Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Not sure what I bought

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what I bought

It's a 2011 Premium Plus TDI w/ 105k, I believe in Misano red? I've only seen 3-4 of these, but I'm in love with the color.

Got a few questions though

1. How many Misano red Q7's are there?
2. Are "hard" downshifts/upshifts at part throttle at a mph where the trans is between two gears normal? I noticed while going 49~ mph, it wants to be in 8th but dropping a couple mph forces a hard shift into 7th.
3. Is a light humming noise when off throttle normal? Not sure what type of center diff the car has.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

1. Never seen one in person, I'm not a fan of red but that is pretty.. I'd be blacking out all that chrome personally.
2. Thats part of post-fix diesels, they try to avoid peak power because thats peak torque.. shoot a PM to yrk2.7t@curbside and he can restore the original TCM tune, and I really doubt they the dealer can detect it since its just the original software.
3. I've always had all terrains on mine, I hear alot of tire noise but nothing from drivetrain.

Consider changing Transmission and Diff Fluid, Audi considers em life time fluids but IMO they really shoulda been changed by 105k... Aisin the company that made your gearbox dont think its lifetime fluid thats for sure.

This is a full torsion diff'd mechanical quattro, center diff drives a 60/40 split rear/front.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-20-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
1. Never seen one in person, I'm not a fan of red but that is pretty.. I'd be blacking out all that chrome personally.
2. Thats part of post-fix diesels, they try to avoid peak power because thats peak torque.. shoot a PM to yrk2.7t@curbside and he can restore the original TCM tune, and I really doubt they the dealer can detect it since its just the original software.
3. I've always had all terrains on mine, I hear alot of tire noise but nothing from drivetrain.

Consider changing Transmission and Diff Fluid, Audi considers em life time fluids but IMO they really shoulda been changed by 105k... Aisin the company that made your gearbox dont think its lifetime fluid thats for sure.

This is a full torsion diff'd mechanical quattro, center diff drives a 60/40 split rear/front.

Picked the car up 3 days ago, first on the to-do list is getting it detailed, and then window tint the fronts before trying to find new wheels/tires since I'm not a huge fan of the OEM 20's.

I thought ZF made the 8spd in these cars, not Aisin?

Does resetting the TCM tune require me to have downtime, or is it something that can be handled through vagcom?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Aisin made the 8spd in the Q7, ZF made the transmissions in the Q5, mebe thats why EVERYONE is always confused.. IMO Aisn > ZF

Aisin TR-80SD - 8-speed HD longitudinal
  • VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q7 (Volkswagen transmission code: 0C8)
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions

You cant do it through VAG-COM, but you can get the model# of your TCM from VCDS and mebe he'd have a matching one to exchange.. otherwise You'd have to take the TCM out from under the passenger seat, overnight it to him and then have him overnight it back if your not near his physical location.. in the mean time you can put it in manual mode for a while and kinda nudge the adaptation back towards your driving style, but most agree the pre-fix TCM was way better than the post-fix TCM

I got windows tinted then immediately ditched the OEM 20's, so id say your off to a good start

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-20-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Pravi, welcome aboard! Very nice photo! Good luck with it.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Pravi, welcome aboard! Very nice photo! Good luck with it.
Thanks, hoping it treats me well.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
I am new to my post-fix Q7 TDI as well. I've had it about a month now, and I have never noticed hard downshifting/upshifting. My TDI seems to have almost ZERO engine breaking which I find annoying for a vehicle of this size and a diesel. Mine tends to want always "run", and even at stop lights, when I let off the brake it seems to pull forward quite quickly.

Do you know if the TCM tune, helps with the engine breaking? Have you tried it personally? How's it affect the MPG?

Thanks for this info!
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine is not fixed, it engine brakes all the time.. they removed that with fix among other things.. all he does is restore prefix software.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default very nice color!

welcome to the Audi world!
Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Pravi: What a beautiful car (and great find). My wife has me looking into Google earth to figure out where it is, so don't be surprised if it is not in the driveway in the morning. The first car I bought her was a red '69 411 and every car since has been a dark Germanic colour. She wanted red this time to come full circle, but forced purchase meant we are stuck with boring white. WhenI was looking for a Q7 last year, I saw one red gasser (cough, choke, spit) in Calgary AB, but in months of looking, no others. It was also not that bright colour you have.

Quick Reply: Not sure what I bought