Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Quattro technical details. Anyone want to educate me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quattro technical details. Anyone want to educate me?

It's full-time AWD, and what's the power split? 50:50? or does more to the front/rear?

If the front wheels begin to slip, will the power go to the back, while the ESP/Traction Control is braking the front wheels? Can the power be transferred between each wheels in a certain axle, like if the front right wheel doesn't have traction, will the power go to the front left?

I'm asking because I noticed that when I flooring the car, while coming out of a parking lot today, the ESP light was flashing, and I think the front lost traction, or they all did, but within a plit second, I think it went to the back, and we kept moving on.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
SGI
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quattro technical details. Anyone want to educate me?

quattro generation V
Starting from 2006 on Audi Q7 and B7 platform RS4. Will become the standard fitment on all future quattro Audis with longitudinal engine layout.

What: Permanent all wheel drive.

Torsen center differential, 40:60 split front-rear, automatically apportioning up to 80% of torque transfer to the front axle and up to 100% torque to the rear axle.

Open rear differential, electronic differential lock (EDL).

Open front differential, electronic differential lock (EDL).

How: In on-road conditions the car will not move if all four wheels lose traction. Torsen effect with one wheel in the air will not happen on quattro IV because EDL will apply brakes to individual spinning wheel, and Torsen differential will transfer the majority of torque to rear axle.

In off-road conditions (wheels in the air and an obstacle restricting the vehicle from moving forward) the car will still move when one front and one rear wheel lose traction. EDL will brake the single spinning wheel on an axle, transferring torque to the opposite wheel.

However, the Electronic Differential Lock is not a replacement for mechanical differential lock. If the braked wheels start to overheat, the EDL will temporarilly be disabled, and the car will end up stationary, spinning those wheels which have no traction.

hope this helps! The above was quoted from <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_%28all_wheel_drive_system%29">WIKIPEDIA</a> so if you want to read more. just aim your browser there.

-=SGI=-