Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 tailgate design

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Q7 tailgate design

Anyone else bang their head on the tailgate when attempting to enter the rear hatch from the side? I've done this 2 or 3 times now and can't help but wonder if it should have been designed such that there is no overhang on either side.

Have a welt the size of a golf ball ony forehead right now so perhaps I am a bit dazed writing this post.
The following users liked this post:
sfcameraman (03-21-2020)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your tailgate lifting to its full extent?

I am 6ft 4ins and have never hit my head on it, or at least, not yet!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

You might need to check and or replace the struts that support the hatch. The less lift they have the more sag, and more stress on the hydraulic assist that actually opens the hatch.

4L0827552F
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-q7-4l0827552f
Old 01-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

You can adjust how high the hatch opens. Your hatch must be set too low.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
I've actually got a poverty spec model with no power lift gate. It does go all the way open its just that the design means that there is a large overhand on either side so the opening is not the same as on the front which I guess confuses my small brain. It must be just me
Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012Q7204
Anyone else bang their head on the tailgate when attempting to enter the rear hatch from the side? I've done this 2 or 3 times now and can't help but wonder if it should have been designed such that there is no overhang on either side.

Have a welt the size of a golf ball ony forehead right now so perhaps I am a bit dazed writing this post.
This is one of my major problems with the Q7. I've been dealing with rear hatches since the 1987 Plymouth Voyager, and this is the only one I've (literally) run into with the sides hanging down. Even the hatch on the tiny Honda Fit clears my head. Somebody please tell me how to adjust the opening height.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerwillow1
This is one of my major problems with the Q7. I've been dealing with rear hatches since the 1987 Plymouth Voyager, and this is the only one I've (literally) run into with the sides hanging down. Even the hatch on the tiny Honda Fit clears my head. Somebody please tell me how to adjust the opening height.
If the opening height has been set lower than you’d like you can gently but firmly push it higher when the motor has stopped opening the hatch. The Q7 should then “learn” the new stop point and it will then open to the higher set point in the next opening cycle. Don’t force it in case it was already at its highest point!To set a lower opening point, block the door from opening by holding/grabbing the door at the new lower height you’d like to set it too. The motor will sense the resistance and stop, which will then let the Q7 learn the new height to stop at.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the cost of that beautifully designed and graceful clamshell rear tailgate. Artistic form over function.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Lurker
If the opening height has been set lower than you’d like you can gently but firmly push it higher when the motor has stopped opening the hatch. The Q7 should then “learn” the new stop point and it will then open to the higher set point in the next opening cycle. Don’t force it in case it was already at its highest point!To set a lower opening point, block the door from opening by holding/grabbing the door at the new lower height you’d like to set it too. The motor will sense the resistance and stop, which will then let the Q7 learn the new height to stop at.
I obviously haven't read all 428 pages of the owners manual , so that you for pointing this out. Unfortunately it doesn't help a lot. After the gate stopped automatically I was able to raise it another few inches by hand, to the strut limits, and was really optimistic. I did the reset procedure, but future openings stopped at the same too-low height as when I started. I thought maybe the struts were weak, but they feel plenty strong to me, and when the gate is going up and I give it an assist by hand, the motor still stops where it has been stopping all the time. So it looks like I can raise he gate to a safe-for-me height by hand if I want to. Of course I won't remember that until I bang my head! I was and still am pretty scared to move the gate by hand, fearing I'll break something.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
Whoops, totally didn't even think of that! Not that he has it anyways, but I'll say I skipped past the easy win and went all 'dealer parts replacing'!

Quick Reply: Q7 tailgate design