Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Lowering (non-air suspension) Q7 options?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering (non-air suspension) Q7 options?

I love my new Q7 except for the ride height...wish I got air but the salesperson talked my out of it - my only regret!

That said I have been looking into options for lowering the ride height. I do not plan on offroading or driving in severe snow conditions so ground clearance is not an issue for me.

The only options that I have found are the H&R sport springs. So what are people's options on installing them with the OEM shocks/struts? I have read about compression concerns on the factory struts from the shorter springs and reduced life of the struct which makes sense but no specific Q7 applications. Everyone does agree that ideally coilovers are the better solution but at over $3K that does not seem worth it as adjustability is useless for me.

If indeed I should not use the factory struts are there ones that I could use with the H&R springs?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only report I read was on Q5 forum, car of ntubeusa.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Only report I read was on Q5 forum, car of ntubeusa.
Thanks and I was able to find the thread. For those interested, the thread basically talks about the use of the H&K Q5 lowering springs (sport springs) on stock struts. After install, ntubeusa noticed that the ride is "softer" vs stock springs which was surprising as one would expect a harder ride.

What I am looking for are general feelings using this setup and its effects if any on stock compression b/c of the shorter springs.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digitalwok
I love my new Q7 except for the ride height...wish I got air but the salesperson talked my out of it - my only regret!
I'm curious... what did the salesperson say to put you off?

Air suspension is a great(if expensive) option. You have 5 level settings - although the lowest only kicks at sustained speeds over 180 km/h.

I like high rides and tend to keep my Q7 at level 4 "Offroad", and adjust to level 3 "Automatic" on the motorway. I rarely use "Dymanic" and use "Comfort" only on bad B roads.

As for reliability, system itself is covered my warranty, the only "consumable" is the air strut and I've never heard of problems with those.

So... what did the salesperson say to you?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SteelWarHorse3.0TDi
I'm curious... what did the salesperson say to put you off?
Thanks for rubbing it in The car was so new and I was not able to drive one with Air suspension. I did some research on the Internet and read through the forums and there did not seem like a general concensus that it was worth the money.

The salesperson said that he drove an air suspension version and told me that he did not/could not notice the difference. Ironically, what I want it for now is what he told me was the only thing that it did well - raise/lower the car. The only reason this is an issue now is the fact that I did not realize that the Q7 rides as high as it does.

In the end, the real reason that I should have got air suspension is the flexiblity of the system (with the VAG-COM). I was able to talk to H&R regarding the lowering springs and they told me that these are designed with the stock shocks for the stock shocks (grain of salt as they are tried to sell a product). I also contact AWE and they would install for around $500.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any update on this, I have a non-air suspension and want to lower my 2014 Q7.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigDRickQ7
Any update on this, I have a non-air suspension and want to lower my 2014 Q7.
Did u ever get an answer to lowering your q7? I'm in St Louis and want to lower mine. I also have stock springs on mine
Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalwok
The salesperson said that he drove an air suspension version and told me that he did not/could not notice the difference. Ironically, what I want it for now is what he told me was the only thing that it did well - raise/lower the car. The only reason this is an issue now is the fact that I did not realize that the Q7 rides as high as it does.
the only reason a salesperson talks you out of an option is if it delays the sale or it isnt on the lot or not swappable with another vehicle at another dealer's lot.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No, I never got an answer, I think my wife would like an 1"-2" drop so it's easier to get in and out.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigDRickQ7
No, I never got an answer, I think my wife would like an 1"-2" drop so it's easier to get in and out.
I think the trucks look better lower and will handle better. So far it looks like the only option I have are the H&G springs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering (non-air suspension) Q7 options?