Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI suddenly won't read an SD card

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:13 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default MMI suddenly won't read an SD card

2015 Q7 Prestige with Bang & Olufsen audio. I've used the same SD card with mp3's on it for a couple of years with zero problems. All of a sudden yesterday it's not working. The MMI says "loading media" or something similar, and just sits there. Same result in both SD card slots. The onboard jukebox drive still works normally.

I took the card out and tried it in my home computer, and it works great, so I don't think it's the card.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Should probably note that I tried a forced reset of the MMI system, and that had no effect.

It never says the card is "unreadable" - it just sits there churning trying to load the card. That normally takes no more than 3-5 seconds before yesterday, but now it's many minutes with no change in status.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Try running this on your card: https://fightflashfraud.wordpress.co...apacity-flash/

its a stress tester that verifies data written for corruption, finds problems with memory cards that might not be apparent.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Could be the card. The microSD card in my wife's Galaxy S7 Edge wouldn't work in her phone, but worked in my PC. Ended up buying a new one, which worked fine in her S7.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Wanted to close the loop on this topic.

Between my original post and now, I tried using different SD cards with mixed success. What did seem to work was inserting one card, which never loaded. then insert a second card into the other slot (didn't matter which slot was used in which order). The second card almost always fired right up and played normally.

Anyway, I took the car in to the dealer yesterday for the fuel pump flange cracking recall, and they looked at this issue as well. No "root cause" found, but they loaded an MMI software update that (in addition to whatever else it did) returned the SD card readers to normal function. So case closed for me.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the solution to your problem.
Since last week I have exactly the same issue on my 2015 A5:
The SD card that played well for almost 2 years stopped working. It's still recognized and the name is displayed but when it is selected, the MMI is indefinitely displaying something like "the device or media is being loaded...."
The card works fine in any computer I tried it in. Same result when 2 SD's are used. Inserting 2 SD's fires up the card in the second slot, while the one in the 1st slot remains unresponsive.
I'll take it to the dealer and see whether the MMI software update resolves the issue for me as well.
My current MMI version: HN+EU_AU3G_P0925