Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Misfire Cylinder 2 - Please Help

Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 PM
08' Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=dreadlocks Ive had a VCDS since 2003 so its paid for its self in spades, but an OBDEleven can do it[/QUOTE]

i borrowed my neighbors Autel OBDII scan tool it was a pretty speedy tool on his part. I was looking at this one below which states it’s an OBD11 scanner. Is this what you’re suggesting? Doesn’t seem like it would do anything more than any generic OBD2 generic scan tool.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

no, generic OBD2 (not eleven) scanners are worthless.. these are the diagnostics tools:
https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS & https://obdeleven.com/en/
Old 05-01-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well generic obd2's arent totally useless on this car but this may be because I wasnt using vcds to read my codes but a VW only scanner.
my audi obd2 scanner said I had 01056-226 equalization charge sporadic lower limit exceeded.
I couldnt find any information on it, so I plugged in my high end ODB2 scanner and there you go o2 sensor bank 1 low LOL
I dont know if VCDS would have told me it was just the stupid o2 sensor or not lol

anyway back to this misfire cylinder 2... I was waiting for your results after battery change and if the misfire came back I was going to suggest you may have a vacuum leak near cylinder 2...
but now you explained you have a bad oil leak which may be the intake gasket which would be a vacuum leak...
I know everything on this car is complicated but I think replacing that shouldnt be that bad, but dont quote me on that lol
Old 05-01-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi OBD2 scanner? Ther'es only 2 consumer devices I know of that are capable of pulling the real diagnostic codes.. I linked em in the previous post.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

well ok i used wrong words lol. not audi only. I have a vgate vs450 for kids VW and my Q7 and to reset the oil on the q7.
It reads all the audi basic codes and codes off her car. all the component codes etc transmission, mmi, engine, etc
The vcds requires me to go get my laptop and well the battery is dead in that, so that requires me to plug it in and well u know by now its too annoying to use it to read my codes lol. thats why I got the VS450 instead of a battery for laptop. also i use the laptop like twice a year so the battery will just go bad after 6 months anyway, been there done that.
I only use vcds for big boy things like battery replacement, looking into my TPMS issues etc things that you need to see history etc

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Audi OBD2 scanner? Ther'es only 2 consumer devices I know of that are capable of pulling the real diagnostic codes.. I linked em in the previous post.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You think thats bad my VCDS laptop is so damn old its running Windows 98, and a version of VCDS from 2010 cuz its wifi is broken.. I use an inverter to power it cuz battery stoped working eons ago.. if my CEL comes on, I dust it off and scan it.. thats what I bought it for back in like 2003

01056 is a P code, generic OBD2, not an actual technical code.. so whatever your that "Audi OBD2" tool is seems to be garbage normal OBD2 reader with additional features to reset service intervals.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 05-01-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

It reads all the module codes so good enough for being lazy, but it also made me forget I have VCDS.
truthfully I was getting crazy amounts of bogus codes due to low battery voltage and why I really started using it more often.
you can still get usb wifi for that laptop lol

My laptop is a highend gaming one with 1080p screen well from a few years back upgraded it to an i7 quad and 1tb ssd. plays mafia 2 perfectly lol.
I grab broken laptops off ebay, repair them and sell at cost or give them away when I am bored and why even though its a nice laptop I dont use it lol.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:02 AM

UPDATE

Well, we made it out to the Ocean just fine. Near the very start of the trip I felt that subtle vibration and then the check engine light did flash about 3-4 times indicating a misfire. BUT the code didn’t store in the ECU and it hasn’t happened again so far.
I will say I’ve got the fuel tank pretty heavily loaded up with fuel system cleaner along with supreme 92 fuel. I’ve been intentionally trying to drive it rather aggressively in the event that there is a partial clog in the fuel injector for cylinder 2. I know the fuel cleaners will do nothing for the actual engine considering it’s direct injection so the fuel never even touches the valves. Direction Injection.... had the same thing on my 2013 F150 EcoBoost... great for power but terrible for keeping the valves clean.
Anyway- Only a couple days into our trip here but the drive out seemed to have gone well with only that one initial flash of the CEL very early on into the trip.
Now I will say that the misfire issue has been occurring during what I’d consider normal street driving. 45mph or below and during low to moderate acceleration. The majority of our trip out here to the ocean has been highway at 60-80mph. Did get a bit playful when no other vehicles were even remotely in sight and pinned the throttle... Ended up hitting about 120mph and it would have kept pulling if I hadn’t backed off. Point there is that it didn’t even hesitate to be driven hard light that. No shutters, no shakes, not a single engine miss... Felt like I was driving a Ferrari on steroids.... just solid as a rock.
We’ve got a couple more days out here with some normal street driving so if she’s gonna misfire again I imagine the check engine light will show it’s ugly face soon.
As far as the oil leak I’ve had my car parked overnight and when we leave today I’ll hop out and take a picture of what’s dripped out while parked to give a better visual description of how much it’s actually losing just in a 12 hour parked time.

Updates to follow....
Old 05-03-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

just noticed you said Puyallup WA! lol apparently you have some sight seeing Coffee stands out there lol...

I would get that triple digit mph out of a forum post and word it differently lol.
I think an engine that is going to misfire will have its hardest time going up a long steep hill due to its being pushed the whole time instead of just freely flying down a highway.
I'de be checking that oil to make sure its not low,
the part that sucks about tracking an oil leak with this car is that air cover at the bottom, its gunna hold all the oil till it finds a place to drip it out.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Surprise surprise the CEL came back on with normal driving again. Thought the replacement of the battery solved the issue but unfortunately no.... still coming back as misfire cylinder 2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfire Cylinder 2 - Please Help