Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Anyone else considering a move to Atlas

Old 02-05-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else considering a move to Atlas

I will try to be very careful and sensitive here, as I realize this is an Audi forum. And consider that I currently own a Q7 (and an A4) and have always owned Audi vehicles.

Long story short, due for a change, and just cannot stomach the new Q7 look, to me it looks too much like a station wagon compared to the model it replaces, too much like a Chrysler Pacifica look. I realize it is a love hate thing, but sadly I fall with the latter group.

Went to the car show to scope for a replacement for the Q7, and was surprised at the trucks that made my list. I will tell you the ones that were not on the list, MDX, X5, QX60, Range. Either lacked 3rd row or cargo space, lacked captain chairs, lacked style, or just too common out there.

Q7 short list replacement came down to the following
Buick Enclave Avenir trim (newly redesigned)
Volvo XC90
VW Atlas

After inspecting all features and taking all 3 for a drive, we had fallen in love with the Atlas. It felt like what the new Q7 should have been, minus some of the plastic trim. Had so much going for it, including the digital cockpit and while the dash layout is not as wow as the Enclave, it still looked good. Space is the most impressive for sure, way more room than the Q7. And the 2-tone leather in the Execline looked slick, as did the captain chairs. Have a deposit on an Execline with R-Line trim, set me back $56K CAD, which is probably $15K+ cheaper than the Q7 or any of the others (closer to $30K savings if you consider the others mentioned).

So to get to my point on an Audi forum (for which I am a current Audi owner). Am I the only guy considering a move from a Q7 to an Atlas ?? There surely must be more guys like me out there, and if so, would love to hear from you as to how and why you were willing to walk away from the Q7 and Audi.

Thanks
Neil
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

Wait you think the new Q7 looks like a Chrysler product but the Atlas does not!? It looks like a Jeep knock off with fake exhaust tips...

I'm a huge VW Fanboi, but the Atlas does nothing to tickle my fancy.. I'd give up the 3rd row and get a T-Regg if I was going to a VW SUV.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually yes and yes. I do feel that the new Q7 looks like a wagon, substitute whichever wagon you want (I chose older Pacifica as an example because I had owned one way back). I know there are some that love the new Q7 look, and if that is what you like, then great. But I just don't like it, and I don't think I am the one and only out there either. And yes, I do think that the Atlas looks like a beef'ed up Grand Cherokee, it looks more truck, more SUV than the Q7, that is my point. We even sat in the Escalade, Yukon, Navigator at the car show, but wanted the room it offered in something less refrigerator boxy, and we felt the Atlas hit the mark, making you feel like you have all of that space from the bigger trucks, giving you a nice sharp look, without looking too wagon'ish or boxy.

BTW, 3rd row is a must, and not just 3rd row, but roomy 3rd row. We occasionally will haul some extra people around, and when we don't, a very roomy 3rd row folded means an even roomier cargo area. In fact, I remember reading an article somewhere, where a salesman said that there were couples walking into his showroom, asking for an SUV with 3rd row, and they did not even have any kids, they just wanted it in case they had to drive some people around one day.

And we really like the look of captain's chairs for 2nd row, my son loves it, feels more comfortable sitting in his own seat. So that too is impacting the decision to move away to something else, as the list of SUV's with 2nd row captain chairs is fairly limited.

Like I said, just looking to see if there are others (current Q7 owners like me) less impressed with the new Q7 look, and if anyone is looking elsewhere, and if yes, did Atlas make the short list.

Last edited by neilsakaitis; 02-05-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Shrug, I think my Q7 looks like an Avant Crossover.. thats a typical European styling, since wagons are 100x more popular in Europe than North America.. Its not something they changed with the 2nd Gen Q7, and while I do think the Gen1 looks better than the Gen2, I've found the Gen2 is growing on me the more I see them on the road.

From what I've seen, those people with more European tastes dont have much love for the Atlas.. those with more domestic tastes Love it.. really for me it comes down to that fake *** exhaust, that turns me off like a pair of Granny Panties..
Old 02-05-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hear ya, and appreciate the feedback. I guess I feel I could live with those exhaust tips more than a round metal pipe sticking out the back. It's the tuxedo bow tie back there instead of the sloppy t-shirt with spaghetti stains, if you catch my drift.

I am also looking to spice up the Atlas with a set of 22's. I feel that if I was to slap a set of 22's onto the new gen Q7, let alone a new Enclave, it would just look odd, like trying too hard on a very family shaped truck. On something like an Atlas or Grand Cherokee, Durango, F-Pace, etc, would go over better.

