Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Side Mirror Motor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q7 Side Mirror Motor Issues

My 2007 Q7 with Side Assist has had both side motors go bad within 3 months of each other. They stopped moving the mirror up and down, though still go side to side. I found the second one going bad three months later with the same issue pretty ironic. The dealer had to replace the motor at a $300 cost. Anyone else have issues with the side mirror motors? Is there any TSBs out there. This has been a garaged car with only 30K on it.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 AM
F2F
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only had my car for a few months but have Side Assist - no problems as yet. Will keep an eye on it now.

Not heard of this problem before - but something to worry about if it has effected both sides!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by F2F
Only had my car for a few months but have Side Assist - no problems as yet. Will keep an eye on it now.

Not heard of this problem before - but something to worry about if it has effected both sides!
Yep- there was another thread about this a couple of months ago. My drivers side went out(up and down) and was replaced under the CPO. Hope the other one dies before it runs out in March. I wonder if the motors were upgraded in later years or if everyone will be complaining about them over time.

The part is $69 if you want to try it yourself(no idea how hard it is to do):

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2815901
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2007 Q7 Mirror Motor Replace

I did the motors myself. Both the left and right side failed.
Move the mirror all the way to one side and you can see behind the glass.
This one I'm showing is the driver side. When you look behind the glass, you
can see two tabs that I am showing with a screw driver. Use a long skinny flat
head and try to pry these two tabs until they brake loose from the motor.
When you have these two tabs loose, the glass then will rotate and the rest of the tabs will let go. If you brake a tab, you will have to get a new glass assembly I believe.
Looking at the rest of the pictures, you can see that the glass assembly has 6 tabs. The motor is held on by 3 torx screws. Easy to remove.
When placing the glass back into place, align the tabs with the motor and press the glass in until the tabs snap into place.
The motor in the picture shows the rear dust cover off. You don't have to do this.
Easy job just take your time with the first two tabs.

Last edited by --OOOO--Audifox; 11-29-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

my mirror seems to be loose, is there a way to tighten it back down, nevermind found it in the repair manual

Last edited by markray; 09-04-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like an old thread, was wondering if anyone else having their side view mirror motors fail? Drivers motor was replaced months ago, today the passenger mirror appears to have same failure. Wont move up or down, will move a little side to side.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine just failed too. It's a 2007 Q7 4.2 with 43k miles.

Opened everything up and I see 2 little motors with some gearing mechanisms. The lube appears to be dried up and the gearing seems to be a little worn. I lubed everything again and the arms that control the movements of the mirror were moving fine before I put everything back together. But after putting everything back, the arms couldn't move as I believe there is too much friction and the motors too weak. It's time to order the motor #7L6959577
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New motor appears to have a problem now, drivers mirror will move side to side somewhat, no up and down at all... Hate to even bring it back to the dealer (and I have an Audi extended warr)--had them reattatch rocker/door rubber molding to the affordable tune of $29.99. I did not mind the $30, i spent too much time trying to reatattch it myself. What I did mind was the 2 horizontal scratches thru the paint/clear on the inside of each door right above the molding... I can see 1 accident with whatever tool they were using but then to do it again that is unacceptable.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2007MY motors failed long ago. I just adjust the mirrors by hand. The motor replacement looks easy though--I may try that.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the DIY, going to order motor and give it a go....

Quick Reply: Q7 Side Mirror Motor Issues