Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 towing and Adaptive Chassis package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mkassab
Check this out..... anti-sway for the trailers breaks.... https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...s/HA81775.html

Pretty cool device. Makes sense to me for the ultimate piece of mind.

Mark
AMAZON has this same model for $60 LESS... lots of good reviews
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
Yup... they DO may anti-sway bars that are distinct from non-recommended Weight Distribution systems... https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wei...trol_Only.aspx
THAT SAID... I also went to the VIN Decoder Here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vindecoder.php which SAYS that the car does have "Towing w/Trailer Sway Control"... wondering if maybe the car already compensates for sway with electronic braking or something?
  • Engine: 3.0L TFSI V6 DOHC
  • 3.204 Axle Ratio
  • GVWR: 6,479 lbs
  • Engine Auto Stop-Start Feature
  • Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler
  • Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • 75-Amp/Hr 420CCA Maintenance-Free Battery w/Run Down Protection
  • Regenerative 180 Amp Alternator
  • Towing w/Trailer Sway Control
  • 1367# Maximum Payload
  • Gas-Pressurized Shock Absorbers
  • Front And Rear Anti-Roll Bars
  • Electric Power-Assist Speed-Sensing Steering

Great discussion and information about the anti-sway bars.

I did check with the VIN decoder and this is what it provided for my MY18 Q7. Can someone shed any light about the description "Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt."? Thanks!

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.7700 lbs 7700.0 min 7700.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch -Max Tongue Wt.770 lbs 770.0 min 770.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.7700 lbs 7700.0 min 7700.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.770 lbs 770.0 min 770.0 max
Maximum Trailering Capacity7700 lbs 7700.0 min 7700.0 max

Last edited by s5blitzer; 01-26-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your question: Can someone shed any light about the description "Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt."? Thanks!

I already did. Look back a few posts and I have a link to etrailer.com when they have a very good description on Wt Dist.

Mark
Old 01-26-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your question: Can someone shed any light about the description "Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt."? Thanks!

I already did. Look back a few posts and I have a link to etrailer.com when they have a very good description on Wt Dist.

Mark
Apologies if I wasn't clear. Yes, I saw your post and appreciate it but but the description came from the VIN decoder tech specs for my vehicle listed this - Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.7700 lbs 7700.0 min 7700.0 max.

Is it saying the factory tow hitch is a weight distributing hitch? I highly doubt so. Just wanted some thoughts on the way the description is listed.

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The hitch on the Q7 is not a weight dist hitch
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Apologies if I wasn't clear. Yes, I saw your post and appreciate it but but the description came from the VIN decoder tech specs for my vehicle listed this - Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.7700 lbs 7700.0 min 7700.0 max.
Is it saying the factory tow hitch is a weight distributing hitch? I highly doubt so. Just wanted some thoughts on the way the description is listed.
Thanks again!
Mine had the same thing, but if you look, the weight limits do not change with/without the wt Distributing Hitch"... I don't think that the VIN identifier is telling you to USE this type of hitch... I think that this is a template that they use for all cars/trucks to show what the specs are for various uses... and in our case, they are the same.
ALSO, the car's manual wins here... it SPECIFICALLY calls out NOT to use a Weight Distributing Hitch. From page 92 of my 2018 manual: "WARNING - Never mount a "weight -distributing" or "load-balancing" trailer coupler as the trailer hitch. The vehicle was not designed for these types of trailer hitches. The trailer hitch can malfunction and the trailer can break off from the vehicle."
Seems clear enough to me.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine had the same thing, but if you look, the weight limits do not change with/without the wt Distributing Hitch"... I don't think that the VIN identifier is telling you to USE this type of hitch... I think that this is a template that they use for all cars/trucks to show what the specs are for various uses... and in our case, they are the same.
ALSO, the car's manual wins here... it SPECIFICALLY calls out NOT to use a Weight Distributing Hitch. From page 92 of my 2018 manual: "WARNING - Never mount a "weight -distributing" or "load-balancing" trailer coupler as the trailer hitch. The vehicle was not designed for these types of trailer hitches. The trailer hitch can malfunction and the trailer can break off from the vehicle."
Seems clear enough to me.

Agree about the Audi Owner's Manual disclaimer/warning message. Thanks for clarifying my newbie mind in the world of towing.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I believe the Air Suspension would not detect or change with trailer sway, but does detect "out of level" with sensors, so when weight is added to the hitch to cause the rear to sag down, the air will bring the rear back to level.

Mark
I am acutely aware of the level control when towing, it works when pulling a dump trailer, a horse trailer, an open car trailer or a 20ft enclosed car trailer ;-)

I just re-read the Q7 sway control info in an Audi document, it definitely uses the brakes. I suspect that the suspension would react as a result of the various sensors, but not as a part of the logic of the sway control. Regardless, the Q7 tows like a longer wheelbase vehicle than it is, especially when equipped with the air suspension.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

First off, you might try checking in the https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...iscussion-211/ forum which is for the new generation Q7s (2016 and beyond).
Secondly, I did some research, and one of the reasons I purchased the 2018 Q7 Prestige with Adaptive Chassis was because of the increased tongue weight and tow limits.
1. It is my understanding that you should NOT use load leveling... if the hitch is not designed for it, the torque will destroy your car (I have personal experience where it ALMOST pulled the hitch off the Q5 when going over speed bump).
2. Factory Tow package also includes WIRING for brake control, but you have to purchase ($99?) a brake controller and install or have it installed.
3. Adaptive Chassis DOES account for factory Tow Hitch, and automatically changes the air suspension.
4. Adaptive Chassis also provides 4 wheel steering making it easier to handle.
5. the Rear vision camera and parking automatically changes when you are trailering so that backup warning sensors don't beep, and the camera has a hitch guidance line for hooking up.

I have NOT yet had a chance to try my trailer yet. I used to have a 2011 Q5 that could "just barely" tow my 3000 lb/300+Tongue weigth trailer.. it was good on flat land, but going up mountains felt a little under powered. Looking foward to towing my camper up to 10,000 feet this summer at Rock Creek Lake in Eastern Sierra Nevadas.
Hello,

You mentioned:

3. Adaptive Chassis DOES account for factory Tow Hitch, and automatically changes the air suspension.

Are we able to deactivate the adaptive suspension which I was told we need to do when we hitch the tow vehicle to a travel trailer? You me mentioned that if we have the factory tow package and adaptive suspension will change the air suspension itself? So the vehicle sense it?

4. Adaptive Chassis also provides 4 wheel steering making it easier to handle.

I’m likely going to get a Q7 or Q8 and lean toward the suspension package although I’ve heard at say “yes” but also many that say no. I think it’s is nice to have and with the 4 wheel steering I hear it’s turn radius is like an A4 small sedan...
Old 12-05-2020, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
I specifically stopped myself from buying the MY18 SQ5 because the Airstream Sport 22FB has a max tow weight of 4,500 lbs and 450 tongue weight and it was cutting it way too close for my comfort. My new MY18 Q7 will do a better job at towing but since I picked one up at a year end deal, the Q7 did come with a towing package (extra $1,800 to install one on the SQ5 after the sale) with the 7-pin connector option, however, it did not come with the adaptive suspension option. I am still trying to research if there are any disadvantages not being able to use a weight distribution hitch with the Airstream. If there are anyone out there who are familiar with the Airstream Sport 22' FB, please share your towing experience.

Thanks!
what have you ended up doing with towing? Which vehicle and how has it been? I’m likely going to get a Q7 or Q8 and it will have the factory tow package, 7 pin, and we will tow a flying cloud 23’.

Quick Reply: Q7 towing and Adaptive Chassis package?