Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Old 08-09-2016, 10:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Q7 battery replacement

Old 08-01-2014, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snopyro
NOTE to everyone changing their batteries without reprogramming the computer's ECU- you will burn out your new battery. (Happened to my friend.)

Yes, you can place jumper cables on the terminals to save any Radio presets while you change the battery.

Make sure you note the model, serial number of the new replacement battery before it gets installed under the driver's seat.

Get a VAG COM cable or pay your local dealership ~$100 to reprogram the system to know that a new battery has been installed.

Reason for the reprogramming (after talking to an Audi Master Technician)- the Q7 recharges a new battery less than an older battery. The Serial number of the battery has its 'Born On' date. It uses that information to know that a battery is brand new vs. 3 years old. It will recharge the 3 year old battery more so than a newly installed battery, assuming that you programmed the system properly. If you don't tell the system that a new battery has been installed- it will overcharge the new battery giving it a shorter life and probably kill it within a month.

You might first notice that non-essential electronics won't turn on (i.e. radio, some interior lights, etc.) as the system will power all essential items needed to start the car.

Even if you kept the car on a trickle charger, the newly installed battery would still fail.

If you are a DIY person, buy the VAG Com, if not pay the dealership to reprogram the car if you are handy enough to replace the battery yourself.

Typical replacement costs from dealership for OEM battery remove, replace, and reprogram is ~$600.

Interstate battery is ~$200.
Dealership reprogramming is ~$100.

VAG Com cable is $350.
Ross-Tech: Home
Would you advise me re buying VAG COM cable, please: Appart from battery reprograming what else I can do DIY with it? In other words if I pay £240 for a cable which I can use not any more? Thank you in advance.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Use the search function...there is a TON of stuff you can do with the VAG COM cable.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Note to anyone increasing the size of the battery (I went from 90 to 110Ah) - in addition to the mentioned tips re: programming with VCDS; you will need a longer positive cable for the battery! It is connected to a fuse box / distribution switch nearby so it's easy to replace) - unless you want to use some force on it like I did It's just barely long enough for a 110Ah battery but I'll never get it off again.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hi Dear

Originally Posted by arkbbq
I've had no starting problems with my 3-year old Q7 4.2, but after routine tests dealer says battery tested "bad" on amperage. His price to replace is $240 (hunh??) for a new battery plus $240 to install (have to R & R the driver's seat), for a total of $480. Seems nuts.
Dealer actually recommended I not replace the battery, rather wait till symptoms develop.
Anyone aware of a less costly alternative? -thanks

Yes we can do way cheaper for you, as we do professionally Roadside battery replacement 24 x 7 you can check our wedsite http://batteriesontheroad.com.au
but we just want to where is the car located?

Cheers
Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Flash from the past - this is a post of mine from 2009......

-ark
Old 11-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

VAGCOM is a must to have, battery regulation codes hint the battery is not up to snuff, battery change out is easy. You must code to the car. The repair manual walks you through it and if you search ross-tech vag-com forum, the vagcom steps are posted to give you the right steps. I asked the question in there, when you get to the proper screen you have to click the button to activate the recoding, luckily i figured that part out without effin things up
Old 02-10-2015, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Moving seat with dead battery

Originally Posted by arkbbq
Flash from the past - this is a post of mine from 2009......

-ark
My battery is dead and will not take a charge. I accessed the battery and disconnected all cables and bolts. Unfortunately I cannot bend the seat enough to remove the battery. Is there a way to manually bend the seat? Open glove box or tailgate?
Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jaketanner
My battery is dead and will not take a charge. I accessed the battery and disconnected all cables and bolts. Unfortunately I cannot bend the seat enough to remove the battery. Is there a way to manually bend the seat? Open glove box or tailgate?
Any suggestions?
I just did the replacement a week ago in my wife's '11 and you should have enough room to just tip the seat backwards and have it rest on the back seat. Just have the seatback all the way forward, and the seat far enough forward (without hitting the steering wheels when you tip it backwards) and you should be able to tip the seat back far enough to pull/put a new battery in.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adriangroom
Battery has to be coded in to work with the power management.
"Happy wife = Happy life."