Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI Cold Weather Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q7 TDI Cold Weather Diesel?

Anyone have their Q7 TDI not start due to the wrong diesel? Happened to a friend, tow truck driver told him to get keep trying till it started then take to a local gas station that had 'cold weather diesel', took 30 mins but eventually started then we went to get fuel, fixed. He had a Toureg, wondered it ever happened to Q7s.

Never heard of this... never had a diesel...
Old 01-05-2016, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

nope

Cold weather diesel at all gas station change over around Oct time frame.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Anyone have their Q7 TDI not start due to the wrong diesel? Happened to a friend, tow truck driver told him to get keep trying till it started then take to a local gas station that had 'cold weather diesel', took 30 mins but eventually started then we went to get fuel, fixed. He had a Toureg, wondered it ever happened to Q7s.

Never heard of this... never had a diesel...
Someone will correct me, but there are generally two types of Diesel available during the year, summer blend and winter blend. Winter blend sold Nov-March ish and it contains additives (who knows what) that help it from gelling in cold weather. So in extreme cold weather, with "summer blend" still in the tank, the diesel can start to gel and so not start in an engine. Same for folks who heat with oil and have their tank outside, sometimes the heating oil (diesel) will gel and so their boiler or furnace will not light, mixing the heating oil with kerosene is often a solution for outside tanks.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your friend should look at something like these:

http://powerservice.com/find-my-product/#1

If he was carrying a bottle of the red 911 he could have helped himself without having to call the tow guy. I keep a bottle handy just in case.

Also, whether gas or diesel in colder weather, it's a good idea to fill up around the quarter tank mark rather than running closer to empty. Helps avoid the freezing/gelling when there's more fuel in the tank.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Diesel fuel is supposed to be adjusted by region and anticipated low temp during a given season. (There's a map of the USA showing this.)

A typical problem scenario would be someone filling up in San Fran and then traveling out to Tahoe where the night time low temps would be very different. Proper use of a winterizing additive PRIOR to the fuel gelling can help avoid being stuck early in the morning.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Diesel fuel is supposed to be adjusted by region and anticipated low temp during a given season. (There's a map of the USA showing this.)

A typical problem scenario would be someone filling up in San Fran and then traveling out to Tahoe where the night time low temps would be very different. Proper use of a winterizing additive PRIOR to the fuel gelling can help avoid being stuck early in the morning.
lol, exactly what happened. Filled up in SF, let the car sit in Tahoe in sub 10 degree weather for 2 days, then no startie.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So yikes. I'm in SF and will be going to Tahoe in a couple months to ski. Do the Bay Area gas stations not stock cold weather diesel? I'm in east bay and it gets down to freezing but we've not had issues yet. Tahoe will be colder though.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Tahoe will be a LOT colder.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lentiman
So yikes. I'm in SF and will be going to Tahoe in a couple months to ski. Do the Bay Area gas stations not stock cold weather diesel? I'm in east bay and it gets down to freezing but we've not had issues yet. Tahoe will be colder though.
fill up closer to tahoe otherwise you will be stuck...
Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lentiman
Cancel the trip, I'll go.

Quick Reply: Q7 TDI Cold Weather Diesel?