Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Passenger side wiper arm broke completely off

Old 05-14-2019, 03:23 AM
08' Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought I’d chime in here since this also happened to me. Seems like Audi constructed a very poor designed passenger wiper arm. The metal is just too thin and with the size of the arm they just get torqued hard over time and eventually snap.

One important ant thing to mention that I haven’t seen here is that when replacing your wipers, or the wiper arm, you MUST put your wipers in “service position”. In my MMI interface under the CAR menu there is a selection for “Wiper Service Position”. You need to enter this menu when replacing your blades or replacing the arms. This isn’t just for access assistance to reach the wiper arm across the giant hood, but it’s to protect the wiper actuator assembly below the windshield cowl. If you pull on the wiper arms or work on them without being in the service position you run the risk of bending or breaking components inside the actuator assembly or screwing up the park position of your wipers.
Another interesting feature to note: Not all Q7’s have this but certain trim lines actually park the wipers in a higher position when the outside ambient temperature is at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Mine does this as well as all of the S-Line models. This is to assist with the wipers not freezing to the windshield in a low parked position. If the wiper is hard frozen to the windshield and the actuator attempts to move it can tweak or break components inside the actuator, thus the freeze protection system was added to some Q7 models.

Just thought I’d throw out those little tidbits as I also dealt with having to replace my passenger wiper arm.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH SNAP

Gez, I thought I was alone on this random but note not so random occurrence.

My Mrs rings me in hysterics saying the wiper arm just snapped off in thin air! The car wasn't even moving???

Now, after reading all these similar posts, I see this is common with the Audi Q7.

Tried taking the duel arm off but I can't get the sound side off. I've used wd40, tapped it with a rubber mallet etc...can't get it off!

After reading all the issues that ppl have had with aftermarket ones, I'm going to a wreckers to get a geniuine one. Will look at how i could reinforce it too before i put it on... if i can get the old one off F#*!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EzzHammer
Gez, I thought I was alone on this random but note not so random occurrence.

My Mrs rings me in hysterics saying the wiper arm just snapped off in thin air! The car wasn't even moving???

Now, after reading all these similar posts, I see this is common with the Audi Q7.

Tried taking the duel arm off but I can't get the sound side off. I've used wd40, tapped it with a rubber mallet etc...can't get it off!

After reading all the issues that ppl have had with aftermarket ones, I'm going to a wreckers to get a geniuine one. Will look at how i could reinforce it too before i put it on... if i can get the old one off F#*!
Yah it was tough. Trying to remember how I got mine off.

Now I remember. I have clamps which I use to compress calipers after changing brakes. I attached it and used it as a kind of puller.

This would have been the correct tool but I dont own one:

https://zenid10.files.wordpress.com/...hub-puller.png

I actually bought a new aftermarket wiper off ebay. I considered getting a used one off a junked car but apparently the genuine ones are the ones with the problem.

Here is the specific one I bought. Works perfectly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163473671564

Its even cheaper now, lol

I paid $38

Last edited by BenDover; 06-12-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine went yesterday.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Wiper Blade Issue Should Be A Recall

Hello Audi World,

I am the owner of a 2010 Q7 and had the exact same wiper blade passenger side breaking issue.
There have been countless postings on broken wiper blades, however, Audi will not issue a recall on their own merit.
It is clearly a defect that should be fixed before it causes an accident.

I suppose Audi's cost-benefit analysis did not add up to issue a recall.

The remedy would be for the NHTSA to see more complaints, do more investigations, and issue the recall.
It takes about 5 minutes to go to their website at
https://www.nhtsa.gov/ and click 'Report a Problem', and fill out the form.

The NHTSA website lists the complaints and investigations they are conducting at:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2010/A...4%252520DR/AWD

July 8, 2019 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11230008
Components: VISIBILITY/WIPERNHTSA ID Number: 11230008

Incident Date July 8, 2019

Consumer Location NEW CARROLLTON, MD

Vehicle Identification Number WA1MYAFE9AD****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

VEHICLE WAS STATIONERY IN HEAVY RAIN. TURN WINDSHIELD WIPERS ON AND WITHIN A FEW SECONDS PASSENGER SIDE WIPER ARM BROKE IN HALF.

1 Affected Product

April 21, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10979868
Components: VISIBILITY/WIPERNHTSA ID Number: 10979868

Incident Date April 21, 2017

Consumer Location WEST NEWTON, MA

Vehicle Identification Number WA1CYAFE8AD****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

DRIVING ON RT 93 SOUTHBOUND IN MA DURING A HEAVY RAINSTORM THE PASSENGER SIDE WIPER ARM SNAPPED OFF COMPLETELY AT THE BASE. I WAS ABLE TO CONTINUE DRIVING AFTER THE INITIAL SHCCK OF THE ARM BREAKING OFF.

1 Affected Product

I encourage anyone who experienced this to file a complaint on the NHTSA website so the recall will be issued, safety will take priority, and you will be reimbursed for your expenses.

-AudiQ7Guy
Old 12-18-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

lol if you think thats going to have any impact.. Already went through this with something a bit more serious and widespread than a silly wiper blade one a single model and got absolutely nowhere: https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fed...p-failure.html
Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by EzzHammer

Did you get it off? i just pulled the screws off but the right side is stuck. any tips?

Old 01-10-2020, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Steve Dare
Did you get it off? I just pulled the screws off but the right side is stuck. any tips?
It happened to me 3 times! Chinese replacement also broke. To get it of just use Channellock pliers without taking the bolt complettly out. I will post a picture later.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Dare
Did you get it off? i just pulled the screws off but the right side is stuck. any tips?
You’ll need one one of these. Most auto parts stores will have one.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Winds...RoC-HcQAvD_BwE
Old 09-11-2020, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me last night. I read these threads a few weeks ago bc the wiper wouldn’t wipe a small portion of the window. Then, as I’m driving in heavy rain at night in the highway BAM - the thing snapped off with a loud bang, hit the windshield, and up and over the roof it went. Scared the **** out of me and the wife. God only knows about the car behind us. I started laughing after that remembering this thread. Freakin $145 now at Audi to replace.
The following 2 users liked this post by archaus:
alxcar (09-11-2020), StFrancis (09-14-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger side wiper arm broke completely off