Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Low coolant warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bongani45
water pump has been changed but still in less than 30 day had to top up
As stated in response to another post, have the system pressurized and leak checked by a shop (how much are you having to add?). My old 4.2 had a leak at the electric aux pump and from a bad o-ring on the lower rad hose. The aux pump was replaced which took care of most of the coolant loss. Certainly not cheap things to maintain, but most new/newer cars now are not cheap to maintain.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did both the water pump and the EGR and have spent thousands. I still have the same problem. Sounds like Audi needs to step up and deal with this issue. There is no reason these cars should have these problems with so little miles on them!
Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

A little more information, about the coming failure of associated EGR cooling parts failing. The part in question seems to be 059121737AM // Cooling System Bypass Line Adapter. Thermostat unit. Valve ASSEMBLY, I'm going through it right now. I had the dealer check the area around it, because I could see coolant in the engine valley earlier this year, however the techs didn't get positive results for a leak, with the pressure leak test. Now the leak has taken out the oil cooler seals next to it and I now have a coolant leak and an oil leak! Its at the dealer, and after taking the upper engine apart they've confirmed its 059121737AM. Credit for the find goes to a great Australian mechanic dragline1570

You can read the whole thread below, that further explains the problem with pictures.
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ml#post2057765

Out of pocket, its a 2k repair. I called Audi Corporate after being denied warranty coverage by my dealer, and looks like I win! More to follow.

Last edited by Built4Sin; 07-19-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post25345466

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ml#post2057765
Old 11-22-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sashir
I have a 2013 Q7 TDI PP with 56K miles on it.
The low coolant warning came on yesterday. After the car cooled down, I checked the the coolant reservoir, and sure enough, the level was well below the "minimum" fill mark.

I checked a couple of local stores and they do not seem to carry the G13 coolant. So I may need to get this from the Audi dealership.

Is it normal to have to add coolant? Should I be worried about possible leaks? The car was always serviced at Audi dealership because I had the Audi Care Plus plan.
My Q7 has developed a coolant leak, it seems from reading online a familiar problem for many cars, in my case I have been told it is just a valve seal that leaks.
Just a seal.............6.4 hours to fit it at £150.00 per hour plus parts and VAT in total over £1400.00 for a car that has around 80K on the clock, this is just so disappointing , Having said that it is aa great car, but this will put me off buying another audi
Old 11-22-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Low Coolant Warning

So, I threw about 6K at this problem. Replaced the water pump, not it. Replaced some little part in between the water pump and the rest of the cooling system, not it. There is a little valve made out of plastic that is on the block and guess what, it gets hot over years and then cracks. Replaced the plastic part with, you guessed it, another plastic part. My coolant light has come on one more time since then. Not sure if it is fixed or not. Also, I am able to buy the coolant at NAPA, if you anyone has one of those nearby, they should have it, its an expensive drinking habit but what are we to do. Audi really needs to step up on this and obviously this is a defect in there car!
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag355
So, I threw about 6K at this problem. Replaced the water pump, not it. Replaced some little part in between the water pump and the rest of the cooling system, not it. There is a little valve made out of plastic that is on the block and guess what, it gets hot over years and then cracks. Replaced the plastic part with, you guessed it, another plastic part. My coolant light has come on one more time since then. Not sure if it is fixed or not. Also, I am able to buy the coolant at NAPA, if you anyone has one of those nearby, they should have it, its an expensive drinking habit but what are we to do. Audi really needs to step up on this and obviously this is a defect in there car!
If it has a coolant temp sensor in it, they have used plastic for years before the Q7 came out. I think the B4 and C4 generation cars are about the last to have metal parts in those locations. The B5 and C5 switched to plastic coolant temp sensor housings. My old A4 1.8t went through two temp sensors and one housing in three years of ownership.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello- quick question.. I got in my car last night, and saw the low coolant light. checked it out, and it was really low. was super nervous, so added a very small amount of water (about 4/5 ounces of water). I drove it 5 miles home. My question is this, can I just add l fluid tonight when I am able to stop and get proper G13 fluid? or do I need to have dealer top this off/do a flush and see what greater issue is? 2013 Q7 TDI prestige 125k - Recently had a NOX sensor warning, but other than than car seems/feels fine. TIA

Last edited by yosie16; 11-25-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Amount
Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Exact same story here. Coolant leak found around a "valve" showed up at roughly 75,000 miles. Lost nearly a gallon of coolant in 500 miles.

$175/hour x6 + $220 for replacement valve.

...no luck trying to get it covered under the dieselgate repair extended warranty. So much for the generalizations of "anything that throws a code in OBD2 is covered minus transmission".

Old 03-24-2021, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 TDI coolant disappears?

Hi everyone my 2012 Q7 is using about 3 litres of coolant per week, it’s been into the garage for a water pump and then back into the garage for new hoses and seals, apparently the leak has dropped onto the alternator so had a new one, it now stands me at £1500 and still no better!! Could it be the ECG? Or a head gasket? I don’t really have a clue I’m not mechanically minded so any advice would be appreciated, I love the car but don’t want to throw more good money after bad. It’s only done 77k miles.... thanks everyone

Quick Reply: Low coolant warning