Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

More Tire Questions - REAL traction please

Old 09-23-2017, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default More Tire Questions - REAL traction please

I know that there are a lot of tire threads, but this is a unique request. I've been stuck in the snow (yeah, really) 3 times in winter - still on stock tires - time to replace and I don't care about road noise or handling (wife car anyway and she doesn't car either) - I just want decent traction in snow (and rain) but don't want snow tires, they wear-out too quickly (?).

Advice needed.

I have stock 19's - willing to go to 18's to get more tire options if needed.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2, on 18's.. Come w/Severe Mud+Snow rating.. IMHO purpose snow tires are far too soft on a vehicle this heavy, they will wear like butter; especially >60F

Attachment 105185

245/65/17 Pictured, Love em but I wouldn't recommend em on 17's as they did not fit w/out modifying the brakes, a lot.. 18's would fit no problemo, for snow you'd want skinnier tires to increase pressure on contact surface.. I'd try for 245's instead of say 265's.. I don't think you'll find much all terrains in 19's, having good thick sidewalls are kinda mandatory for all terrain use.. My research on Touareg forums indicated you can go to ~31.5in OD tires and not have any issues w/rubbing intercooler vents or anything.

I wear em all year, noise is very reasonable, hurts MPG's as these guys are heavy as ****, much more comfortable than stock (takes potholes like a champ).. I'm so eager for the first good snow to fall in the mountains so I can go play in the snow w/out worrying about getting stuck.. Gonna be a good year for sledding I hope. If you get stuck w/these on, then your doing it wrong and driving well beyond your capabilities.. I'd only get stuck to avoid a crash or if I wanted too.

Ive had these tires on several vehicles, grade A truck tires. They do great in all conditions requiring traction; snow, rain, mud, and even hardcore offroading they just kick butt.. and they wear like iron compared to passenger suv tires.. Over 8k miles w/the Q7 so far and can't notice any wear. On my Jeep Wrangler they aged out before they wore out with well over 50k on em, and that lil chrysler POS could tackle black diamond trails w/em on a bone stock vehicle (no diff locks), even in the mud season; I credit the tires largely, but admit you also need a great driver behind the wheel for that insanity

Last edited by dreadlocks; 09-24-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

San Francisco gets snow? You must be traveling when getting stuck I suppose. I was about to suggest snow tires but you’re right: run them in warmer temperatures and they wear quickly as dreadlocks says.

For the last 14 years I’ve had Nokian Hakkapeliittas on a cheap set of wheels. They’ve been fantastic on snow & ice. On dry pavement they’re ... squirmy. The compound is soft and the sipes are deep. I put them on during the two or three snowstorms we get or if we’re headed up to ski and take them off when we’re back or the snow melts. It takes about 25-30 min in the garage to change the wheels/tires. The Saab’s set still had good tread on them after a decade when I sold the vehicle and the snow tires/wheels.

If you’re wanting to simply leave them on all winter they won’t last but a few years, quite possibly less if you’re driving in the warmer weather of San Francisco.

@dreadlocks: How’s that Cricket in the picture treating you?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I have been really impressed with

the Continental extreme contact DWS
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...emeContact+DWS
they have handled everything I have thrown at them, however as with all tires the Q7 seems to have eaten them up for breakfast. I need to replace them in a few months and only got about 18k out of them, but then I drive pretty aggressively. You might consider your driving style as well as I have never benn able to get any audi quattro stuck and believe me I have driven in some really sketchy snow conditions in my B5 A4, my S4 and my RS4 including 3' or more, pushing snow with the front of the car.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

We rented the cricket to demo it, I'm buying a camper this Fall w/the #dieselgate settlement.. It was extremely well designed and constructed, but its very expensive for what it is.. no aircon, no heating, half height head banging door, little storage so lots to unload to take a nap wherever after a long day on the road.. If we'd have brought our dogs it'd of been packed to the gills w/no floor space.. The previous renter had damaged the roof, the guy I rented it from later told me it was going to be >$10k for a new roof from the manufacturer, ouch.. It was very aerodynamic and towed like a dream, but I didnt like that I could not see the rear corners of the trailer, made backing it up a PITA.

If it was just me and my wife, I'd be on my list still.. but toss in two young boys and two dogs and it'd feel more packed to the gills than our large tent is.. It is very attractive looking, matches the Q7 in silver and european styling.. I had to give tours of it everywhere we stayed, it definitely turns heads.

Camper shopping turned out to be harder than car shopping, my Wife rejected most everything I showed her for some very good reason or another.. but we finally found one that suites or needs.. a WolfPup 17RP toy hauler.. Very simple and minimalistic design, with an open floor plan and ample room for dogs and cargo.. I can fit anything from a couple dirt bikes to a canoe inside.. its only 1/3rd the price of a nicely optioned Cricket and has a bigger LP fridge, AirCon, Microwave and most importantly HEAT..

Besides, Ive already got a classic equivalent of a Cricket, my 1975 Westfalia bus that I'm slowly restoring; if I put as much money into that as I would buying a Cricket, it'd be much nicer and turn even more heads.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2, on 18's.. Come w/Severe Mud+Snow rating.. IMHO purpose snow tires are far too soft on a vehicle this heavy, they will wear like butter; especially >60F

245/65/17 Pictured, Love em but I wouldn't recommend em on 17's as they did not fit w/out modifying the brakes, a lot.. 18's would fit no problemo, for snow you'd want skinnier tires to increase pressure on contact surface.. I'd try for 245's instead of say 265's.. I don't think you'll find much all terrains in 19's, having good thick sidewalls are kinda mandatory for all terrain use.. My research on Touareg forums indicated you can go to ~31.5in OD tires and not have any issues w/rubbing intercooler vents or anything.

