Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

NAV - Points of Interests (POI)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV - Points of Interests (POI)

Hello everyone:

I just recently bought a new Q7 for my wife with the NAV package but I didn't realize how weak the NAV system is on these cars.

I've owned Audi's in the past but this is my first one with NAV, and having used NAV in the past with the Subaru Tribeca, the Audi version doesn't compare.

I found my self looking for a drug store, or grocery stores and I CAN'T FIND ANY! At first I thought that I was doing something wrong, but having read the manual twice I realize that these POI's are not part of the system - you can't even search by typing the name of the place where you want to go, you have to browse by category, which takes a relative long time...

In overall I love this vehicle, but the NAV is way too outdated. I couldn't even see on the map a huge shopping center that has been open for 5 years; this worries me.

I hope that Audi is making plans for a huge software upgrade, otherwise the NAV package is a waiste of money - you can get the TOM TOM Nav for way less money and more capabilities...

If I am wrong and there is a way, PLEASE show me how I can find Walgreens, or CVS, etc...

Sorry for the novel... I am just super fustrated!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You cannot find supermarkets, drug stores, ... but you can find wine stores :^(

If BMW did it Audi can; an upgrade is need it, Audi Nav should offer searching by name and why not by phone number, the categories sucks.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It is weak

Very poor points of interest. I have a Garmin NUVI 660, and it is light years ahead, both in POI and user interface. Touch screen is much better.
With the NUVI, when you find a POI, you can touch the phone icon and it will dial the number for the POI. Also shows traffic info. I would have opted not to have the NAV if it was not bundled with other must haves.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You cannot find supermarkets, drug stores, ... but you can find wine stores :^(

I spoke to a person I know who is part of the development team at NAVTEQ who does the software for Audi and many other vehicles. The real issue is not the navigations system, but is what Audi wants to have as features. The map base is the same as used in the Acura, Lexus ..etc., and all those vehicles have XM traffic integration and POI functions. Audi has not yet approved these a number of features that can be provided in the US. They appear to be working on approval for new features in late Sept/Oct for the 2008 model year, but the negotiations have not yet been concluded.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Nav updates you mention sound like another thing early adopters are going to get shafted on.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hopefully Audi will do it soon, the only negotiation should be for real traffic data

the categories and 3D is something Audi should have done 2 years ago (this is software related)