Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

No incoming call ring sound on car speakers with "new" iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:26 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No incoming call ring sound on car speakers with "new" iPhone

I just received a "new" company phone - an iPhone 7 (the company intentionally deploys 2-generation old devices). My old Android device worked great via Bluetooth, but the new phone has one annoying issue. When an incoming call arrives, there is no signal played over the vehicle speakers. The MMI switches to the incoming call screen, and radio audio is muted like one would expect, but no ringtone plays. Once you accept the call, call audio plays over the vehicle speakers normally.

I verified that the "ringer volume" setting in MMI is turned up all the way, and the ringer on the phone is likewise on, as is the setting to direct calls to bluetooth headset. I am using a stock iPhone ring tone at the moment, but intend to upload a custom one eventually, if that matters.

Vehicle is a 2015 Q7 Prestige with MMI 3G+.

Any suggestions welcome. I'm assuming this is something stupid that's my fault, as this is my first Apple device, so I don't fully speak its language yet.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You are not the first one with this issue. The iPhone like newer Android phones now support Bluetooth in-band ringtones. When a phone call comes in, the MMI no longer produces the ringtone and instead the phone's own ringtone plays over the car's speakers. The ringtone options in the MMI have no effect and/or are grayed out. For some reason the volume is all the way turned down by default and it can only be raised with the volume control while the phone is ringing. For some reason there is no setting in the MMI to control the in-band ringtone volume. So next time your phone rings, just turn up the MMI volume via the steering wheel or center console ***** before accepting the call. Once you have it set to your liking, it will remember the volume setting, but in the future you can only lower or raise it during an incoming call before accepting the call.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:21 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you - that did it. Nothing like an undocumented "feature" to make things easier. I played with it a little, and apparently the car's ringtone volume is completely independent of the phone's ringer volume. That, at least, makes sense. Why they need a hidden in-call ringer volume control still doesn't. But at least it works now!