Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Oil pressure warning light, rough idle and Audi of America

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure warning light, rough idle and Audi of America

Please guide me how to get Audi to repair my car ASAP. I have seen several post involving a problem we are having with our 3.6 Q7. If the car sits for a few days when we start it up the engine idle sounds rough and the oil pressure warning light comes on. If we stop and start the car it goes away. Although sometimes we have to cycle the ignition 2 or 3 times. This is all without ever shifting out of park. I took the car in to the dealer a couple of months ago and was told to cycle the ignition on and off. I have read on this forum that this is known problem involving some engine oil valve. I found the posts in Audi World describing the fix. So I went back to the dealer and gave them copies of some of your messages. They were very polite but said they weren't aware of this being a common issue or having any "campaign' to fix this. They said they wanted to keep my car a few days and gave me a nice loaner. I called Audi of America and the person on the phone said this was not a known issue based on my VIN#. I know what the car is doing and it has been described on this forum. But instead of moving to fix it the Q7 is parked at the dealer waiting for them to reproduce this problem. I am a little frustrated because the car may have to sit for few days before it reproduces the problem and then they will probably tell me the part has to be ordered. It seems more efficent to order the parts while the Q7 sits around. Is there a way to get them to start fixing it instead of waiting around for the waring light to come back on? Does anybody have a name of some one at Audi who is familar with this specific? Perhaps a prior case number describing this problem they could look up?
Thank you
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Oil pressure warning light, rough idle and Audi of America

I know you don't want to hear this at this juncture; Lemon Law. You want Audi to fix this problem and get back to enjoying your Q7. Work with your dealer. Being an ******* will get you nowhere. If you have a quality dealer, they will jump through hoops to make you happy. If you come off short and nasty, they'll find reasons not to. If you're not getting satisfaction, and you're still experiencing this problem, contactact your Audi area rep. Have him inspect the car. Find out the requirements for Lemon law in your state and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING; every sevice visit, every phone call. I had an Allroad they could not fix. When I whispered 'lemon law' to the area rep, Audi bought back the Allroad within a week. Of couse my issue was a legitimate safety concern (extreme pulling to the left), so they didn't drag their feet. I know this might be jumping the gun, and you probably love your Q7, but at some point you'll need to take action if you don't get satisfaction. Keep records of everything, and remember that the lemon law is like a timer; you only have so much time to take action...

Bo.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CEL coming on? How long have you got the car? Mileage?

Also I dont think stopping and starting your engine several times is helping.
Just let it idle without revving the engine until the rattling stops (no load on engine).
Each time you stop the engine you let what little oil is being picked up return to the sump. The oil system is trying to purge air.

Seems your car may have a sleep disorder;-)

PS...I have a spread sheet noting all reports from here if it is any use to you.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Do a search on this forum for "3.6 oil pressure"

I already posted my story regarding this. In the end, I was very satisfied with Audi Customer care and the dealer who fixed the car. However, the first dealer we called basically blew us off. If you're not happy with the dealer, try another one.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Luckily my dealer just immediately ordered the parts and fixed it...

they didn't question it at all and basically wanted it to be a closed issue. I didn't need to have AoA get involved. Try taking it to another dealer since these clowns obviously suck.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure warning light, rough idle and Audi of America

Thank you for all of your replies. The dealer called me this morning and said they found the "TSB" regarding this problem. They ordered the parts and will do the repair when they get in. They lent us an A4 with less than 1,800 miles to use in the mean time. The service folks were overall very decent. I was just frustrated at first that they did not seem to be aware of this problem and wanted to replicate it first before ordering the parts. But now everything is on track. I would have not known about this without this forum. I was able to give them copies of your prior threads on this problem so again, thanks to all of you.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: CEL coming on? How long have you got the car? Mileage?

Justforfun, What you wrote about the oil makes sense but I did read that cycling the ignition was correct. Maybe the car does have a sleep disorder.
Ironically, I happen to be a sleep medicine physician.

Can I please get that spread sheet?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Perhaps it prevents shutting down in some SAFE mode...

"ysleep" was a clue.. just emailed you that spreadsheet.

All info was derived from posts here on AW.
Hope it helps.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM

I think of it more as an advertisment than as a clue. Sleep is beautiful
Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oil pressure warning light, rough idle engine being seized

Please note i had all my engine removed oil pump removed and cylinder head removed also .
Under the cylinder head there is a oil retention valve wich impeach the oil to come down from the upper part of engine.
If not ok when you start the engine it runs dry for 3/5 seconds until the oil pump pumps again the oil.
Sent a e mail to me i will explain what audi did to my car its ok now its true that the first 3.6 valves are not reliable and they do not believe. you are ging to loose your engine completly ! jorge.da.cruz@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Oil pressure warning light, rough idle and Audi of America