Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Remote start for Q7

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snopyro
Issac- do you have any recommended installers in the California bay area (San Jose/San Franscisco) that could add a remote start to pre-warm the car, but won't put my car out of warranty?
X2 for Connecticut,

From what I understand if you put one in it voids any electrical warranty. But the mechanical warranty is in effected. Ya know, if I could put a spare key in the ignition start it and lock the door I'd be fine. But you can't even do that. I tried locking it manually then closing the door. And tried closing it and locking it with the remote still no good. So if the Q is sitting and warming with the key in it someone could just jump in and go.

You would think that Audi would have thought of this and made some provisions. I would even go as far as paying the dealer twice what a normal installer would get if they would do it. I like that Viper that uses a smart phone app. I don't want another key fob hanging around.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a shame Europeans are so worried about efficiency and idling laws, basically making remote starts a non-issue in the design process over there. Of course that transfers the issue to us here! Blast it.

I popped a couple topics up for my guys in the company for Sanfran/Sanjose Cali, CT, and Kalamazoo MI for y'all. I'll let you all know if I can find someone who can take the job on in your areas. I'll report my findings, and if no one in BestBuy wants it I'll see if any of my contacts from independent shops in the areas are interested!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool, thanks man.

Yeah I'm all about that Viper that uses a smart phone app now. You guys got me on the hunt for sure!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Touareg has a remote start available from VW in Europe. I'm sure we could retrofit one in a Q7
Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Got some techs for y'all at 2/3 of the locations so far!

Ctsearay, I'm still trying to find one of my guys in CT for you. I'm just going to have to fly out there I guess. My Dad lives in Boston so it'll be an excuse to come see family

Actually, I know of a guy in Queens New York who taught *me* how to do the disassembly on these trucks.. I'll PM you the contact info!

Stay warms y'all
Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Webasto do a remote control kit for the auxiliary heater -

A rather poor copy from a pdf on their web site.

Thermo Call
Webasto Thermo Call offers an easy and smooth way to operate your heating system. No need to use a
separate control panel -just simply use your phone. Whether you are using a fixed line or
a mobile phone your heater is always accessible, regardless of distance and ranges.
Suitable for all heating systems and types of vehicles!
The Thermo Call needs a SIM card with sufficient credit in order to operate. The optional feedback
function may result in additional SMS costs, dependant upon your contract.
The Webasto Thermo Call App has been developed specifically for use with the Thermo Call Version TC3
and is unsuitable for previous versions of Thermo Call.
Product Features:
• Direct on and off function via SMS or call.
• Programmable start-time up to 24 hours in advance.
• 7-days reminder function.
• Operation time setting and display of remaining heating time.
• Can operate two heaters or drive a remote relay to trigger other items such as the alarm or horn.
• Can operate as cabin thermostat.
• Alarm function can be fitted to alert low voltage or temperature.
• Temperature alarm (with optional sensor).
Download now!
Download the Thermo Call App in the Apple App Store, Windows Phone Store or Google Play Store
7100350C Thermo Call Upgrade Kit (Air Top Evo with MC controller only / Thermo Top /
Thermo 90 ST only)
T.B.A. Thermo Call Upgrade Kit (Air Top 2000 ST)
Old 12-18-2013, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isaac.troseth
It's a shame Europeans are so worried about efficiency and idling laws, basically making remote starts a non-issue in the design process over there. Of course that transfers the issue to us here! Blast it.

I popped a couple topics up for my guys in the company for Sanfran/Sanjose Cali, CT, and Kalamazoo MI for y'all. I'll let you all know if I can find someone who can take the job on in your areas. I'll report my findings, and if no one in BestBuy wants it I'll see if any of my contacts from independent shops in the areas are interested!
Thanks Isaac!
Got a voicemail message from a Best Buy installer in California. I'll need to call them back.

(Might also have to research the Touareg's Thermo Call feature and see how that works.)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably your best bet!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aufrustsatz-S...item27dc6c97b5
Old 01-17-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Issac (or anyone else)-

Has anyone used any of the iDataLink remote starter modules and let me know what the differences are between the iDL models (www.idatalink.com)

ADS-ALCA - Std, Keyless Entry, Security System, Comfort, Remote Start
ADS-DLSL CA2 - Std, Keyless Entry, Security System, Comfort, Remote Start
ADS-BLADE AL - Std, Keyless Entry, Security System, Comfort, Remote Start, Telematics)

vs.

the Viper remote start models?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Snopyro
Issac (or anyone else)-

Has anyone used any of the iDataLink remote starter modules and let me know what the differences are between the iDL models (www.idatalink.com)

ADS-ALCA - Std, Keyless Entry, Security System, Comfort, Remote Start
ADS-DLSL CA2 - Std, Keyless Entry, Security System, Comfort, Remote Start
ADS-BLADE AL - Std, Keyless Entry, Security System, Comfort, Remote Start, Telematics)

vs.

the Viper remote start models?

Thanks!
Sure thing,
The ADS-ALCA and ADS-DLSL CA2 are almost the exact same module, just under different brandings, basically. (The Flashlogic FLCAN is also in this family). The ADS-BLADE-AL is also the exact same thing internally, but is shapped differently so that it can dock directly into a Compustar 6200 series remote start brain.

They're great modules, but when it comes to a lot of VW/Audi stuff they pale in comparison to the DBALL by Viper/Directed. The big issues is that the IdataLink stuff will control locks, alarm, etc... but it doesn't give a conduit to start the vehicle.
The DBALL interfaces with more than just the CANbus system in the vehicle, including a couple wires at the steering column module that take care of electrically mimicking what happens when the key is turned to start the vehicle. In order to use any of the above modules you listed the install tech would have to reverse engineer what the DBALL does with relays and outputs from the remote start. Not that it couldn't be done, but it's quite a bit more complicated that way.

Quick Reply: Remote start for Q7