Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 2012 shakes when shifting gear from P to R

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 2012 shakes when shifting gear from P to R

2012 Q7 Premium Plus 3.0T with less than 1000 miles on it.

Every morning, if shift the gear from P to R right after I start engine, the car shakes vigorously.

1. The problem only happens after has been parking there for a few hours, e.g. overnight.

2. The problem oily happens if I shift the gear within 20 seconds after I started engine. If I wait for 30 seconds, I can see the IDLE speed drops from around 1300 RPM to 8RPM, then I won't see the problem when shifting gear from P to R.

I have brought the car to two different dealers, but neither of them could find the root cause of the problem. They told me there was no error code stored, and it everything complies with the specification based on their testing.

One dealer advised me to just wait for 30 seconds after starting engine and before driving the car. The other dealer said I should wait to see whether the problem is still there after 2 or 3 thousand more miles.

I have never seen such a problem on the BMW 335i and Acura MDX that I drove before, and I don't think this should be expected on Q7 either.

I will appreciate if anyone here has any idea on this.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

No Idea but experience the same issue and have since new...now at 30k miles...Dealer could not find cause or duplicate as it is intermittent.

Keep us posted if you find the issue.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here with my 2011 Q7 3.0 TFSI. It just started doing that after I reached 9k miles.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this exp. also, a mechanic told me that if u wait a little longer after the start of engine, it will help the transmission oil circulate....

I also had this issue on my Pilot... if I wait 30 seconds its much easier to shift from P to R or D.....
Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

when a vehicle sits for a few hours, the hot oil in the engine and in the transmission is no longer circulated when the engine is off. It then drains to the bottom of the engine and cools off, becoming more thick.

when you start up the engine after a few hours of sitting, you must wait for the vehicle to warm up and for the oil to circulate all throughout the engine and transmission. If the oil is not fully circulated, the mechanical components that require oil to operate smoothly will be jerky, rough or cause noise or vibration. It will happen to any car at any period of time. Especially if your vehicle is very new. You must allow the engine components to adjust to each other over a 5000 km period. Your Q7 is not broken, and is far more superior than an Acura...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi-driver1126
when a vehicle sits for a few hours, the hot oil in the engine and in the transmission is no longer circulated when the engine is off. It then drains to the bottom of the engine and cools off, becoming more thick.

when you start up the engine after a few hours of sitting, you must wait for the vehicle to warm up and for the oil to circulate all throughout the engine and transmission. If the oil is not fully circulated, the mechanical components that require oil to operate smoothly will be jerky, rough or cause noise or vibration. It will happen to any car at any period of time. Especially if your vehicle is very new. You must allow the engine components to adjust to each other over a 5000 km period. Your Q7 is not broken, and is far more superior than an Acura...
"It will happen to any car at any period of time. Especially if your vehicle is very new."
Don't buy this at all. Talked with a few friends. BMW X5 owner, 25k miles, never seen such an issue; Lexus GX 460 owner, 40k miles, never seen such an issue; Benz GL 450 owner, 20k miles, never seen such an issue. Is Audi Q7 so superior ...????

Also, please see those comments in previous replies:

- "No Idea but experience the same issue and have since new...now at 30k miles...Dealer could not find cause or duplicate as it is intermittent."

- "Same here with my 2011 Q7 3.0 TFSI. It just started doing that after I reached 9k miles."

- "I have never seen such a problem on the BMW 335i and Acura MDX that I drove before, and I don't think this should be expected on Q7 either."
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My brand new Q7 is also showing the same trend after 2000miles. Have not really noticed it until this morning TBH. I attributed it to the fact that I do not use tha handbrake and just leave it in P. My LR has the same tendency if I do not use the handbrake, especially if left in P on a slight downhill. Thought nothing of it because of my habit.

I will keep a lookoput for this though. I do not suffer from shuddering and all nasties but a slight judder if I change into D.

Anyway the way I see it, I have 8 gears, so plenty spare...

Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started letting it warm up, so i'm waiting (around 30-45 sec) until the RPM drops to 7500 and it didn't happen since.

Can you guys try it out and confirm that your cars symptom is gone?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 Q7 Shifting gear shaking from P to R

Hi there,

I have a 2012 Q7 3.0 TFSI with a milage of 9000.
The same problem do excist with me from the day i picked the car from the dealer a year ago.
It has nothing to do with the RPM,The only way to avoid the shaking is hitting the brake throttle to the end in order to avoid shaking.
I've reported the above to our local dealer and they have just updated the software of the transmission and claim that no Faults.

My mega question to my dear Q7 owners (Specially to those with the 8 G-tronic)....Do you feel any hesitation in changing gear specially from D1 to D4 either upward or downward ?

I feel that the Gearbox is moving (Shaking) from it's place everytime the car changing gears.

Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zhang9211
2012 Q7 Premium Plus 3.0T with less than 1000 miles on it.

Every morning, if shift the gear from P to R right after I start engine, the car shakes vigorously.

1. The problem only happens after has been parking there for a few hours, e.g. overnight.

2. The problem oily happens if I shift the gear within 20 seconds after I started engine. If I wait for 30 seconds, I can see the IDLE speed drops from around 1300 RPM to 8RPM, then I won't see the problem when shifting gear from P to R.

I have brought the car to two different dealers, but neither of them could find the root cause of the problem. They told me there was no error code stored, and it everything complies with the specification based on their testing.

One dealer advised me to just wait for 30 seconds after starting engine and before driving the car. The other dealer said I should wait to see whether the problem is still there after 2 or 3 thousand more miles.

I have never seen such a problem on the BMW 335i and Acura MDX that I drove before, and I don't think this should be expected on Q7 either.

I will appreciate if anyone here has any idea on this.
I also have a Q 7 Tdi 3.0 from new 2013
Had the previous Q7 with 6 speed no problem but this 8 speed has done it from brand new. Left over night move selector from P to R it gives just a little shake. Just been to dealer today to get it checked. Come back all O. K so I hope all will be O. K. But having one before that never had this shake just worries me a little.
It only does when cold and left over night or longer but have never noticed it when shifting to D only R.
We shall see but it is now LOGGED with dealer as a possible problem.

Quick Reply: Q7 2012 shakes when shifting gear from P to R