Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New Owner Needs Help With New Tires!!! (2014 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Needs Help With New Tires!!! (2014 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige)

So I have seen some older posts, but none recently, and I need some assistance as a new Audi SUV owner.

I recently purchased a 2014 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige Edition with 21" rims. I love the car (the only thing I am missing is the air suspension, or at least I do not know how to access it), but the OEM tires have developed something referred to as "sunrot" from sitting on the car lot and not being driven.

The result is that I suffered a blowout doing 40 mph and had a tow truck come. He was shocked that they would even let the car leave with the tires. I then noticed the "rot" is on all the tires and so I will be replacing all 4.

My questions are:
A: Does an all-season tire even exist for this rim?
B: If no all-season exists, then what summer tire is recommended since I read a lot of negatives about the OEM Sport Maxx tires?
C: What winter tire is recommended for this rim?

Also, living in Denver, we deal with much adverse weather so I was hoping for a little advice in regards to when to switch tires and what to do and what not to do in different driving environments.

Thank you all so much for any advice!!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2011 TDI Prestige but with 20"ers so I can't comment directly on what to run on 21s. So far I've been happy with the Pirellis (all-seasons) that were on the Q when I bought it in Dec. 2013. For winter, I run 18" Blizzaks on a second set of wheels. The recommended Audi size for winter tires is 18".

Based on where you live, I'd get winters too. Dropping down in size opens up the options & availability while also being cheaper! The other bonus is that it'll delay the cost of having to replace your summer tires as you'll be splitting your mileage over two sets of tires.

As to when to swap between summer/winter, the generally recommended point when summers/all-seasons start to degrade in performance is below about 7C or 45F. When you'll be driving in temperatures consistently below that, then you should swap to winters and vice versa to swap back when the temperature is consistently above. For me, in Southern Ontario (Canada), I'm typically swapping Dec 1st & Mar 15 +/- a week or two depending on my schedule, when I can get an appointment to do the swap, and on what the weather trend is actually looking like.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Good Info

I got and talked to some tire guys today and it does seem like getting 18" rims is the best solution. He told me that thinner tire+more rubber=best snow driving. I found some rims that were on a Porsche Cayenne for $450 and was thinking I could throw some rubber on those. The 21" winter tires were $400-$500 a tire and for 18" it is more like $200-$300 a tire for tires that seem like they will last longer (and are more likely to have a tire guarantee.

If anyone has suggestions for 18" cheap to moderately priced rims that look good on a black Q7 I would love your input.

...kinda sad to lose the aggressive look, but it seems like the best idea for a couple months.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Where they Dunlops? I replaced mine with the Continentals CrossContact. The price is better than the Mich's and they are very quiet too.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tires

i live in colorado springs. have used and will continue to use nokian all season. all the news is good. don't know about 21" sizes.

peter
Originally Posted by DenverAudiQ7
So I have seen some older posts, but none recently, and I need some assistance as a new Audi SUV owner.

I recently purchased a 2014 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige Edition with 21" rims. I love the car (the only thing I am missing is the air suspension, or at least I do not know how to access it), but the OEM tires have developed something referred to as "sunrot" from sitting on the car lot and not being driven.

The result is that I suffered a blowout doing 40 mph and had a tow truck come. He was shocked that they would even let the car leave with the tires. I then noticed the "rot" is on all the tires and so I will be replacing all 4.

My questions are:
B: If no all-season exists, then what summer tire is recommended since I read a lot of negatives about the OEM Sport Maxx tires?

Also, living in Denver, we deal with much adverse weather so I was hoping for a little advice in regards to when to switch tires and what to do and what not to do in different driving environments.

Thank you all so much for any advice!!
Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverAudiQ7
I recently purchased a 2014 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige Edition with 21" rims.

My questions are:
I have a 2015 Q7 with the 20" wheels. I ordered it that way specifically because of the challenges assocaited with the 21"s.

A. As of last fall when I made my purchase, there were no 21" all-season tires produced in the factory size. None. I live in Kansas where conditions really don't require full winter tires, so this truly was a deal breaker for me on the 21s since I didn't want to be bothered with swapping wheels and tires.

Now for the good news - Continental just came out with the Extreme Contact DWS06 in the 21" OEM size. This is the first time an all season option has been available in the OEM size. The DWS06 is, by all accounts, a really good performing all season tire. I would not hesitate trying them (and very likely will when my factory tires are done), but they might not be aggressive enough for the mountains around Denver.

B. For full summer tires, Yokohama Advan Sport and Pirelli P-Zero are both good choices.

C. If you want winter in the rather wide OEM size (narrower is better for snow performance), there aren't many choices. Pirelli Scorpions are available, and are a decent winter choice, though they're not going to be hard-core go-anywhere tires. Nokian Hakkapilietta is a strong choice, but you'll need different wheels. Downsizing to 18" probably isn't strictly necessary, but 20" or smaller will help with performance and tire choice.

Last edited by JKJ; 09-27-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just moved here (Denver, CO.. Ft Collins to be specific) from Alabama. Do we really get enough snow here that we'd drive through to warrant full blown winter tires? I figured all seasons may be more appropriate.. but again, I've only ever visited here for the skiing.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pagpc
i live in colorado springs. have used and will continue to use nokian all season. all the news is good. don't know about 21" sizes.

peter
Peter,
I would say yes. I don't know what size rims you have but mine are 21" and there are no all season options, only summer, as a result I wouldn't be able to drive in the snow, and the cold really affects the rubber as well. I wound up on tire rack where I got as close to the factory winter set ($2700) for about $1500). When it is consistently under 45 degrees I will be switching to the winter set. This also help minimize damage from sliding to the 21" rims.

In Colorado Springs I believe it is colder and you typically get more snow. Therefore, I would recommend getting the thinner 18" rims with winter tires so you will have maximum traction in the snow and cold.

Just a note these winter tires should last a few seasons depending on how much you drive, and will minimize your needing to purchase the $1200-1300 purchase for the sport tires.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked in to replacing my 20's with 21's but the tire choices are very limited in that size. I picked up a second set of 20" wheels pretty cheaply with yokahama prada x tires and those seem to be pretty good. My other wheels have the pirelli scorpion tires which also work pretty well.