But like I said, it's a personal choice, and even I never thought I would be drawn away from Q7 or Audi for that matter, to own a VW again (owned a Jetta and wife owned a Bug way back when)...
Old 02-05-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

soo you want more of a truck look so you can throw car tires on it?, yeah not many people here have your tastes.. yes if you want to throw 22in donks on it, please dont buy an Audi.. your 100% right thinking you need to shame another vehicle w/those.. :P
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

22's on q7 will look just as good as 22s on an atlas. Difference is, the atlas NEEDS 22s because it's so big. The body styling has serious potential when coupled with good shoes.

i personally like the atlas but i feel that they lack interior materials quality, even with the SEL premium. The cockpit is nice, but not as nice as the q7 in terms of config and lacks google maps with satellite view.

For me though, at least right now, the killer is lack of configuration options for the USA market.

For example:
- You can only get cockpit on SEL Premium
- No R-Line possible on SEL premium
- SEL Premium only comes in V6, not 2.0T
- No 4-motion offered for 2.0T

For me, i would consider the atlas if i could get it in an R-Line 2.0T 4-motion with digital cockpit, leather, etc etc, Basically fully loaded.

VW has been making these stupid packages for a while now.

When i had a CC R-line, it was a gorgeous car but their lack of customization left me desiring a more upscale interior ( leather, bigger nav screen, etc)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey jetsfan,

Don't want to turn this thread into an Atlas chat, but just wanted to let you know that I just ordered an Execline, which I believe is the Canadian equivalent of the SEL Premium. The Execline/SEL is the top model that offers the digital cockpit. And to confirm, I ordered the R-Line pkg for it, which I believe is only available on the top 2 of 4 models, so it is available. I would be worried moving a big truck like the Atlas around on a V4 instead of a V6 though. And btw, more incentive to buy the Atlas in the US too, 6 year warranty. Us Canadians only get the standard 4 years.

Don't let my comment about wanting to add 22" throw off the thread please, that is just a personal taste thing. Was just curious if the Atlas (or any other SUV for that matter) has drawn some people away from current gen Q7 because of the design change, and if Atlas fit the bill. I guess I stand corrected, I must be the only one making the jump to an Atlas around here, even with some plastic interior and all. Like I said, panel for panel, if I compare the Atlas to my current Q7, about on par for plastic parts. Leather interior, got a nice foot long slice on my driver's seat from wear and tear, so leather is not any better in one than the other.

Drove a friends' new gen Q7, and the interior definitely looked nice, and the handling and power was nice too. Plus $15K nicer, not so sure. Would have never questioned this until more affordable trucks like the Atlas, and new Enclave Avenir came along (among the others too like QX60, MDX, X5, etc)....

That new Range Velar looks stunning too, but same problem, lack of space and oh that price tag !!

Back to new gen Q7 vs replacements discussion...
Old 02-05-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default haven't even seen one yet....

I will look it over but I SERIOUSLY doubt that I would switch.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsakaitis
Hey jetsfan,

Don't want to turn this thread into an Atlas chat, but just wanted to let you know that I just ordered an Execline, which I believe is the Canadian equivalent of the SEL Premium. The Execline/SEL is the top model that offers the digital cockpit. And to confirm, I ordered the R-Line pkg for it, which I believe is only available on the top 2 of 4 models, so it is available. I would be worried moving a big truck like the Atlas around on a V4 instead of a V6 though. And btw, more incentive to buy the Atlas in the US too, 6 year warranty. Us Canadians only get the standard 4 years.

Don't let my comment about wanting to add 22" throw off the thread please, that is just a personal taste thing. Was just curious if the Atlas (or any other SUV for that matter) has drawn some people away from current gen Q7 because of the design change, and if Atlas fit the bill. I guess I stand corrected, I must be the only one making the jump to an Atlas around here, even with some plastic interior and all. Like I said, panel for panel, if I compare the Atlas to my current Q7, about on par for plastic parts. Leather interior, got a nice foot long slice on my driver's seat from wear and tear, so leather is not any better in one than the other.

Drove a friends' new gen Q7, and the interior definitely looked nice, and the handling and power was nice too. Plus $15K nicer, not so sure. Would have never questioned this until more affordable trucks like the Atlas, and new Enclave Avenir came along (among the others too like QX60, MDX, X5, etc)....

That new Range Velar looks stunning too, but same problem, lack of space and oh that price tag !!

Back to new gen Q7 vs replacements discussion...

i understand. I guess in canada you guys have diffent trims and packages but that's what we are working with "south of the border"

And i drove both the 2.0T and the V6. 2.0T wins hands down. Better power delivery, better mpg, and it's super conservative in output reserves. When they release the APR or any other tune for that thing, you will be pushing 300hp and over 300 ft lb torque. The V6 is a dinosaur in comparison and is only a fun engine on the smaller sedans (passat, cc, etc)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else considering a move to Atlas