Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Need Help! Valve covers need replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Help! Valve covers need replaced?

So I have a Q7 with the 4.2 L. I had a very rough idle a couple of weeks ago, almost to the point it felt and sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders. I took it in to the shop and they said it had mis fire codes on 5 of the 8 cylinders. They pulled out the spark plugs I guess and they were covered in oil. Their solution was to change the right and left valve cover gaskets because they said that was probably where the oil was leaking down in from. For some reason I am not sure that sounds probable. Can't the intake valve guilds leak oil down into the engine with they are worn out? What do you guys think here? Oh, and just an FYI, it has been running fine since this happened. It ran funny for that 1 trip and then when I turned it off and re-started it, it ran fine, and is still running fine right now. Not sure if that matters.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes the rocker cover seal for these 4.2’s have an outer seal area the 4 rings split down the middle of the seal which seal around the spark plug coils to stop the oil leaking down into the spark plug. I have had this problem before also. They will need to be changed bud and you can source them from most places online or at auto shops.
worn valve guide seals on the other hand will cause huge smoke on startup due to oil seeping down onto the valve head when shut off for a period of time. If this isn’t the case with your q7 it’s only the rocker cover seal leaking onto the coil packs mate.
cheers
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Up-it
Yes the rocker cover seal for these 4.2’s have an outer seal area the 4 rings split down the middle of the seal which seal around the spark plug coils to stop the oil leaking down into the spark plug. I have had this problem before also. They will need to be changed bud and you can source them from most places online or at auto shops.
worn valve guide seals on the other hand will cause huge smoke on startup due to oil seeping down onto the valve head when shut off for a period of time. If this isn’t the case with your q7 it’s only the rocker cover seal leaking onto the coil packs mate.
cheers
Thank you! You answered a very good question for me. I have been wondering this. I will be changing out the cover seals right away
Old 11-17-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

It's the same setup VAG has been using on 4 & 5V engines since the PL code 1.8L 16v back in 1985 from the GTi...Over time that gasket fails and starts leaking oil. All of my 4, 5, 6 and 8 cylinder Audis that had more than 2V per cylinder have done the same exact thing.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update. You were all correct! Replaced the Valve cover gaskets, cleaned the coils, replaced spark plugs and is running great now. Sad part was a vacuum line going to the power brake booster was broken during the repair and I lost brakes and my idle went to heck. I thought the worst. Thankfully I had a new line ran and all is well again.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have any rough start? what were exact symptoms, and when were they noticed?

Originally Posted by JoeIndy35
So I have a Q7 with the 4.2 L. I had a very rough idle a couple of weeks ago, almost to the point it felt and sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders. I took it in to the shop and they said it had mis fire codes on 5 of the 8 cylinders. They pulled out the spark plugs I guess and they were covered in oil. Their solution was to change the right and left valve cover gaskets because they said that was probably where the oil was leaking down in from. For some reason I am not sure that sounds probable. Can't the intake valve guilds leak oil down into the engine with they are worn out? What do you guys think here? Oh, and just an FYI, it has been running fine since this happened. It ran funny for that 1 trip and then when I turned it off and re-started it, it ran fine, and is still running fine right now. Not sure if that matters.