Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New Q7 TDI Emission issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Default New Q7 TDI Emission issues

My advisor claimed AUDI is having problems with the TDI Q7's, with respect to the 3L programming and emissions equipment; and that Audi was probably going to start a recall based on the issues (hardware and software failures.)

Unrelated my starter bit the dust "5462 - Starter Control; Returned Message: 50 Short to Ground // 5456 - Starter Will Not Turn ", used VCDS and found that to be the culprit. Towed to the dealer, was given a loaner and my advisor asked me if I've had any issues since the new equipment and software was installed about a year ago (through him). I told him my VCDS scan showed "9567 - NOx Sensor 2 Bank 1", I've noticed that the ash buildup on the tailpipe seems heavier, and I've just finished my first tank of def.

Where that goes I have no idea. Anyone else seeing any issues? (Besides the debatable trans-shifting)

Last edited by Built4Sin; 12-10-2018 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I had my Nox sensors all replaced shortly after the update. Then the EGR valve caked closed, they had to replace that too. All in all about $3k worth of repairs.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

No issues here other than frequent cooling fan running after shutdown. ( due to unfinished DPF regen I assume) 14000 miles since the emissions mods.
Thanks for the update. Will continue to monitor.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Brought in my Q7 for '20192 Reductant Tank Cap Switch - Implausible Signal', throwing a check engine light. The next day, my adblue countdown started, and I called Audi to schedule an appointment. I then went and picked up some adblue to see if I added any, I could get the countdown to reset. I figured the check engine, was the DEF system, and I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't get a quick fix without a proper adblue check. Well I could only add about 3 gallons, before it wouldn't take anymore. I tried to reset the level sensor with VCDS and all the tricks I could think of. Nothing, the sensor reporting from VCDS said the system was 59% full.

Anyways, brought it to Audi and got an email today saying that they found the NOX 2 sensor wasn't responding (found that a few months ago), but after clearing the code I couldn't get it to trigger again. They also found the add blue dosing module was faulty. Perhaps, this will solve my white tailpipe issue, the underside of my tips, look like its spraying so much Urea that its dripping and running down the rear of my exhaust.

The adblue module is back ordered and apparently requires regional approval to be released. In the meantime I'll be moonlighting a 2018 Q5 (might as well rack miles on this and not my personal cars ), not too shabby, but small.

Last edited by Built4Sin; 02-05-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my glow plug light blinking with engine light solid last week. I pulled the codes and got high pressure fuel pump and something else. It's at the dealer today. We'll see what's up, I need the vehicle back on Friday.

Yeah, if Audi pushed a fix so that they wouldn't have the larger payout liability that would be bad. My overall impression of the vehicle post-fix is that it's fine but I really miss the engine braking.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got my Q back today, the dealer couldn't find the coolant leak. I can smell it sometimes outside the car, but after pressure 'leak' testing and having them check the EGR cooler, they gave up. They couldn't find a trace nor where it would be seeping. Its super gradual, I refilled some a few months ago and unless it was dropping quickly they weren't concerned. Meh, I'll deal with it once it gets hotter out.

AdBlue parts replaced:
059-907-807-R NOX Sensor 2
4H0-131-113-A DEF Dosing Valve
GUS-052-910-A3 Adblue urea

From the workorder my NOX readings,
NOX 1: 120 PPM
NOX 2: 65000 PPM

After replacing the Dosing valve and Nox 2 sensor:
NOX 1: 120 PPM
NOX 2: 10 PPM

I'll keep an eye on my tail pipes and see if they start to crust over again. Other than that, the tech said he found water in the system, so the service manager was going to try and stick me with the NOX bill. However my service advisor stuck up for me. The tech mentioned that when he drained a little fluid from the tank it didn't stain the ground after drying. So I was asked to bring in the last jug of adblue I had used so the service manager could see (I added 2.5 gal and then another .5 gal before the system wouldn't take anymore prior to drop off for service). I had to laugh, considering the obligation it would take to fill the system with water!! It would have to be deliberate, since the tank requires an adapter to even add fluid. They ended up draining my system and refilling it.

Car seems a lot more peppy, we'll see in the coming days. The 2.0T Q5, was pretty uninspiring, however I would love to have Carplay!

Edit: Check engine for (20192 Reductant Tank Cap Switch), workorder states: Urea cap switch not showing closed, repaired switch and added urea.

Last edited by Built4Sin; 02-13-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Reductant tank cap switch
Old 02-14-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have another coolant leak...

Dealer says its a coolant shut off valve. 3 months ago it was oil cooler
Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can you post the part numbers when you get the workorder? I can't find anything about a coolant shut off valve, and I've scored Google & Audi parts for the last 15min.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
Can you post the part numbers when you get the workorder? I can't find anything about a coolant shut off valve, and I've scored Google & Audi parts for the last 15min.
It ended up not being the coolant shut off valve. EGR cooler instead. Was covered under the emissions warranty.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm new both to Audi and AudiWorld. Hopefully i'm posting in an appropriate spot.
Just to background, I'm a car guy. I own a small dealership so i can get some tax write off from my auto addiction. :-)

Anyway, I've had some Mercedes diesels over the years but not VW/Audi.
We recently bought a Jetta TDI sportwagen for my brother from VW and i liked it so much i decided to try a Q7.
So about 2 weeks ago I bought a 2011 Q7 from VW that they had bought back and completed the TDI settlement mods.

But as soon as i picked up the Q, it had a check engine light and the AdBlue warning. No arbitration on it, so I have to get it fixed myself.
I used my ELM327 and the EOBD Facile app to pull the codes.
It has a P20E8 and a P261A. The P20E8 is clearly emissions-related.
Currently vehicle is parked with 150 miles left on the timeout.

So how hard was it for you to use the emissions warranty?
I scheduled an appointment at Audi of OKC for next Monday, but looks like they want to charge $140 diagnostics fee.
I contacted Audi and asked about fees and corporate says the diagnostic fee is up to dealer discretion whether they wave it.
What's your experience with dealers and the emissions warranty?

Thanks for your help.
-rocky

Quick Reply: New Q7 TDI Emission issues