Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

More Tire Questions - REAL traction please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flynavy
the system sends more power to the rear wheels than in the typical quattro (s4 avant etc) . I don't quite understand that reasoning but I have found that it indeed does this, found an ice covered road and played with different power applications till I figured out the breaking point of the tires. I was visiting friends once and on leaving I encountered a "plow wall" across the end of their street with a chebbie 4wd driven by red necks stuck in it. I pulled up and drove up and through the top and higcentered my S4 which I expected. I noticed their amusement of my situation, turned off the traction control to get some wheel spin to rock the car a bit, then drove out of it and into the street. The red necks stopped laughing then!!!
Awesome story - love it.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Concluding this with just getting 19in Scorpion Verde AS Plus - $950 installed - reviews are really good on most forums and 50% less than the wheel/ tire packages I was thinking for the 18" solutions - after these burn-up in 25k I'll try this exercise again, I'll be a little more prepared too.

Thanks y'alls for the help!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Speaking of brakes, I am delightend and thrilled to see the Q7 has SIX piston and FOUR piston FIXED, FIXED calipers both front and rear. Man they are beefy and look awesome. Heck I want to put these calipers all around on my S8...Has a dinky floating single piston in the rear. and these calipers appear on ebay for very cheap

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
I had to completely reshape my front brake calipers with a grinder to make enough clearance for these 17's to fit, its definately not for the faint of heart.. I was determined and stubborn, so I found a way.. They look great and I love these wheels, I wouldn't recommend taking an angle grinder to a $40k+ vehicle..
Old 09-27-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
Speaking of brakes, I am delightend and thrilled to see the Q7 has SIX piston and FOUR piston FIXED, FIXED calipers both front and rear. Man they are beefy and look awesome. Heck I want to put these calipers all around on my S8...Has a dinky floating single piston in the rear. and these calipers appear on ebay for very cheap
Keep in mind that the S8 rear caliper includes a parking brake. The Q7 Brembo caliper does not. The parking brake is a separate small drum brake inside the rotor hat. Conversion would not be simple. But yes, the Q7 has awesome brakes.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
We rented the cricket to demo it...
Awesome! I was going to ask how you liked it; I remember reading up on them a few years ago thinking a few years forward they might be better. They were mostly just fabric then!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
the system sends more power to the rear wheels than in the typical quattro (s4 avant etc) . I don't quite understand that reasoning but I have found that it indeed does this, found an ice covered road and played with different power applications till I figured out the breaking point of the tires.
I know the Euro guys had locker options. I've tried to see about having them retro'd but I can't find enough info about them. (I would pick up another Q7 to build). Then this baby would be unstoppable!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I know that there are a lot of tire threads, but this is a unique request. I've been stuck in the snow (yeah, really) 3 times in winter - still on stock tires - time to replace and I don't care about road noise or handling (wife car anyway and she doesn't car either) - I just want decent traction in snow (and rain) but don't want snow tires, they wear-out too quickly (?).

Advice needed.

I have stock 19's - willing to go to 18's to get more tire options if needed.
I originally had 255/55/18 Nitto grapplers on my Touareg and that baby climbed all over Breckenridge and Wolf Creek, in Colorado unscathed.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
I originally had 255/55/18 Nitto grapplers on my Touareg and that baby climbed all over Breckenridge and Wolf Creek, in Colorado unscathed.
Yeah, that's the direction I wanted to take - next time for sure. Probably won't be long, these Q7s shred tires - I swear they sneak out at night and drift around.