Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Just one drain and refill, dont flush.. there will still be some left in the trans cooler and stuff but its fine and will mix with the fresh fluid and be 90%+ new oil.. Its better to DIY than take it to some lube shop thats for sure.. I wouldn't even trust the dealer unless I marked the filler port and visually verified they did it and not just claim they did after pocketing your money.

You can go over to tdiclub and read about, not alot of Audis over there but you'll find 500k mile MK4 VW's that been tuned for almost all of that.. The most unreliable part of all modern diesels is emissions components mandated by EPA, I think pretty much every post fix failure I've seen is emissions related, AdBlue Sensors, AdBlue Pumps, DPFs, EGR Coolers, Exhaust Sensors.. etc, once you remove all that stuff, it cant fail on you anymore.. the next most unreliable component on a Common Rail Diesel is the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP), if they let go they completely wreck the entire fuel system from its very expensive injectors to the fuel tank and everything in-between.. but if you put in the DarkSide CP3 pump conversion and 2Micron filter then thats not happening, the pump is proven to be far more reliable and the 2micron filter would catch all the metal flakes before it contaminated everything if it were to grenade.

My previous diesel one of the first thoughts that came to my head as I was driving it home from the tuner was: "Damn this is how VW shoulda done it, but the EPA wouldn't let em".. the tune was mild, didnt make it much faster or anything.. but damn it ran better, never hesitated and was far more responsive, fuel economy went up dramatically but it wasent like tuning a gas turbo VW where the power difference was dramatic and my wife was: "WTH did you do to my car, how much money did you spend!?", She never knew the diesel was tuned until I fessed up a few weeks later.

Remember post-fix TDI's were not tuned by VW for performance, efficiency or reliability.. they were tuned to get the EPA off their asses and minimize penalties.. at this point any aftermarket tune would make them better IMO, even the crap APR puts out.. The guys over at Malone and Kerma have their entire businesses wrapped up around TDI's, and if theres anything TDI Enthusiasts demand its reliability and efficiency.. if they were to start killing VW/Audi's with crappy and unsafe tunes the'd be out of business in a heartbeat, not sticking around for over 2 decades.. I cant recall ever seeing any negative feedback about either company and I'm a long term TDI enthusiast.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-20-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Just one drain and refill, dont flush.. there will still be some left in the trans cooler and stuff but its fine and will mix with the fresh fluid and be 90%+ new oil.. Its better to DIY than take it to some lube shop thats for sure.. I wouldn't even trust the dealer unless I marked the filler port and visually verified they did it and not just claim they did after pocketing your money.

You can go over to tdiclub and read about, not alot of Audis over there but you'll find 500k mile MK4 VW's that been tuned for almost all of that.. The most unreliable part of all modern diesels is emissions components mandated by EPA, I think pretty much every post fix failure I've seen is emissions related, AdBlue Sensors, AdBlue Pumps, DPFs, EGR Coolers, Exhaust Sensors.. etc, once you remove all that stuff, it cant fail on you anymore.. the next most unreliable component on a Common Rail Diesel is the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP), if they let go they completely wreck the entire fuel system from its very expensive injectors to the fuel tank and everything in-between.. but if you put in the DarkSide CP3 pump conversion and 2Micron filter then thats not happening, the pump is proven to be far more reliable and the 2micron filter would catch all the metal flakes before it contaminated everything if it were to grenade.

My previous diesel one of the first thoughts that came to my head as I was driving it home from the tuner was: "Damn this is how VW shoulda done it, but the EPA wouldn't let em".. the tune was mild, didnt make it much faster or anything.. but damn it ran better, never hesitated and was far more responsive, fuel economy went up dramatically but it wasent like tuning a gas turbo VW where the power difference was dramatic and my wife was: "WTH did you do to my car, how much money did you spend!?", She never knew the diesel was tuned until I fessed up a few weeks later.

Remember post-fix TDI's were not tuned by VW for performance, efficiency or reliability.. they were tuned to get the EPA off their asses and minimize penalties.. at this point any aftermarket tune would make them better IMO, even the crap APR puts out.. The guys over at Malone and Kerma have their entire businesses wrapped up around TDI's, and if theres anything TDI Enthusiasts demand its reliability and efficiency.. if they were to start killing VW/Audi's with crappy and unsafe tunes the'd be out of business in a heartbeat, not sticking around for over 2 decades.. I cant recall ever seeing any negative feedback about either company and I'm a long term TDI enthusiast.
That makes sense to me. I'll probably consider a tube once the emissions warranty runs out. I don't want to risk losing that warranty in the meantime. How much would you guess removing all of the emissions components would cost? I'm assuming there's a fair number of parts that have to have some aftermarket parts take their place.

I found out Arizona does not emissions test AWD vehicles beyond plugging into the OBD II port, check the gas tank for pressure, and make sure there are no check engine lights. I should have no problem removing emissions componrnts as long as they continue to do that.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

First of all if they plug into OBD2 port the'll see all your emissions gear is gone, so you better hope not.
Diesel vehicles are tested for opacity (smoke density). The test uses an opacity meter, which is an instrument that measures the percentage of opacity of the exhaust. In Tucson, light duty diesel vehicles up to 26,000 GVWR are tested under load on a dynamometer. Diesel vehicles over 26,000 GVWR are tested using a procedure called snap acceleration. In metro Phoenix, heavy duty diesel vehicles are tested using a procedure called "snap acceleration".
https://www.myazcar.com/why-and-how-we-test

That sounds alot like what I gotta go through here in Colorado.. and if its like here theres not many places capable of testing an AWD diesel on rollers.

To delete the emissions crap basically involves a new exhaust, and tune.. its about $700 for the delete, $600 for the tune.. another $700 or so if you do the fuel pump.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
First of all if they plug into OBD2 port the'll see all your emissions gear is gone, so you better hope not.

https://www.myazcar.com/why-and-how-we-test

That sounds alot like what I gotta go through here in Colorado.. and if its like here theres not many places capable of testing an AWD diesel on rollers.

To delete the emissions crap basically involves a new exhaust, and tune.. its about $700 for the delete, $600 for the tune.. another $700 or so if you do the fuel pump.
I'll make sure to pay attention when I emissions test the Q7 after buying it. $1,300 seems reasonable for al of that if it improves performance and fuel economy. I was planning on doing the fuel pump either way.