Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

poor range on remote... advice please!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default poor range on remote... advice please!!!

Hello all,
Since the first day, my Q7 remote range is very poor, we practically have to stand by the driver door to lock or unlock the doors. Sometimes, we could use it from far away. Took it to the dealer and they want to pull the whole headliner to get to the antenna which we're not sure if we want my car to be torn down.
Question 1: Did anyone get this done, and it did improve the range significantly and repeatedly (consistently). We don't want them to open it up, and nothing will come out of it.
Question 2: Program Vag-Com to close/open windows/sunroof with remote, do we have to press and hold the remote to open/close the windows or just 1 touch from the remote to close/open all windows.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the dealer already program a new key to see if that fixes it? Does this happen with multiple keys or just one? I guess the antenna location could make a difference but the first thing I would rule out would be the key(s) before taking down the headliner. I can lock/unlock mine from considerable distance compared to other cars I've owned. Likewise with my wife's A4 - no issues there.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Mine works from hundreds of feet away. BTW remote range is also affected by fob battery. Some were low from new! So first step is change the battery.

Yes hold down fob button. after short delay all up/down kicks in (once programmed). They all stop on button release so you can crack em all open or go the whole hog. Dunno about US but EU cars you can isolate any single window or sunroof from taking part.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
+1 Mine works from hundreds of feet away. BTW remote range is also affected by fob battery. Some were low from new! So first step is change the battery.

Yes hold down fob button. after short delay all up/down kicks in (once programmed). They all stop on button release so you can crack em all open or go the whole hog. Dunno about US but EU cars you can isolate any single window or sunroof from taking part.
Good point on changing the battery first. For US cars there are instructions in the owners manual, or at least there are in my copy.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies, yes, they did change the battery and it still has poor range, that's when they recommended to tear down the headliner. I hate to have my all original car molested. How do you reprogram the remotes and change the batteries? I don't trust the dealer, they may say they change the batteries and still need to remove the headliner. I like to do it myself to see if they actually don't work.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My batteries were both low on delivery too.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Hello all,
Thanks for the replies, yes, they did change the battery and it still has poor range, that's when they recommended to tear down the headliner. I hate to have my all original car molested. How do you reprogram the remotes and change the batteries? I don't trust the dealer, they may say they change the batteries and still need to remove the headliner. I like to do it myself to see if they actually don't work.

Thanks,

Louis
I have had many Audi/VW's in my life. I tend to agree with the dealer. The four Audi's that I have had, all had a very long range to open the doors and trunk using the key fobs. There was one 2005 Toureag that I could never get the remote to work and after the dealer kept the car for about six weeks for another problem, never could get the remote to work. Even a new battery, the remote worked for a very short period of time. After a while, I just gave up and used the remote from a very short distance. I just thought it was my car even though was green was a real lemon.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

So then my recommendation is still to have the dealer program a new key first to rule out the key itself before tearing into your car. It's still not clear from your posts how many keys are in play here - but maybe there could be multiple bad keys that came with the car. Maybe it's not the key after all but it should be fairly quick and easy for them to just program a couple new keys to see if that fixes it and I can't think of any reason not to try that first. If a new key doesn't fix things then probably they will have to start looking at the car itself.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Hello all,

Thanks,

Louis
Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Programming the keys: is this the dealer only thingy?
Since the remotes do transmit the car does receive, I don't know how many times the dealer need to reprogram to make them better.
I hate to go to the dealers, making appointments, waiting, waiting for rides... but it looks like I have to take both of the remotes for them to change batteries and reprogram them one last time.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same problem

I just took delivery of my 2011 S4 and I am experiencing the same (very) poor remote range.
I have to stand very near of my car in order to lock /unlock it (like within 2 feet!!!).
I changed the batteries with no improvement.

Anyone has a clue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: poor range on remote... advice please!!!