep, getting that service done in Canada would be significantly more expensive...because everything here is, compared to the US. I may have to reevaluate my decision on getting a Q7 or any Audi of this age then, cuz spending ~$2k CAD on a service right off the bat may not be worth it. Unless that service was done by previous owner who was either forced to or had the mind for it. Thanks, this is good info!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tigerwillow1
Good point in the previous post about prior maintenance on vehicle you're looking at. The Q7 I bought was single owner, and whenever there was a hiccup he took it to the dealer. He was replacing it with a new Q7. I was able to get some of the records from before I got the car:
55k miles: new battery
86k miles: new fuel pump
98k miles: refrigerant recharge
99k miles: new valve cover gasket
??miles: new fuel pressure sensor

Right after getting the car I asked the dealer about changing the ATF and they refused to do it because it's "sealed for life". So when I discovered the ATF leak, this was my ticket to getting the ATF replaced. The dealer quoted me about $1600 for the job. The labor time was in line, but they were marking up the parts about 50% over msrp. So much for my local dealer! I was focused on the Q7 and treq because of the AWD system. The majority of AWD systems run fwd most of the time to squeeze out more mpg. I drive mountain passes in the winter and the 4wd engine braking is important to me and most of the systems are in 2wd mode when not accelerating. I was really focused on mpg. Most of our q7 use is on the road and the v6 gets us 21 mpg. In town is 15-ish. One car I wish I had looked at more seriously is the Toyota Sequoia. The center diff isn't torsen, but it is lockable. I think 4runner might have the same system. I didn't go that way mainly because the Audi has higher mpg.
AWD is more or less a requirement with a good set of winter tires to go with it (I happen to have a set taken off of my mums SUV). 4WD...not so much. Besides, I'm not a huge fan of Trucks/SUVs, the first gen Q7 is an exception. 21 MPG sounds blessed compared to 19l/100km (12 MPG) I get driving sensibly in current vehicle.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hey mate, if you want some insight on the v8 4.2 then I can tell you as I have one. I brought a one owner 2008 model 2 years ago as and upgrade from a mazda cx7 for the family. Firstly the 4.2 v8 Premuim’s pretty much have every bell and whistle accessory that audi could throw at it from factory and this was the biggest tick for me.
* panoramic sunroof, air suspension, 4 zone a/c, rear sunroof for the kids, folding mirrors, xenon lights, bose sound with subwoofer, tv, electric everything etc etc....
as for price i got for a steal at 8 years old but needed a little TLC but im a mechanic so i was happy to do so.
problems/ enhacments so far;
new drilled/ slotted brake rotors and brembo pads,
tyres, engine valve de-carb, full driveline oil changes( easy to do DIY!!!) a few minor oil leaks repaired in the engine, new plugs and coil packs, filters etc and it has been a rocket ever since.

the only down side can be the fuel consumption?? Here in Australia 95 -98 octane Premuim fuel is roughly $1.65 AUS a liter so filling 100L tank each week is expensive but my wife drive an average of 500-700klm a week with the kids.
best overall fuel consumption is on the highways with and average of 11L per1 100klm but around town is 15L per 100klm.
these cars have a huge anount of power and with the 6 speed trans and paddle shift you can race and change gears at 6500-7000rpm so the soccer mum stance goes out the window.
if your keen to get your hands dirty a little now and then and dont mind a little DIY then for the price i font think you could match the euro luxury with something else mate.
Unfortunately i think i may be trading this in on a nee VW tiguan allspace 7 seater due to the fuel costs here in Australia.

Last edited by Up-it; 09-25-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't mis-interpret that $1600 (usd) figure for the ATF change. I didn't have the dealer do it because of their marked-up parts, and with a dealer that sells the parts at msrp, it would have been around $1,100. I had a garage that works on vag cars do it. The used all Audi parts and the final cost was right around $1,000. Other posts have reported ~$800. If you able to do it yourself you can save a lot on the parts cost and do the job for under $500. If I has a lift I would have done it myself. I just wasn't up for that big a job lying on my back.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Or you can do your own ATF change for less than a few hundred $$.

Here's a great write-up that I followed and while your at it make sure you also service and change the fluid in your differentials and crank case.

So you want to change your trans fluid???

changing differential oils on 4.2 6HP19A

BTW, here's a good place to order all your supplies from: https://www.thectsc.com/catalog/6-speed-audi-106.html

Quick Reply: Looking for an insight on buying a used Audi Q7