Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI issues with cold (not coming on, unresponsive)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default MMI issues with cold (not coming on, unresponsive)

Ugh. My MMI 2G on my 2008 Q7 has been acting up lately in the cold (-25°F) as I recently started parking it outside. When I start the vehicle, it takes about a minute for the MMI screen to turn on, then it turns on like normal with the Audi logo and everything, but I can't adjust volume, I can scroll with the **** though through the menus and across radio stations, I can't put CD in CD drive either, the cd just goes halfway in, then out, and repeat, it does that 15 times, and then says device fault. Are electronic glitches in cold weather common with the Q7? I'm going to run a scan. I will post results. I'm 90% positive that it's not the sunroof drains, it was my first concern when this happened. Anyone else have similar issues? I seriously hope this won't hurt my wallet to bad...
Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Restarted car, still took a while for MMI unit to come on. Volume works now. I ran a scan with my Carista Scan App. Most of these results are faults I've never seen before. Tell me what you think.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it that cold there? Kripes!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I'm 45 minutes south of Montréal in way up north NY, the wind really gets going with all the farmland and that's why the last couple of nights have been that cold, that's why it makes me think the cold has something to do with my MMI not working. Parking the car in the garage tonight. Just took the car for a drive, everything was working fine, still took several minutes for the MMI unit to boot up though. Ugh, I wonder what that could mean.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did it again this morning, it took about 5 minutes until it come on, none of the lights were on for the MMI buttons, unlike rest of interior which had red interior lights illuminated. I pushed a couple of the buttons and it eventually turned on the lights and the MMI came on and everything was working as it should. Has anyone ever had this happen??
Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

anyone have any tips on what to try to get it working? I'm getting scared it could be the Bose amp because the MMI won't let me adjust the volume.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Well, you seem to have a number of faults. Your optical bus is reporting an open circuit for example. If I had to venture I guess, I would say two things. Given the cold, your battery might be dying or some critter decided to live in your car and chew up your wiring. I'm kinda leaning towards the latter.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Yeah, I'm 45 minutes south of Montréal in way up north NY, the wind really gets going with all the farmland and that's why the last couple of nights have been that cold, that's why it makes me think the cold has something to do with my MMI not working. Parking the car in the garage tonight. Just took the car for a drive, everything was working fine, still took several minutes for the MMI unit to boot up though. Ugh, I wonder what that could mean.
Near Malone? I was born, if you can believe it, in Huntingdon, PQ.

Sorry you are having these issues
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Keep in mind, unlike a VCDS scan, Carista can't tell you if they were a one time fault or reoccurring. It's possible one or more of those faults were one time anomalies that happen from time to time and if they wasn't cleared, they remain on the log. The optical bus, as mentioned, could be a place to start - perhaps a faulty connection that loses connectivity at low temps until the car warms up.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea, I like Carista but I still plan on getting a VCDS soon, Carista is a good on the go scanner. I recently installed LED turn signals in the front with resistors, could that possibly be cause it? Could the resistors be causing a drain? I find it strange how my side assist module went bad, and now this, all in the last month. But I've had the resistors and LEDs for way longer. It seems like all of my electronic issues started after I got my windows tinted and the shop jumped my battery because the battery died. I really need to figure this out, it's driving me insane.

Quick Reply: MMI issues with cold (not coming on, unresponsive)