Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 "Alternator fault- battery not charging"

Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 "Alternator fault- battery not charging"

Hi guys,
I'm a new member to the forum, and I would appreciate any insights on this issue.

We bought a used 2009 Q7 (3.6L) a few months ago, and it ran fine for all this time.
About a month ago, a little metal piece fell inside one of the cig lighter sockets and caused a bit of a spark as I was driving.
I turned the car off, and turned it back on, and everything seemed to be fine, so I continued.

About a couple of weeks ago the dash lights started flickering, and they would go very low.
Thinking the battery was going bad I would reduce power consumption by lowering all electrical things (A/C, Radio, Lights etc.).
Went to NAPA, to test the battery and they said that the battery was ok, but it needed charging.

Fast forward yesterday when the "Alternator fault- battery not charging" and the battery not charging sign came on.
I was on the road, and after a while it said "ESP is Off," then the brake lights failed, and finally it gave me a warning that there was some malfunction,
and the car came to a stop (in the middle of driving). I couldn't accelerate, or move the steering wheel much (got heavy).

Had the wife come and jump me, we charged the battery enough to bring it home, plugged it to a trickle charger and left it to charge for the night.
Today the battery showed as "Charged," and the car started fine, but the alternator warning was still there, and the brake lights still failed.
Didn't dare to drive it around, but I did make an appt at Audi on Monday (3 days from now), for a battery replacement.

I read about new alternators not being able to fix this, accessory belts, idler pulleys, corroded battery ends, cable splice, and voltage regulators, and more all over the net, but could not figure much out.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, (alternator, or battery, or smth else) or could point me in the right direction?
Our Audi dealer is about 20 miles away. Could I make it there? Would it be ok to drive it there if it doesn't stop again?

Any help is appreciated, hope I can pay it forward.
Thanks,
Albert
Old 02-01-2019, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

How new is your battery? Your alternator could be out. Mine gave up the ghost at 82k miles, taking the alternator pulley and serpentine belt with it!
Old 02-02-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey there, thanks for the reply.
I honestly don't know. Bought this car used a few months ago. It's been especially cold up here in Maine last few weeks (-3F today), so I'm thinking that could have smth to do with it going bad sooner. But it might be cuz of the spark that was caused in the cig lighter socket (as mentioned above). Ill take it to the dealer on Monday, and will keep you posted.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you fix the problem? What was it?
Old 04-26-2021, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Charging problems

Sorry to revive an old thread, I wasn't sure how to start a new one!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 2007 Audi Q7. I have been fighting charging issues for the past week.

I have replaced the alternator, is I was getting 12v with engine running on the battery post ls under the hood, also replaced the battery at the same time as it tested bad. Since installing both of these I've noticed the car charges intermittently. Sometimes it will charge at 14v an other times at 12v, regularly goes flat and has to be jump started. I've also noticed the wire that runs from the passenger side (right hand drive) battery post under hood and I believe that runs to the starter motor on drivers side? This wire is getting hot to the touch? I'm guessing this wire will be my problem? Thanks for any input and advice.
​​​​​​Cheers
Old 05-21-2021, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bertialive
Hi guys,
I'm a new member to the forum, and I would appreciate any insights on this issue.

We bought a used 2009 Q7 (3.6L) a few months ago, and it ran fine for all this time.
About a month ago, a little metal piece fell inside one of the cig lighter sockets and caused a bit of a spark as I was driving.
I turned the car off, and turned it back on, and everything seemed to be fine, so I continued.

About a couple of weeks ago the dash lights started flickering, and they would go very low.
Thinking the battery was going bad I would reduce power consumption by lowering all electrical things (A/C, Radio, Lights etc.).
Went to NAPA, to test the battery and they said that the battery was ok, but it needed charging.

Fast forward yesterday when the "Alternator fault- battery not charging" and the battery not charging sign came on.
I was on the road, and after a while it said "ESP is Off," then the brake lights failed, and finally it gave me a warning that there was some malfunction,
and the car came to a stop (in the middle of driving). I couldn't accelerate, or move the steering wheel much (got heavy).

Had the wife come and jump me, we charged the battery enough to bring it home, plugged it to a trickle charger and left it to charge for the night.
Today the battery showed as "Charged," and the car started fine, but the alternator warning was still there, and the brake lights still failed.
Didn't dare to drive it around, but I did make an appt at Audi on Monday (3 days from now), for a battery replacement.

I read about new alternators not being able to fix this, accessory belts, idler pulleys, corroded battery ends, cable splice, and voltage regulators, and more all over the net, but could not figure much out.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, (alternator, or battery, or smth else) or could point me in the right direction?
Our Audi dealer is about 20 miles away. Could I make it there? Would it be ok to drive it there if it doesn't stop again?

Any help is appreciated, hope I can pay it forward.
Thanks,
Albert
so what ever came of the situation? I'm having same issue now