Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 4.2TDI offroad

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 4.2TDI offroad

I am just about to take delivery of 4.2TDI sline. Replaces my aging Landcruiser. First Audi for me and a little worried about it offroad.

Any tips, tricks or mods that should be considered before heading into the scrub. Note that I never do any really serious offroad stuff, just more dirt roads and tracks and so forth.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh, another thought, any suggestions re tyres, good all round tyres that will handle the black stuff as well as the unpaved. Note that they will not see snow or ice.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 12-13-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: added an o
Old 12-13-2009, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Q7 4.2TDI offroad

Originally Posted by yabba2076
Oh, another thought, any suggestions re tyres, god all round tyres that will handle the black stuff as well as the unpaved. Note that they will not see snow or ice.
Can you Post some Pic's
Is the off road Package installed.

I'm BCD-1 with a Q5 Off Road Styling Package. The Only one in
Montreal.
Can you post some pic's of your Q7 4.2 TDI

I post in the Q5 Discussion

BCD-1

I'll post a few of my Q5 Off Road
Attached Images     
Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Q7 offroad Pic

I am just about to take delivery of 4.2TDI sline. Replaces my aging Landcruiser. First Audi for me and a little worried about it offroad.

Any tips, tricks or mods that should be considered before heading into the scrub. Note that I never do any really serious offroad stuff, just more dirt roads and tracks and so forth.
Thanks
I just found this Great Pic last night

Enjoy !

BCD-1
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have a 3.0 TDI Q7 and we use it to get around our farm - like you not serious off road acrobatics, but mud, standing water, fields and deep-rutted tracks and no-road rocky scrub land.

In these conditions the Q7 performs admirably. We put some Hankook Ventus tyres on her (replacing Goodyear Eagle F1, which no one expects to be any good offroad but which also wore incredibly quickly on tarmac). These tyres are adequate and have complaints.

Just stay away from soft deep mud/soil - we bottomed her out once trying to get across a waterlogged ploughed field and need to use one of the big 4WD Valtra tractors to pulll her out.

Gave fun =]
Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SteelWarHorse3.0TDi
We have a 3.0 TDI Q7 and we use it to get around our farm - like you not serious off road acrobatics, but mud, standing water, fields and deep-rutted tracks and no-road rocky scrub land.

In these conditions the Q7 performs admirably. We put some Hankook Ventus tyres on her (replacing Goodyear Eagle F1, which no one expects to be any good offroad but which also wore incredibly quickly on tarmac). These tyres are adequate and have complaints.

Just stay away from soft deep mud/soil - we bottomed her out once trying to get across a waterlogged ploughed field and need to use one of the big 4WD Valtra tractors to pulll her out.

Gave fun =]

Can you Post some Pic's ?

That would be Great

BCD-1
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, my 3.0 TDI is a asphalt queen and will stay that way. Hell it has only seen rain once in 7 months now. If it's raining I drive my truck.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Railflyer, Steelwarhorse (I like that) and BCD-1,
Thanks for the response.

BCD-1, I get delivery next week and will post some pics.

SWH - I am a bit of a scrub turkey on weekends and if not at the kids sporting events, then I am fishing or shooting, so I spend a reasonable amount of time off the black stuff. However all of the tracks I am on are just tracks, no serious 4WD adventures (been there done that), just dirt tracks. Thanks for the tyre info re Hanbook, been looking at the Coopers HT 275/45 R20 (wow these are the lowest profile I have ever had on a 4wd - bit scary), Your farm comments make me feel better. That is just about what I get up to.

Railflyer - asphalt queen a 3.0TDI?? Are you sure it is not pining for some dirt(y) action!!!

Hooroo
James
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Railflyer, Steelwarhorse (I like that) and BCD-1,
Thanks for the response.

BCD-1, I get delivery next week and will post some pics.

SWH - I am a bit of a scrub turkey on weekends and if not at the kids sporting events, then I am fishing or shooting, so I spend a reasonable amount of time off the black stuff. However all of the tracks I am on are just tracks, no serious 4WD adventures (been there done that), just dirt tracks. Thanks for the tyre info re Hanbook, been looking at the Coopers HT 275/45 R20 (wow these are the lowest profile I have ever had on a 4wd - bit scary), Your farm comments make me feel better. That is just about what I get up to.

Railflyer - asphalt queen a 3.0TDI?? Are you sure it is not pining for some dirt(y) action!!!

Hooroo
James
Looking Forward to the Picks !
BCD-1
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hell, my 4 wheel drive GMC one ton truck doesn't see much off road except pulling out a stuck tractor or backing my 40 foot 5th wheel trailer on wet grass.

In fact, you know what the difference between a rental car and my 4x4 truck is? I wont take my truck off road!

My Q7 will stay on road. The black paint isn't too off road friendly.

Quick Reply: Q7 4.2TDI offroad