Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 2011 tail lights retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick one for you mate - how did you attach the LED strip to the plastic grille?
If glue, what type please?

Also, did you mount them facing forward, or facing up into the turn-signal housing?

Cheers
Tim
Old 09-25-2011, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Tim,
These leds came with mounting clips, installed facing forward.

I have now ordered the new 2011 Tri-xenon headlights with LED DRLs build in and the LED indicators which I should get in the next couple of weeks, I'll post the photos ones I have installed them, I also ordered the AMI and Bluetooth modules for the Q.

Originally Posted by TimU
Quick one for you mate - how did you attach the LED strip to the plastic grille?
If glue, what type please?

Also, did you mount them facing forward, or facing up into the turn-signal housing?

Cheers
Tim
Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks.
I ended up getting the DealExtreme ones. They are encased in resin/platic and are easily bent into shape with a heat gun.

Mine didn't come with mounting clips, so I attached the LED strip to the grille with double-sided tape. It seems sturdy enough.
I installed the lights facing forward, immediately underneath the parker/indicator housing.

The width of the strip was very slightly too thick to fit cleanly underneath the indicator housing, so shaved the LED strip width down with a sanding disc and an angle grinder. I only needed to take 2-3mm off the width for it to fit perfectly.

The only thing that annoys me about the install is that the plastic LED strips are white. In hind-sight, I would have gotten black ones if given the choice.
I guess can always "dodgy it up" and colour the white in with a marker pen ;-)

Overall, a fantastic mod.
The lights are wired to the parking lights. With the headlight switch in "Auto" mode, they come on only when the main-beams are lit.

Next up is to try and use VCDS/VAG-COM to make the parking lights come on with the DRLs and also with the "follow-me-home" Fog Lights.
Not sure if this is even programmable, but I'll take a crack

Tim
Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW, the link in XLR8IT's post is dead. Updated link to his LED Strip lights here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-Rigid-...-/250873694417
Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Tim
I have replaced the headlights with the LED type with AFS, Just waiting for the new LED indicators to arrive from Germany and the facelift is complete.
Attached Images   

Last edited by xlr8it; 10-25-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would it be possible if you could explain how you hook up the wiring ? I have the new LED light and my Q7 currently has the non-xenon lights.....
someone told me I needed to purchase these cable adaptors..
http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=790

but did you need to splice any wires or recode any programs ??? Thanks for your help with this matter.....
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

The things that need to be modified are:

The headlight mounts have to be replaced , the new type are a different shape.

Power Module J519 has to be modified (2 x wire bridges have to be soldered inside, 4 pins) and the the module has to be re-coded to accept LED DRLs and get rid of error messages.

The wiring inside the headlight has to be modified as the pin configuration is slightly different for the DRLs and the old side light wires have to be moved and connected to the headlight so the DRLs dim when the headlights are on and so there are no bulb out messages on the dash.

Then the lights have to be coded and adjusted to module 55 (xenon range) to memorize the new settings.

This is for upgrade from xenon to xenon, not sure what is required to go from halogen to xenons.

Originally Posted by coupegt87
Would it be possible if you could explain how you hook up the wiring ? I have the new LED light and my Q7 currently has the non-xenon lights.....
someone told me I needed to purchase these cable adaptors..
http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=790

but did you need to splice any wires or recode any programs ??? Thanks for your help with this matter.....
Old 10-26-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8it
Thanks Tim
I have replaced the headlights with the LED type with AFS, Just waiting for the new LED indicators to arrive from Germany and the facelift is complete.
Guessing you needed to replace the ballast, bulb, etc when you put in the new 2010+ lights?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8it
Hi Tim,
These leds came with mounting clips, installed facing forward.

I have now ordered the new 2011 Tri-xenon headlights with LED DRLs build in and the LED indicators which I should get in the next couple of weeks, I'll post the photos ones I have installed them, I also ordered the AMI and Bluetooth modules for the Q.
Did you order from a dealer or go through one of the retrofit guys over in Germany?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are correct, new bulbs and ballasts (D3s)

Some stuff I got of Ebay but most of the goodies I get from audiupgrades he is an eBay seller in Queensland, I do my own installs and some for him as well for the Sydney customers.

Originally Posted by gregtay
Did you order from a dealer or go through one of the retrofit guys over in Germany?

Quick Reply: Q7 2011 tail lights retrofit