Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New owner: Made a mistake and purchased extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner: Made a mistake and purchased extended warranty

Hello,

My wife and I got a Q7 TDi last Monday with 63k miles for $24,000. We had our two toddler boys with us. Long story short....I was watching the boys while she was finishing up paperwork at finance. I told her about the extended emissions warranty prior to purchase....she ended up agreeing on a 48 month/48,000 bumper to bumper warranty for an additional $5900! Am I right by telling her that we need to cancel this? She's having a lot of push back but I feel that this will be a complete waste when most of the high dollar repairs could be covered under the emissions warranty. Can someone please chime in and tell me I am right or if I am wrong...I would love to hear your feedback!! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Josh
Old 12-19-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, it seems like you are in a really tight situation especially when the ink has already dried on the purchase contract that includes the extra 48 month/48000 bumper to bumper warranty. It is very easy to get money into a Car Dealer's coffers but you will have to go through the eye of a needle to get money out of their till. My advice is to meet with the General Manager and make your request and let him or her know that this choice was an honest mistake. Talking to the Finance Manager, the one who sold your wife on this warranty, will not be supportive to you since you are essentially taking away commissions from him or her.

If both Finance Manager and General Manager won't budge in releasing you from this warranty contract, maybe instead of cash back, negotiate for a dealer credit towards a new vehicle or service or accessories. The dealer credit will need to be transferrable to another party in case you decide to convert it to cash by selling it. A long shot but worth a try.

Who is underwriting the warranty? Audi or a third party warranty company?

Here's my parting advice when you buy your next vehicle, it is best to leave the kids at home with a nanny or babysitter so you won't get distracted when settling business with any car dealer. With sales people including the dreaded Finance Manager practicing high pressure selling tactics, you will need to stay focused every step of the sales process.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cancelled mine by sending a notarized letter to the dealership requesting cancellation.
In my state you have 30 days, that may vary. Read the contract, the cancellation information should be in there.
I got all the money back.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

$5,900 on a warranty? Do you drive an Audi or an Aston Martin? Yes its a gigantic waste of money and you should demand a refund immediately. Warranty companies are in business to make money, not for charity. Statistically speaking you will not use up the amount you invested, otherwise the company would not offer it. Audi emission warranty covers a lot of high dollar items. That $5,900 would have gotten you a model year newer and less miles. WASTE OF MONEY.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Let me give you some advice at dealing with sales people. Especially dealerships. I do real estate for a living but I operate my business with zero pressure. I care about my clients and truly want whats best for them. Dealerships dont care about you, they want to make money.

Be very direct with them, and ask what their fees are as soon as you talk to a sales person. "how much is your doc fee?" Do you charge any additional fees? If they say yes then ask them to be waived. They have to charge a doc fee but many will try and sneak in some BS. Like an oil change plan, interior protection, vin etching, or some other crap. Tell them you will NOT pay any of those junk fees. Be direct with these people, they are not your friend. When the finance guy is offering it say no firmly and look them in the eye. The finance people will rake you over the coals if you allow it. Those are very highly trained sales people and very good working the numbers in the dealerships favor.

The majority of car salesman are scum. Especially at the manufacturer dealerships. The smaller independent ones tend to be a little better but still need to be very careful. Read your paperwork, and look at every number line by line. If you dont understand something they need to explain it clearly or you will walk. I would NEVER let me wife with the finance person alone. She is way too shy to stand up for herself.

Last but not least know your sh*t. Spend a few minutes researching cars and know your numbers. You can easily see how a car is priced by searching a couple websites. Im looking for a Q7 for my wife right now. I can tell you exactly what any 2014-2015 Q7 is worth if you tell me the mileage and trim level/options. I use cars.com iseecars.com, autotrader, and autotempest. Search the entire country for the car, trim level, max mileage and see what they are listed for. 15 minutes max. I live in Raleigh and in my area cars are grossly overpriced. I can save $5k on a Q7 by buying from another state and paying $600 for shipping.

Extended warranty for an audi? No. Range rover? Yes