I wear em all year, noise is very reasonable, hurts MPG's as these guys are heavy as ****, much more comfortable than stock (takes potholes like a champ).. I'm so eager for the first good snow to fall in the mountains so I can go play in the snow w/out worrying about getting stuck.. Gonna be a good year for sledding I hope. If you get stuck w/these on, then your doing it wrong and driving well beyond your capabilities.. I'd only get stuck to avoid a crash or if I wanted too.

Ive had these tires on several vehicles, grade A truck tires. They do great in all conditions requiring traction; snow, rain, mud, and even hardcore offroading they just kick butt.. and they wear like iron compared to passenger suv tires.. Over 8k miles w/the Q7 so far and can't notice any wear. On my Jeep Wrangler they aged out before they wore out with well over 50k on em, and that lil chrysler POS could tackle black diamond trails w/em on a bone stock vehicle (no diff locks), even in the mud season; I credit the tires largely, but admit you also need a great driver behind the wheel for that insanity
This is great info! Good info to 'toughen-up' the Q... I like the idea of 17s but I don't my wife having emergency maneuver issues... I also live in a apt in SF, so not a lot of storage for tires and wheels (I already store my winters for my S3). HUGE help Dread!
Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jayhawk94
San Francisco gets snow? You must be traveling when getting stuck I suppose. I was about to suggest snow tires but you’re right: run them in warmer temperatures and they wear quickly as dreadlocks says.

For the last 14 years I’ve had Nokian Hakkapeliittas on a cheap set of wheels. They’ve been fantastic on snow & ice. On dry pavement they’re ... squirmy. The compound is soft and the sipes are deep. I put them on during the two or three snowstorms we get or if we’re headed up to ski and take them off when we’re back or the snow melts. It takes about 25-30 min in the garage to change the wheels/tires. The Saab’s set still had good tread on them after a decade when I sold the vehicle and the snow tires/wheels.

If you’re wanting to simply leave them on all winter they won’t last but a few years, quite possibly less if you’re driving in the warmer weather of San Francisco.

@dreadlocks: How’s that Cricket in the picture treating you?
We spend about 70% of winter-time in Tahoe - so I need a good set-up that won't undermine the suspension in emergency moves - my wife drives the car all spring/summer/fall.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by flynavy
the Continental extreme contact DWS
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...emeContact+DWS
they have handled everything I have thrown at them, however as with all tires the Q7 seems to have eaten them up for breakfast. I need to replace them in a few months and only got about 18k out of them, but then I drive pretty aggressively. You might consider your driving style as well as I have never benn able to get any audi quattro stuck and believe me I have driven in some really sketchy snow conditions in my B5 A4, my S4 and my RS4 including 3' or more, pushing snow with the front of the car.
Thanks Fly - I have dws contis for my winter S3 set-up - love em for rain and snow.

The Q7 is the first quattro I've had that gets stuck - I had two Allroads and they could climb trees - no problem with any other Audis, I also was raised on the east coast and love snow "play" - very experienced - it really is the set-up, I'm sure - as well, Tahoe gets some deep snow. Ice and packed snow it the wheel-house for this quattro/ haldex set-up - it's really amazing how much I've gotten away with - just need a tougher set-up for slightly more extreme conditions. The freaking plows always plow us into our (uphill) driveway too - need to blast through that almost every day of winter (if it's snowing).
Old 09-24-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The TA's handle corners surprisingly well, being heavy duty truck tires the sidewalls are several times thicker than the sidewalls of all-seasons.. I compared em both as I had em installed and they are seriously thick, near 3/4in compared to the 1/8in on the all-seasons.. deflated I could deflect the sidewall on the all seasons with a finger knuckle like they were a soft fabric, on the all terrains I could put all my weight into the sidewall and it'd hardly budge.. I run em at 50psi, they are rated for 65psi IIRC.. IMHO emergency maneuvers would not be compromised with these on in the summer.. I still enjoy tearing up mountain twisties and they are very predictable and perform as well as any all seasons on bigger wheels Ive used.

The only real downside with em is they like to pickup rocks, those will make clicking noises on pavement and also dislodge at interstate speeds.. I'd suggest installing some mudflaps if your going to wear something with aggressive tread like this.

I had to completely reshape my front brake calipers with a grinder to make enough clearance for these 17's to fit, its definately not for the faint of heart.. I was determined and stubborn, so I found a way.. They look great and I love these wheels, I wouldn't recommend taking an angle grinder to a $40k+ vehicle..

Last edited by dreadlocks; 09-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default the Q7 has a different power bias

the system sends more power to the rear wheels than in the typical quattro (s4 avant etc) . I don't quite understand that reasoning but I have found that it indeed does this, found an ice covered road and played with different power applications till I figured out the breaking point of the tires. I was visiting friends once and on leaving I encountered a "plow wall" across the end of their street with a chebbie 4wd driven by red necks stuck in it. I pulled up and drove up and through the top and higcentered my S4 which I expected. I noticed their amusement of my situation, turned off the traction control to get some wheel spin to rock the car a bit, then drove out of it and into the street. The red necks stopped laughing then!!!

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Thanks Fly - I have dws contis for my winter S3 set-up - love em for rain and snow.

The Q7 is the first quattro I've had that gets stuck - I had two Allroads and they could climb trees - no problem with any other Audis, I also was raised on the east coast and love snow "play" - very experienced - it really is the set-up, I'm sure - as well, Tahoe gets some deep snow. Ice and packed snow it the wheel-house for this quattro/ haldex set-up - it's really amazing how much I've gotten away with - just need a tougher set-up for slightly more extreme conditions. The freaking plows always plow us into our (uphill) driveway too - need to blast through that almost every day of winter (if it's snowing).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Tire Questions - REAL traction please