Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI iphone cable 2011 q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI iphone cable 2011 q7

Enjoying my 2011 q7 TDI but I dont understand why the MMI cable is located in the glove box. I downloaded my music on the hard drive but like to be able to access the phone easily. So I thought I would put in an iphone holder with a charging base that would connect to the cable. Well the cable is not long enough. I find it hard to reach over to the glove box to plug the phone in. Then there is no place to store it.

Does anyone know if that cable comes in a longer size?
Or an extension? I thought I would try the USB cable with an extension but after more research I dont think it will charge or transfer any information.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't get why they put the cable in the glove box either - maybe to be super conservative and have the phone somewhere where the driver can't use it while operating the vehicle for safety reasons? If it were in the center console we may be tempted to try and use the phone while driving instead of operating it through the MMI. That's the only reason I can think.

I usually just leave my phone floating around somewhere where it's convenient but it would be nice if it could be plugged into that cable and still accessible. I have looked around to a cable extension - so far the only thing I've found is the "DockExtender" at the bottom of this link:
http://www.radtech.us/products/CablesiPod.aspx
Not sure if that will work though it does mention VWs specifically.

Originally Posted by Howie2
Enjoying my 2011 q7 TDI but I dont understand why the MMI cable is located in the glove box. I downloaded my music on the hard drive but like to be able to access the phone easily. So I thought I would put in an iphone holder with a charging base that would connect to the cable. Well the cable is not long enough. I find it hard to reach over to the glove box to plug the phone in. Then there is no place to store it.

Does anyone know if that cable comes in a longer size?
Or an extension? I thought I would try the USB cable with an extension but after more research I dont think it will charge or transfer any information.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also do not understand why the iPhone tel adapter I have in my 2007 Q7 (armrest) was not for AMI as well. Also it looks like audi eliminated this adapter.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

My thoughts...

When MMI/AMI came out, it was engineered for iPODS and not iPhones. Figure, you can just throw your iPOD in there and control it from the MMI controls. It's a cooled glovebox, so your electronics would not overheat?

They have a bluetooth MMI adapter as well, so you can stream wirelessly from outside the glovebox.

Other car manufacturers have the adaptor by the armrest, so not sure why Audi decided to leave it in the glovebox.

I just leave an old iPOD (don't we all have like a bizillion of those lying around?) in there.

-ThinkMac-
Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The music and phone elements are treated seperately.
If the phone rings the music is muted by the Audi this has nothing to do with the fact that both sources are the one device. It is just co-incidence that the iPhone will also mute the music.
If you have your iPhone paired to your Q7 then using the phone via MMI control or voice command should override the music anyway.
Your phone will also charge via the AMI.
I dont see where the problem arises.
To put it bluntly. BLUETOOTH and AMI are NOT connected and ANY connected ACTIVE PHONE mutes ANY stereo plyaback.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

iPhone armrest adapter (2G MMI)is only for charging and improving reception (uses the car tel antenna), the iPhone (or for other phones adapters) still connects to MMI through bluetooth). It probably was not very difficult to have made it to also work for AMI, but now this adapter is gone.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok for those of you who are intersted.
I kept struggling with having to plug my iphone into the MMI cable located in the Glove box. I was pointed a company RADTech that sells diffrent types of cables.

I pursched the Dock extender cable item# 13729 which added two feet of cable. I can close the glove box with the cable down at the left hand corner. All seems to work well. The phone is charging. The Signal of the cell phone has improved.

Now I plan to find a clip (holder) to attach to the right side of the dash. I am in and out of my car many times a day and need to have my iphone charged as well since we all know the battery life on a smart phone is not so great.

I will post some picture when I get it all figured out.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good stuff Howie, thanks for the follow up. Would love to see that pic if you get around to it.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Howie2 check out this clip system. I have not purchased it yet but seems to have some good options. http://www.proclipusa.com
Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Funny thing that is just where I ordered them from and they arrived this morning. If I find sometime today I will see if I can install them.

Originally Posted by KBLOVE
Howie2 check out this clip system. I have not purchased it yet but seems to have some good options. http://www.proclipusa.com