Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Planning to buy a used Q7 asap

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to buy a used Q7 asap

Wifey was involved in a car accident today while on a school run (everyone is fine thank god). It was pretty bad and I am pretty sure the car is a total write off. Even if it wasn't Im not getting back in there. It was a Honda CR-V 2008. Anyway, I hope I dont see that car again after what I saw today. he pictures I took are pretty horrific.

I have been thinking about Q7s for a while now and I think this just might be my opportunity to get one. I have been looking at the prices and will probably go for 2006-2007 models as thats the most I can afford at this time.

I have owned an Audi A3 before and thats the extent of my experience with Audi. It wasnt the best expereince I must add, but that was from known issues with A3s which I have come to know about over the years. This car obviously of a different league altogether so I'd really like to know what I am getting into.

I have a few questions that I hope you knowledgeable existing owners may shed some light on:

1. What should I look out for when looking at a 2006-2007 model car.
2. Is the s-line really worth the extra money?
3. What are known problems of this car? (exhaust, water pump, electrics, dashboard controls, security system, transmission, timing belt etc etc)
4. How much is a yearly service by Audi?
5. Is the sat nav updates easy to get hold of?
6. What hacks have people been able to do on this car? (internal LED light mods, Sat nav updates etc)
7. How much should I be paying for a car around 70k on the clock?
8. What sort of MPG should I expect in urban driving?
9. Is it a smart purchase being this old or should I look for something different?

Much appreciated and I hope to get quick responses because I really need to pick one up as soon as the insurance company settles, which I am hoping will happen within a couple of days.

Many thanks.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

If you are in the US, no 2006's. 4.2L, 350hp V8 or 3.6L, 280hp VR6.

Both of my 2007's are non-S-Line. I don't miss it. The 4.2 has the Adaptive suspension, which is great. The 3.6 is on the standard steel spring suspension, and with factory original 20" wheels and Firestone tires, the ride was terrible. I bought a set of factory 18" wheels and put a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde's on them (same tire on the 4.2, just in a 19" size)

3. What are known problems of this car? (exhaust, water pump, electrics, dashboard controls, security system, transmission, timing belt etc etc)
Sun roof drains, AC condensate drain, plenum box drains - they all plug up in various ways. Keep them cleaned out. Neither engine has a timing belt, they are both chain engines. Sliders do wear out though. Still have to do a water pump/thermostat service. Still have to do a typical transmission service.

No clue.

Haven't updated the 4.2 yet, don't know.

6. What hacks have people been able to do on this car? (internal LED light mods, Sat nav updates etc)
I paid 20k for one with 83k on it, and 17k for the other with 56k on it. Price will depend on the options and how long it's been for sale. The 56k car is a Premium, but has many fewer options than the other Premium model.

4.2 - not good, mid-teens. Some days it doesn't even get driven. V8 sounds fabulous, however, and it tows ~6800lbs with the factory tow package (one of the reasons why I bought this one).
3.6 - better, upper teens. My daily commute is only around 5 miles now (used to be 40 miles), and I typically get at least 400 miles on a tank. We take this one on trips, from OH to VA and back I averaged just barely under 22mpg.

9. Is it a smart purchase being this old or should I look for something different?
Depends on where you can get it worked on, and how well maintained it was prior to you purchasing the car.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, if I were you, I'd look at something else. I just sold my 2009 Q7 Sline yesterday (thank god) and with the amount of issues I had during ownership, luckily all covered under CPO, I wish I would have waited another 1-2 yrs for a 2010-2011 CPO. I suffered from all the common known issues all the pre-2010 models dealt with.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
To be honest, if I were you, I'd look at something else. I just sold my 2009 Q7 Sline yesterday (thank god) and with the amount of issues I had during ownership, luckily all covered under CPO, I wish I would have waited another 1-2 yrs for a 2010-2011 CPO. I suffered from all the common known issues all the pre-2010 models dealt with.
What are you purchasing now?
Old 09-30-2015, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redracer007
What are you purchasing now?
Dang, I knew someone would ask....wife wanted a Honda Odyssey. Bought a new one 3 weeks ago. It's nice...but it's a Honda...and it's a MINIVAN.

Still have the Q5. My new daily driver...thank god.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am guessing that you are on the best side of the Atlantic and therefore a V6 Tdi is an option.
1. Check air suspension raises and lowers correctly. Check for engine service issues. The BUG engine has some known faults with the inlet manifold and crank bearings.
2. Subjective but I think yes.
3. You bare looking at 8 to 9 year old expensive cars to maintain so there will be lots of different things to look at like any used car.
4. Don't use a main dealer.
5. Buy a DVD on Ebay
7. Difficult to say because you are unlikely to find an 06/07 car with that mileage
8. TDi will give around 25mpg or 23 for the 4.2tdi
9. Who knows and it depends if you find a good one and if you are able to do some work yourself.

I would say buy a Touareg - same car in many ways and my wife loved hers and still regrets selling it.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2008 3.6 Premium.

--> Paid $24.5K +ttl in Sep 2013. It only had 45K miles on it.

--> Don't have it and don't miss it

--> pano roof leaked ($1400, split w/ dealership), kids split water on MMI ($1400), A/C pump ($750) went out, fuel pump leaked (can't remember if it was that--covered by dealership, $1000+ otherwise), had tail lights go out (new harness + labor is $300). I got Audi USA/dealership to pay for at least 1/2 the repairs. Just called them up every time to complain.

--> Audi Care Plus is $1100 or so for the 55, 66, and 75. 55 alone is like $700.

--> Don't really use since iPhone is more up to date (if I use GPS at all).

--> Don't have time to hack it

--> 06/07? Probably 15-20K?

--> We can a steady 18-20mpg

Probably something different. The first few years had their quirks.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
Dang, I knew someone would ask....wife wanted a Honda Odyssey. Bought a new one 3 weeks ago. It's nice...but it's a Honda...and it's a MINIVAN.

Still have the Q5. My new daily driver...thank god.
Sorry to have brought it up. The van is a practical purchase (if that helps)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default my 2012 Q7 is great

I bought it a little over a year ago as a CPO car with extended warranty and it has caused me no grief at all. It is a very good REASONABLE road off vehicle and is very stable on asphalt. Mine is a prestige S line and personally I like all the extra buzzers and whistles it came with. It has all the options packages offered and after a bit of a learning curve they are all great.
If you can swing it I would look for a newer one as they have better characteristics that the first couple of years. Also the dealers are (in my area anyway) blowing out the new ones with some great deals and also the lightly used CPO cars are great buys.
good luck in your choice

Last edited by flynavy; 10-05-2015 at 11:48 AM.