AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Q7 towing and Adaptive Chassis package? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/q7-towing-adaptive-chassis-package-2940698/)

mkassab 01-11-2018 04:18 AM

Q7 towing and Adaptive Chassis package?

I'm new to this forum and the search I performed didn't provide the results I needed... so here goes. If this question has been answered, maybe someone can point me to the thread

I'm looking at purchasing a Q7 and intend to tow an RV with it. With the research I've done, the 7700lb tow package has caveats, e.g., the hitch/ball can only be 6" or 8" long and you can NOT use a load leveling hitch system..... based on my understanding it's because the hitch they use and the way it's attached can't handle the torque or twist a load leveler would put on it. Therefore, if the tongue weight limit, as I've read on a 7700lb hitch is 770 lb.... and no load leveler, the ass end of the Q7 would really drop. Does the Adaptive chassis package level this out and take care of the issue?

Thanks Mark

timshuwy 01-11-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mkassab (Post 25094853)
I'm new to this forum and the search I performed didn't provide the results I needed... so here goes. If this question has been answered, maybe someone can point me to the thread

I'm looking at purchasing a Q7 and intend to tow an RV with it. With the research I've done, the 7700lb tow package has caveats, e.g., the hitch/ball can only be 6" or 8" long and you can NOT use a load leveling hitch system..... based on my understanding it's because the hitch they use and the way it's attached can't handle the torque or twist a load leveler would put on it. Therefore, if the tongue weight limit, as I've read on a 7700lb hitch is 770 lb.... and no load leveler, the ass end of the Q7 would really drop. Does the Adaptive chassis package level this out and take care of the issue?

Thanks Mark

First off, you might try checking in the https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...iscussion-211/ forum which is for the new generation Q7s (2016 and beyond).
Secondly, I did some research, and one of the reasons I purchased the 2018 Q7 Prestige with Adaptive Chassis was because of the increased tongue weight and tow limits.
1. It is my understanding that you should NOT use load leveling... if the hitch is not designed for it, the torque will destroy your car (I have personal experience where it ALMOST pulled the hitch off the Q5 when going over speed bump).
2. Factory Tow package also includes WIRING for brake control, but you have to purchase ($99?) a brake controller and install or have it installed.
3. Adaptive Chassis DOES account for factory Tow Hitch, and automatically changes the air suspension.
4. Adaptive Chassis also provides 4 wheel steering making it easier to handle.
5. the Rear vision camera and parking automatically changes when you are trailering so that backup warning sensors don't beep, and the camera has a hitch guidance line for hooking up.

I have NOT yet had a chance to try my trailer yet. I used to have a 2011 Q5 that could "just barely" tow my 3000 lb/300+Tongue weigth trailer.. it was good on flat land, but going up mountains felt a little under powered. Looking foward to towing my camper up to 10,000 feet this summer at Rock Creek Lake in Eastern Sierra Nevadas.

mkassab 01-11-2018 12:28 PM

Thanks Tim.... very useful information. Have you read/heard the same thing about not using a load leveling hitch system?

Mark

timshuwy 01-11-2018 05:01 PM

I saw someone else post something about load leveling being bad.. Since the car manual does NOT mention ability to use load leveling, I would not try without someone from AudiUSA approval.
How much are you attempting to tow? One I read about in tow limits is that they are based not only on strength of car's engine, but also on the weight of the vehicle, and the braking ability. if the ratio of the trailer to vehicle weight is wrong, you stand a higher probability of jackknife.

mkassab 01-12-2018 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by timshuwy (Post 25095197)
I saw someone else post something about load leveling being bad.. Since the car manual does NOT mention ability to use load leveling, I would not try without someone from AudiUSA approval.
How much are you attempting to tow? One I read about in tow limits is that they are based not only on strength of car's engine, but also on the weight of the vehicle, and the braking ability. if the ratio of the trailer to vehicle weight is wrong, you stand a higher probability of jackknife.

I'll most likely be in the 6K range, plus the trailer will have brakes..... I was mostly worried about the tongue weight and Audi specifying No Load Leveling hitch. I'm just doing my research as I haven't bought the RV yet and wanted to ensure "all good" before I bought the RV.

Thanks again, Mark

s5blitzer 01-12-2018 05:13 AM

I specifically stopped myself from buying the MY18 SQ5 because the Airstream Sport 22FB has a max tow weight of 4,500 lbs and 450 tongue weight and it was cutting it way too close for my comfort. My new MY18 Q7 will do a better job at towing but since I picked one up at a year end deal, the Q7 did come with a towing package (extra $1,800 to install one on the SQ5 after the sale) with the 7-pin connector option, however, it did not come with the adaptive suspension option. I am still trying to research if there are any disadvantages not being able to use a weight distribution hitch with the Airstream. If there are anyone out there who are familiar with the Airstream Sport 22' FB, please share your towing experience.

Thanks!

Edd W 01-12-2018 05:15 AM

Is this a 2016 on model or the 2006 to 2015 model Q7 - Mk1 or Mk2 ?

The tow hitch spec varies as does the weight limit but the self levelling will still work on either car to level the whole thing.

mkassab 01-12-2018 05:54 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...b4d6b0926d.jpgQ7 Hitch

timshuwy 01-12-2018 03:57 PM

If that is the same hitch as included in the factory hitch install (and it appears to be), then it doesn't seem to have the support for a load leveling hitch. Load leveling applies front/back torque, especially when going over bumps or in dips. the load leveler basically forces a straight line between the front tires, rear tires, and the trailer tires. but if you leave off the load leveler, the trailer is allowed to pivot on the hitch's ball.
All that said, I would not use load leveler.. the air suspension is supposed to take care of leveling the car.

s5blitzer 01-12-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by timshuwy (Post 25095617)
If that is the same hitch as included in the factory hitch install (and it appears to be), then it doesn't seem to have the support for a load leveling hitch. Load leveling applies front/back torque, especially when going over bumps or in dips. the load leveler basically forces a straight line between the front tires, rear tires, and the trailer tires. but if you leave off the load leveler, the trailer is allowed to pivot on the hitch's ball.
All that said, I would not use load leveler.. the air suspension is supposed to take care of leveling the car.

Tim,

Looks like you're knowledgeable about the topic of towing a travel trailer. Is the load leveler you mentioned the same the "weight distribution hitch" that Audi does not support"

Thanks!