Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Need input on how to install a towing brake controller on 2012 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on how to install a towing brake controller on 2012 Q7

Hi Audi Enthusiasts,

I have run into a lot of issues getting my Audi 2012 Q7 tow ready.

I cant find an Audi dealer who will install an aftermarket break controller and cant get RV/Tow places to touch my Q7 "because we've had issues with those complicated German cars".

As a work around, I purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy RF

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...435&part=90250

I worked through the known but no noted issue that the Q7 wont send power to the 7-way unless it detects an actual trailer, but that you need to pair the cab controller to the power unit WITHOUT a trailer connected by taping off the 5 o'clock tine when pairing and then taking the tape off to get the Q7 to power the 7-way connect after pairing.

All good, except when I hit a steep grade the gain was set too high and I woudl up blowing a 15 amp fuse in position #9 in back fuse panel.

Having now replaced the fuse, I can re-pair the unit, but it shows "NC" or not connected even when hitch is attached.

#1 Question: Anyone have a similar experience/ideas?
#2 Question: I could swear that there is an article on this forum to install a (wired) controller uner the steering wheel. If I cant get the RF unti to work I'd really like to provide the towing shop that cut sheet so that they have a guide to install a wired controller.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here you go for earlier models. It was dead on for my 2010 Q7.

Fwiw, I was told by both Tekonsha and Carlisle (the hydraulic over electric brake unit on my trailer) that the RF version would not work; so I went wired.

If you have a factory (not a dealer installed) towing package, you don't need the wireless, as everything is wired to the 7-pin trailer plug on the back of the car.

As for the NC, check your fuses. If your Q7 is like mine, the towing control box is behind the side panel on the passenger side of the luggage compartment. There are three different fuses there that are associated with the towing package. Check your Owner's Manual to see which ones they are.
Attached Files
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'll review tonight.

I do have FACTORY installed tow package. The issue was that no one woudl create a harness to plug the wired controller into (what appears to be) the blue input plug under and just to the left of the steering wheel.

I couls not find an aftermarket adapter that woudl run from wired break controller to that receptor, making me this a custom one woudl need to be made.